• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
So Austria will make it a legal requirement to have the vaccine next year ….. this will be interesting how that will play out! I don’t mind the vaccine but I also respect people’s choice not to have it. When a government forces someone to take a drug then that sits uncomfortably with me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59343650

I can't see that they'll forcibly inject people, more that the uninoculated will have freedoms and benefits removed increasingly restrictively.

So Austria will make it a legal requirement to have the vaccine next year ….. this will be interesting how that will play out! I don’t mind the vaccine but I also respect people’s choice not to have it. When a government forces someone to take a drug then that sits uncomfortably with me

Brave move if you ask me
Be interesting to see how the pans out

for me I’ve done everything I can. My attitude has changed somewhat now tk early on in the pandemic in that now we have a way out, injections and sensible personal choice (masks in enclosed spaces etc)

I for one don’t want to see any restrictions back. I genuinely feel for those who are getting Ill still but if your sensible and have the jabs available to you you should be ok..

It will be interesting to see if this is challenged in the European court of human rights.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

So, I finally have this thing. Well, I can't guarantee it, but I went to an event on Friday that was later found to be subject to an outbreak, despite having to take proof of vax along, as well as perform a test upon arrival. A friend I happened to meet both that night and the night before had a positive PCR. And so did my partner. I also have every common symptom for the vaccinated, except loss of taste/smell, fortunately; a persistent doziness (worse than usual!) and a cough being the most frustrating elements. We all did additional LFT tests that came back negative over several days, too. I could find out for absolute certain, but I'd rather not go wandering at this stage, and the system where I am is currently overwhelmed.

Continuing to rest up having been ill since Monday, and will take a paid PCR a week today to check I'm all clear.

There is a nasty bug going around as well, several people I know have had it with constant negative tests. Bad headaches, bad cough, feeling really ill, but no loss of taste/smell. Lasts a good month as well. Get better soon

There is a nasty bug going around as well, several people I know have had it with constant negative tests. Bad headaches, bad cough, feeling really ill, but no loss of taste/smell. Lasts a good month as well. Get better soon

Yup. I had the strong cold mid-October, and the effects are still being felt now. 2 PCRs and a dozen LFTs later... all negative. Had Covid back in Jan/Feb.

So, I finally have this thing. Well, I can't guarantee it, but I went to an event on Friday that was later found to be subject to an outbreak, despite having to take proof of vax along, as well as perform a test upon arrival. A friend I happened to meet both that night and the night before had a positive PCR. And so did my partner. I also have every common symptom for the vaccinated, except loss of taste/smell, fortunately; a persistent doziness (worse than usual!) and a cough being the most frustrating elements. We all did additional LFT tests that came back negative over several days, too. I could find out for absolute certain, but I'd rather not go wandering at this stage, and the system where I am is currently overwhelmed.

Continuing to rest up having been ill since Monday, and will take a paid PCR a week today to check I'm all clear.
That certainly sounds like COVID to me; hope you get better soon.

In terms of my own COVID encounters; my mum tested positive back in April 2020, and my dad & sister both had textbook symptoms. I had no symptoms, but given that the other 3 people living with me seemingly got it, as well as the fact that we didn't even attempt to distance from one another or take precautions within the house, I'd say it's a fair bet to assume that I may have had it asymptomatically.

I also had a close call with symptomatic COVID when one of my teachers came in to sixth form in December 2020 with textbook COVID symptoms (loss of taste/smell, cold-like symptoms and general bunged up feeling). She tested negative on a PCR and nothing ever came of it, but it was a close call for sure.

I haven't had any since, though; I've taken LFTs twice weekly between March and May for sixth form, and also twice weekly since September for university, and all have come back negative so far!

Last edited:
That certainly sounds like COVID to me; hope you get better soon.

In terms of my own COVID encounters; my mum tested positive back in April 2020, and my dad & sister both had textbook symptoms. I had no symptoms, but given that the other 3 people living with me seemingly got it, as well as the fact that we didn't even attempt to distance from one another or take precautions within the house, I'd say it's a fair bet to assume that I may have had it asymptomatically.

I also had a close call with symptomatic COVID when one of my teachers came in to sixth form in December 2020 with textbook COVID symptoms (loss of taste/smell, cold-like symptoms and general bunged up feeling). She tested negative on a PCR and nothing ever came of it, but it was a close call for sure.

I haven't had any since, though; I've taken LFTs twice weekly between March and May for sixth form, and also twice weekly since September for university, and all have come back negative so far!
I still can’t believe how irresponsible that teacher was coming into your school when they had COVID symptoms.

I still can’t believe how irresponsible that teacher was coming into your school when they had COVID symptoms.
In fairness, I think mild COVID can be a very easy thing for people to brush off, especially with the in-built culture of presenteeism in Britain when it comes to illness. My teacher had pretty mild symptoms, and probably thought little of it when she came in.

She did also tell us to sit away from her, so she did take some precautions, and let me reassure you that my headmistress dealt with the situation very rapidly once she caught wind of it...

That’s scary news. It all seems to have quiet on the rates again in the media. It’s like it’s all hush hush until Xmas is out the way so people spend their money in the shops and pubs

feels very weird atm
Apparently case numbers are very low at present. This variant is of course something to watch, but I wouldn't say it's quite time to worry just yet, as case numbers are very low and contained to a couple of countries.

The latest variant news in terms of Britain is actually pretty promising; a more transmissible "child of Delta" has come along, but it appears to be both less commonly symptomatic and less severe than Delta, as well as being equally stoppable by vaccines as Delta. This could well be the start of the virus mutating to become endemic and more akin to the other circulating coronaviruses, as many scientists predict.

I've already had this from late October, too. I'm a right state!

I hope you get better soon @Plastic Person , I'm surprised I'm yet to have COVID but I am glad I've avoided it so far 'fingers crossed'. I'm currently only single jabbed too although hoping to change that soon, so getting it could really mess me around. It really is such an unpredictable virus as it seems to effect everyone I know who's had it completely differently.

Apparently case numbers are very low at present. This variant is of course something to watch, but I wouldn't say it's quite time to worry just yet, as case numbers are very low and contained to a couple of countries.

The latest variant news in terms of Britain is actually pretty promising; a more transmissible "child of Delta" has come along, but it appears to be both less commonly symptomatic and less severe than Delta, as well as being equally stoppable by vaccines as Delta. This could well be the start of the virus mutating to become endemic and more akin to the other circulating coronaviruses, as many scientists predict.
Case numbers are not very low at the moment, confirmed cases are low, there will be plenty more not confirmed, local diagnostic health services are poor.

In the UK...
43,000 currently, that is not low.
Hospitals are crammed, ambulance trusts are all at their limit, it is just death rates that are being contained through vaccination.
Three new confirmed variants, one a big jump change.
In my humble opinion, this is as long way from over.

Case numbers are not very low at the moment, confirmed cases are low, there will be plenty more not confirmed, local diagnostic health services are poor.

In the UK...
43,000 currently, that is not low.
Hospitals are crammed, ambulance trusts are all at their limit, it is just death rates that are being contained through vaccination.
Three new confirmed variants, one a big jump change.
In my humble opinion, this is as long way from over.
I was referring to case numbers for the Botswana variant exclusively. I know Britain’s own case numbers are high, but cases of the Botswana variant are low, and thus far it has not made its way too far outside Africa, from what I can tell. Next to Delta or the “child of Delta”, it may well not have the transmission advantage required to beat Delta as the dominant strain.

Sorry if I didn’t make that clear!

Britain has also applied a South Africa travel ban, so that should hopefully stop the variant from gaining a foothold.

My first line was directed at the African variant...much changed, possibly more infectious, probably worse symptoms.
The travel ban will still let in a few more planes until lunchtime, tourism bosses scream overreaction, but, as always, time will tell.