• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Indeed if we focus just on the virus and infections and nothing else, it's likely we'll deny people other NHS treatment that would cause deaths by other means. The balance needs to be struck between risk of the virus Vs risk of delayed treatment from other conditions and the other impacts of restrictions. Remembering that unemployment, poverty and mental health conditions are also killers.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

In terms of step 4; to save us the whole “will it, won’t it” discussion, would it not have been an idea to say that step 4 will occur “when the 7-day average of COVID cases is lower than x” or “when we’ve fully vaccinated y% of adults” or a similar data-related parameter to link in with the “data not dates” approach, as opposed to saying dates that the government may or may not be able to meet?

I know I shouldn’t question the government, though, as I can see the reasons why they did a dates approach (businesses need an idea of when they can reopen, and it’s nice to give the people of Britain some dates to work towards), and they know far better about how to do this than I do! I was only thinking; would using data as an indicator of when to progress as opposed to a date not mean a more guaranteed path out of lockdown?

Those are the 2 things to keep an eye on. Cases will probably sky rocket again especially if/when they go to the next level which is almost back to normal. The vaccines don't stop you from catching covid.

The only 2 figures that really matter are hospitalisations and deaths.

We are going to have to accept some ongoing deaths but as long as hospitals don't get over run and the death rate stays low (maybe no more than daily double digits) then I think we are going to have to get on with life.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
Agreed
It seems that we have somehow started to implement a zero covid policy which is never going to happen
Approx ten thousand ppl die a week in the Uk.
At some point we have get back to normal and live with this.
Hospital being overwhelmed is a bug bear of mine. Hospitals get over run every January with flu in an normal year, remember the headline of ppl waiting in corridors Pre pandemic???
What are the government doing to prepare for the autumn/influx this year? Probably nothing and we will be hearing the same requests to lockdown to help the strain.

Goal posts keep moving and everyone is getting bored of it.
Remember data not dates lol
Remember freedom once all the vulnerable were vaccinated lol
Then it was over 50s
Then it was all needed double jab
Now the media feed is talking about 12-15 yo
Now the slow media feed is June 21st is in doubt because of certain variants

I’ve had enough of this country, I’m going to Portugal.......... oh poo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...what madness is this?
They’re the people leading our country, so I should trust their judgement. To get to where they are, they clearly know far more than me about what’s right and about the right course of action to take to protect the people of this country. They will have some valid reason as to why the government does what it does, leaving me with no leg to stand on if I was to question them, and they are my superiors, so I shouldn’t question them.

They’re the people leading our country, so I should trust their judgement. To get to where they are, they clearly know far more than me about what’s right and about the right course of action to take to protect the people of this country. They will have some valid reason as to why the government does what it does, leaving me with no leg to stand on if I was to question them, and they are my superiors, so I shouldn’t question them.
They show us quite literally daily why we shouldn't.

Think you've got a lot to learn about Governments. Lesson one in life, question everything.

This isn’t Belarus dude, questioning and challenging the elected government is a vital part of a democracy.

Oh Matt, you're such a lovely guy, but please tell me you're not being serious with this? Please remember that they are elected by YOU. YOU give them the power they have. YOU pay their wages and expenses through the taxes YOU pay. They are not your superiors at all, they are members of the public, who are not above the law, who are elected to form a government as a collective to govern those who put them in power in the first place. The power they have been given is granted by people like you and me and we have the right to take that away at every general election. They make laws that govern us, with permission from us. If you never question their actions, then democracy is dead.

Trusting them because you've made a balanced judgement to do so is fine, but trusting them blindly because you wrongly see them as superior to you is very dangerous.

Wow, yes they are the current elected people running our country but you have every right not to trust their judgment. We elect them. Sign the box to not elect them.
They are not my superiors, they are my/or not elected members to guide this country in the way you think it should be guided.

When all this covid calms down and the investigations come out (2 years) we will be appalled at how we dealt with it. Come on say it out loud, a criminal offense to hug someone outside your household. My god

I get Matts point. In theory we elect these people to run the country because we think they will be better at it than us. Like you'd hire a plumber because they'd do a better job of fixing your bathroom than you.

Unfortunately every election we end up with candidates no one really trust, who go on to make questionable decisions.

We should always question what a politicians motivations are. But it would be nice for once to have a government that makes enough sensible decisions that we don't have to question their every move.

Last edited:
Well I suppose I look at it like this. A plumber is more skilled than me, so I choose them to fix my bath leak. They're providing a service to me so are therefore working for me as I am the customer and I didn't have to choose them, I could've chosen another. I would question their expertise or motivations if they did a rubbish job.

In terms of Covid and this government, they've not only made my leak worse but they've flooded the lounge and my kitchen whilst they were at it.

Went to the cinema today(naughty me) only 7 people in for 18:15 viewing.
With a group of 3 and 2 sat directly in front of each other. Crazy

The also have the cinema police come around with their high viz vest on and infrared camera check for mask violations.

We have officially gone cuckoo

Well I suppose I look at it like this. A plumber is more skilled than me, so I choose them to fix my bath leak. They're providing a service to me so are therefore working for me as I am the customer and I didn't have to choose them, I could've chosen another. I would question their expertise or motivations if they did a rubbish job.

In terms of Covid and this government, they've not only made my leak worse but they've flooded the lounge and my kitchen whilst they were at it.

In that analogy the government took a small but serious leak and literally blew your boiler up.

At what point though do we say enough is enough and life must go on? There will be multiple variants that still haven't emerged. We can't keep doing this.

If you're in the vulnerable category for Covid and still haven't been jabbed then I'm sorry but that's now on you. Nobody is going to force anyone to take the jab but at the same time the rest of us don't want our lives being put on hold for much longer due to anti vaxxers.

I'm sick of hearing that they cause blood clots. I was reading the other day that the chances of you getting a blood clot if you catch Covid are roughly 16 times greater than if you have the jab itself. There's no logic in the madness. Quelle surprise eh?

Life needs to resume in the UK. International travel can be delayed for a while longer but the country needs to open up. It's tough luck time soon approaching. I'm not being locked down again anyway. Absolutely no chance.

A delay of a few weeks will be the end for many more businesses who are still just about hanging on. June 21st - open up.
Absolutely. The government is broke, many businesses are hanging by a thread, jobs are being lost, the NHS has a massive backlog for other conditions. The daily deaths are around the same level now as the amount of people that die on UK roads every day. There has to come a point where restrictions are putting more lives on the line than they claim to save.

It seems like they're over compensating for their failures last year.