• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Out of interest, is it known whether those in JCVI group 6 (underlying health conditions) are receiving booster vaccinations, or is it only those over 50 and those who shielded?

I only ask because I was interested to know whether I should expect to be called for a booster vaccine this winter. I was vaccinated early, as I was in JCVI group 6 during the initial vaccine rollout, and my 1st and 2nd doses were 27th March and 20th May. I initially wasn’t sure, but for what it’s worth, I’ve had 2 texts telling me I’m eligible for a flu vaccine in the last couple of weeks…

Yes, you will be eligible for a booster vaccine. My dad is in JCVI group 4 and I believe he got his booster invitation at the start of last week, just to give you an idea of where they might be in terms of timelines. My mum, in group 5, has not had her invitation yet.

I’ve got a few more weeks until I’m eligible for my booster, so at least I’ve got a rough idea of when I can have it.

Yes, you will be eligible for a booster vaccine. My dad is in JCVI group 4 and I believe he got his booster invitation at the start of last week, just to give you an idea of where they might be in terms of timelines. My mum, in group 5, has not had her invitation yet.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t they offering you a booster vaccine 6 months after your second dose? In that case, I won’t be eligible until at least 20th November regardless, as my second dose was 20th May.

I was only unsure because some things I’ve read online only said about “over 50s and the clinically extremely vulnerable”, while others said about “the top 9 JCVI priority groups”. If/when I’m offered it, I’ll certainly be taking it up, as I feel it’s important for me to take it in order to protect others, and there’s no shortage of COVID vaccines available from what I can gather.

I was initially going to take up the flu vaccine as well, but I was actually advised against it when I raised the possibility because the availability is apparently far more limited (therefore me taking it would take a vaccine from someone more in need), the flu vaccine isn’t as strong in terms of preventing transmission (therefore it’s only really for your own protection), and I’m not at any huge personal risk from flu.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t they offering you a booster vaccine 6 months after your second dose? In that case, I won’t be eligible until at least 20th November regardless, as my second dose was 20th May.

I was only unsure because some things I’ve read online only said about “over 50s and the clinically extremely vulnerable”, while others said about “the top 9 JCVI priority groups”. If/when I’m offered it, I’ll certainly be taking it up, as I feel it’s important for me to take it in order to protect others, and there’s no shortage of COVID vaccines from what I can gather.

Yes that is also right, it has to be six months on from your second dose, so it does not correlate perfectly with when different groups initially become eligible.

The NHS states that the following are eligible for boosters:
  • people aged 50 and over
  • people who live and work in care homes
  • frontline health and social care workers
  • people aged 16 and over with a health condition that puts them at high risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19
  • people aged 16 and over who are a main carer for someone at high risk from COVID-19
  • people aged 16 and over who live with someone who is more likely to get infections
If you were in JCVI group 6 previously, then I would imagine you are classified as a person aged over 16 with a health condition that puts them at high risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19.

I'm in group 6 but I don't have a clue when I had my second jab. I'm not worried because I really shouldn't even be in that group in the first place so I'm hoping people such as my mum get it before I do.

Out of interest, is it known whether those in JCVI group 6 (underlying health conditions) are receiving booster vaccinations, or is it only those over 50 and those who shielded?

I only ask because I was interested to know whether I should expect to be called for a booster vaccine this winter. I was vaccinated early, as I was in JCVI group 6 during the initial vaccine rollout, and my 1st and 2nd doses were 27th March and 20th May. I initially wasn’t sure, but for what it’s worth, I’ve had 2 texts telling me I’m eligible for a flu vaccine in the last couple of weeks…
Iirc the system for handling flu jabs isn't one national system like for covid, so probably? Unrelated.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

The press conference today was a worry to me.

I genuinely felt like this was a last plea from them to get people vaccinated in a hole it slows down what is clearly going to be a rougher time. Just look at Europe for instance.

It’s also the first time Boris has not confirmed an Xmas lockdown won’t happen.

Give them two weeks and masks / working from home will be back.

Give them two weeks and masks / working from home will be back.
Why don't they do it now? Or do the government plan to wait until it's too late again? Other countries in Europe are already applying more controls as hospitalisations begin to rise.

Bringing back some light touch restrictions early is surely the way to go. Psychologically that would also remind people that Coronavirus hasn't gone away and to take it a bit more seriously again.

Things would have to get extremely dire for there to be a lockdown over Christmas, I really do not think that the governmet have the appetite for another lockdown.

Thing is, a lot of people (and media) would condiser mandatory mask wearing and working from home as a lockdown, and those things are much more likely to happen (and probably should to be honest).

The amount of mask wearing in shops has drop in my locals shops. People are relaxing too much.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

It's really simple they could have done all the opening up while keeping mask mandates in shops and certain other public places. A mask mandate rule should have and still should come up for the winter and then go around February. This is something easy that people can do and the government should get away with it as it shouldn't be branded as a lockdown.
Do I think they'll do the right thing? No. They let the cases continue to rise and only focus on the vaccine programme. I agree the vaccine programme is the way out of this and that's done good for far however having cases dangerously high during Christmas doesn't help anyone. As much as people aren't getting ill with it because they've had the vaccine it might well affect there Christmas social life. Wearing a mask is an easy way to reduce the risk without sacralising the ability to do anything.

The biggest issue right now is the government trusting people to do the right thing

very little mask wearing oriole dodging tests not being vaccinated…. This is the reason we’re still in this

On a more positive note, I got my booster on Sunday afternoon in Crewe, in something that seems to have taken a chunk off a motorcycle dealership of all places. :p Arm's still a little sore, but nothing major. Slight headaches now and then, but paracetamol's my friend. Also, unusually for this one, I bled quite a bit as well (comparatively speaking). Not ideal, but it happens. I could've got it a bit closer to home, but I would've had to wait until December for that, and I just wanted to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Why all the doom and gloom all of a sudden? Infection rates are pretty stable having dipped significantly in the last couple of weeks, hospitalisations and deaths even more so.

I think the only chance we have of any further lockdown is if a variant properly breaks through the vaccination protection, and I've not seen any sign of that.

Why all the doom and gloom all of a sudden? Infection rates are pretty stable having dipped significantly in the last couple of weeks, hospitalisations and deaths even more so.

I think the only chance we have of any further lockdown is if a variant properly breaks through the vaccination protection, and I've not seen any sign of that.
Because there is a wider issue than just current infection rates. We now the virus spreads faster in the winter and more cases inevitably means more possible mutations. Mutations to theoretically could ruin all the progress that we've made because of vaccinations. Just partially stemming the potential by wearing a mask in the winter is that little bit extra help to attempt to just not allow the virus to be completely wide spread.
I don't think they'll be another lockdown and I don't want one. If we don't want full blown lockdowns occasionally we need to do certain things to prevent mass infection. I'm glad people don't really get ill with it because of vaccines but we really need to protect our own backs by doing the little things during the times when the virus is likely to be at its highest.
I think the main reason for current infection rates being really low is because they've been high over the past few months so many people have immunity as well as vaccines. This however will start to drop as we get into the really cold months like December and January and that could cause significant issues if we are not careful.

Because there is a wider issue than just current infection rates. We now the virus spreads faster in the winter and more cases inevitably means more possible mutations.

We can't preemptively destroy our economy on the just in case. If people are going to accept restrictions coming back they're going to need to be shown why, but there's nothing to show at moment. There's nothing i can see in the figures to cause worry.

We can't preemptively destroy our economy on the just in case. If people are going to accept restrictions coming back they're going to need to be shown why, but there's nothing to show at moment. There's nothing i can see in the figures to cause worry.
How is making mask mandatory supposed to destroy the economy? I don't want another lockdown I just want people to wear a mask for the winter. It should make zero difference to the economy as far as I can tell.