• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
600,000 people vaccinated in one day is incredibly impressive! Although it does make me wonder how it's going to work when those same 600,000 people need their second doese in 12 weeks time as well as whoever is due a first dose by then. I'm guessing there are plans to ramp up capacity to vaccinate even more by the time we are giving second doses en masse.

I don't wish to vilify a public hero, but him travelling to Barbados for Christmas just seems incredibly unwise to me.

Possibly but if I were his age I’d want to make the very most of the limited days I have left so can’t really blame him enjoying life!

Genuinely, genuinely remarkable news, guys; this doctor on Twitter has done some calculations, and predicts that every priority group in the country (over-50s, key workers, vulnerable etc.) could have been offered a first dose by 8th April if the current rate of vaccination continues:

Let’s hope the rate of vaccination stays strong; the light at the end of the tunnel seems to be getting a little bit brighter with every dose given!
EDIT: In more positive news, it would appear that we are getting good signs about the vaccine’s real-world effectiveness from Israel, which has vaccinated 54% of the population already and has seen hugely decreased case rates: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55706855

Is it me or does this sound worrying,

Captain Sir Tom Moore's family are with him in hospital after he was admitted with coronavirus, the hospital has said.

Source
BBC News - Covid-19: Captain Sir Tom Moore's family with him in hospital
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55895576

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
Could just be in response to the publicity. Each hospital/health board has had its own approach to visiting (and when the media draws attention to well known people).

Sent from my Huawei P30 Pro using Tapatalk

Over the last few days I’ve had some covid symptoms nothing major doubt it’s even covid but one thing I never expected was the sheer blatant breaking of the rules from my partners workplace. Soon as I had the symptoms come on I done what was expected get a test and self isolate until the test comes back, my partner rings her work and says she won’t be able to come in due to government guideline all fine. The next day her work rings her saying they are short staffed and they expect her to be in work and just travel with a mask, well it took me aback I never knew anyone could be that stupid but to demand someone who’s been in close contact with covid symptoms to attend work with high risk patients.

The rules are clear, you continue working if your partner has not had a positive covid test.
Been in the same situation myself, my wife had to self isolate due to a covid outbreak at work, I was still expected to go out to work, she was told to only get tested if she got symptoms.
I didn't work out of respect to my elderly clients, (and the fact I'm an idle gardener in winter), but the rules were stated by my wife's employer, and the government website...off to work you go.

The rules are clear, you continue working if your partner has not had a positive covid test.
Been in the same situation myself, my wife had to self isolate due to a covid outbreak at work, I was still expected to go out to work, she was told to only get tested if she got symptoms.
I didn't work out of respect to my elderly clients, (and the fact I'm an idle gardener in winter), but the rules were stated by my wife's employer, and the government website...off to work you go.
Believe it or not on the official government guidelines they are now that anyone in your in household that has covid symptoms the whole household must self isolate until the test results come back. So we are only following what’s been asked of us and we double checked and everyone we asked about said to follow the government guidelines.

It seems my Nain and Taid are losing the postcode lottery for their Vaccine. Both 80 with COPD and other heart/lung issues yet they haven't been vaccinated, yet we've seen other people on Facebook in the next village over state they've had theirs despite being younger and apparently not in the shielding category. In fact I've seen one surgery in Wrexham state they've vaccinated ~70% of their patients over 60. So I don't have any real confidence that the governments plans for priority groups when its fragmented and dependent on how useful your local practice is.

On the plus side my mum has had hers (Pfizer but she works on the AZ, go figure :D). She does suffer some extreme allergies so went into it with some major worries, raised them and she was told she would be fine. After all the worry she had a dead arm for a day! My Aunty who works in a care home had Pfizer, no allergies and had some mild symptoms post vaccine that lasted 24 hours. Everything seems so random in how the vaccine and the illness effects people, yet its our best path out of this mess.

I have been planning my first charity event post-COVID and hoping to build it as a product in a box. One that we can ramp up in as little as 4 weeks from when things start opening up. The distraction of doing this and the challenge of getting the timing right, ensuring it is run in the right conditions and making sure it makes pennies for charity has really lead to an uptick in my mental health.

I hope you are all finding similar distractions and looking forward to partying in your own style in a post-covid world :D

Believe it or not on the official government guidelines they are now that anyone in your in household that has covid symptoms the whole household must self isolate until the test results come back. So we are only following what’s been asked of us and we double checked and everyone we asked about said to follow the government guidelines.
My wife was sent home without symptoms due to contact issues, I wasn't doubting you, I was showing the rules are somewhat complex regarding who should isolate sometimes.

It seems my Nain and Taid are losing the postcode lottery for their Vaccine. Both 80 with COPD and other heart/lung issues yet they haven't been vaccinated, yet we've seen other people on Facebook in the next village over state they've had theirs despite being younger and apparently not in the shielding category. In fact I've seen one surgery in Wrexham state they've vaccinated ~70% of their patients over 60. So I don't have any real confidence that the governments plans for priority groups when its fragmented and dependent on how useful your local practice is.

This has been my moan and concerns in a few of my previous posts. They are on the priority list and should be first in line. They may yet to be contacted or overlooked (or a lost letter in the post), there were a similar case where a viewer wrote in on BBC Look East last night and the query was put to a guest who said that they should contact their GP just in-case they have been overlooked or the letter has got lost in the post. Your Nain and Taid should do the same and contact their GP regarding this.

There are many worried vulnerable disable people that are left off the priority list

Is it me or does this sound worrying,

Captain Sir Tom Moore's family are with him in hospital after he was admitted with coronavirus, the hospital has said.

People have been moaning/trolling on social media because he is given special treatment as many people have lost family members to covid, but have not been allowed to visit or go to say their last goodbyes.

UK Variant has mutated to now show similar antibody evasion to that found in the S African and Brazil variants. Its a slippery little sucker aint it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55900625

This isn’t widespread yet but it isn’t a surprise really. This virus is spreading so fast that it’s opportunities for mutation are endless, until infection rates drop these mutations will keep coming.

Im just glad it doesn’t mutate as fast as the Flu, a virus that spreads as easily as Covid with a mutation rate of the Flu would be a terrifying prospect!

Im just glad it doesn’t mutate as fast as the Flu, a virus that spreads as easily as Covid with a mutation rate of the Flu would be a terrifying prospect!

Of course, the precautions against COVID-19 mean that rates of the flu are reportedly down 95% on last year. It's been a rather roundabout way to kill it, I admit.

People have been moaning/trolling on social media because he is given special treatment as many people have lost family members to covid, but have not been allowed to visit or go to say their last goodbyes.

People having a moan is perfectly valid in my opinion.

EDIT: Just a note, this was posted before the news of his passing, and refers to the nationwide inconsistencies concerning visits for end of life care.

Last edited: