• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Worse than:

Take Back Control
Strong and Stable
Get Brexit Done
Whatever it Takes
Build Back Better

?
Surely the worst one was Stay Alert which I still can't work out what it meant. Hands Face Space was actually a decent one and actually the one they should be adopting now. Stay Alert was such a bad slogan that most places kept the old one or adopted Hands Face Space.

This new variant has been in South Africa a while now and their doctors and officials are saying they haven't seen a huge uplift in hospitalisations. Some have even gone further to add that despite it being more transmissible it appears to be far less potent than they first feared it might be.

So which is it? Are we just urging on the side of caution?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this one classic way that a pandemic peters out of existence - by becoming gradually more transmissible, but less severe in the health problems it causes?

Erring, but yes. Quite rightly roo. Early indications are it's less fatal but in the longer term.this cannotbe known, how many lives are should you be happy to gamble on that turning out to be the case?

Erring, but yes. Quite rightly roo. Early indications are it's less fatal but in the longer term.this cannotbe known, how many lives are should you be happy to gamble on that turning out to be the case?

Correct my grammar and then make two mistakes himself. Oh the joys.

I only asked the question.

Correct my grammar and then make two mistakes himself. Oh the joys.

I only asked the question.

Wasn't meant as a dig, it's just a different word with a bit of a different meaning so worth note in response.

I only answered the question, all be it with fat thumbs (on a mobile on a site that plays absolute havoc with my predictive text in ways that no other site or application does as as I've raised previously on the forums), I'm not sure that's the important point of the post though.

Hospitalisations in SA didn’t rapidly increase due to Omicron but due to them doing routine testing of everyone going in to the hospital for other things, and then finding they had the new variant. It’s symptoms were so mild or non existent most people who went in to hospital were going in for something else and then found out they had covid.

Surely the worst one was Stay Alert which I still can't work out what it meant. Hands Face Space was actually a decent one and actually the one they should be adopting now. Stay Alert was such a bad slogan that most places kept the old one or adopted Hands Face Space.
Hands face space was pretty rubbish really as clean hands make little difference.
Ventilate, face mask, distance would have been more useful

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this one classic way that a pandemic peters out of existence - by becoming gradually more transmissible, but less severe in the health problems it causes?

Potentially/likely going to be the case, but there's an interim period where the NHS will not have sufficient capacity to cope with free-for-all infections. You could argue it doesn't have sufficient capacity now given the huge backlog of waiting lists etc.

@Tom You could argue it did not have sufficient capacity before covid19. Due the huge waiting lists.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom
This new variant has been in South Africa a while now and their doctors and officials are saying they haven't seen a huge uplift in hospitalisations. Some have even gone further to add that despite it being more transmissible it appears to be far less potent than they first feared it might be.

South Africa has a very young population profile, we don't.
It also has poor communication systems generally, there may be many unrecorded, unreported cases that are severe, but treated at home, without reporting, because of the taboo of the disease.
We still do not have a clear view of this variant, caution is reasonable until we get the full picture, surely?

I've said this before but I think it's an important point people have missed. Even if it generally causes less severe disease, if it's several times more transmissible than Delta then it can still overrun hospitals.

Hospitalisations in SA didn’t rapidly increase due to Omicron but due to them doing routine testing of everyone going in to the hospital for other things, and then finding they had the new variant. It’s symptoms were so mild or non existent most people who went in to hospital were going in for something else and then found out they had covid.

This is a good and important point. Say you had an accident that required hospital treatment, and then whilst in hospital you test positive for Covid. You are then classed as a Covid hospital admission, even if you need no treatment at all for Covid. Of course, you would still need isolation from non-Covid patients, so it does have an impact. But it would be interesting to be able to see data relating to direct and indirect Covid hospital admissions.

I've said this before but I think it's an important point people have missed. Even if it generally causes less severe disease, if it's several times more transmissible than Delta then it can still overrun hospitals.

Not just hospitals but care homes, hospices and generally immuno,-compromised households. Sadly we've most fallen back into the "I'm alright Jack" mentality for lots society and we all know the elephant in the country.

I've seen very little of masks in the last week and even got called a sheep and sheeple. In a zoo of all places yesterday, when pointing to the sign that masks must be worn for the safety of the animals and for ponting out the guy jumped over a disfentent mat to help stave of Avian influenza to the penguins. Found it hilarious when the guy was forced to wear in mask to retrieve his kids from the gift shop :D

It definitely could do. We can't be 100% sure on anything yet I suppose.

However with the vast majority of people who are in the most vulnerable category having had boosters now or at least been offered one, If this booster doesn't keep the death toll down significantly this winter then the vaccine programme has ultimately failed hasn't it?

If the worst hit category aren't safe with three doses then confidence in the vaccine programme will hit an all time low and will totally erode away.