• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Turns out coughing a little in the shop is a great way to enforce social distancing, especially for those us that don't like confrontation
Its also a good way to get thrown out of your local Sainsbury's, as i found out the other day

If everyone could stop sharing pictures of old people in front of empty shops now that would be great. We get it. It's not me buying all the food.

I'm now out of a job as my work is prioritising the older ones who have rent and bills. Went in for a coffee and they were already closing 45 minutes early as hardly any customers. I really feel for them when the government is telling the public to stay away, my colleagues will struggle with no wages. Sad times.

Tesco are opening exclusively for NHS staff and Tesco staff between 9-10 a.m. on Sunday. Store doesn't open until 9 on Sunday's so they will get first dibs. Any eligible staff just need to take some form of work/NHS I.D. along. Hope this helps someone or their family members if they are struggling to get supplies :)

12 weeks ....... No way will this be over in 12 weeks. The NHS is preparing for 6 to 9 months. Forget about the year 2020.

I don't believe that's what they said though Gary aka the mood killer.

I don't like Boris and I'm definitely no Tory but I'm sure he was referring to the peak being over in roughly 12 weeks. There will obviously still be lingering cases going on. It's inevitable.

China have reported a second successive day with no new deaths. Less than 4000 deaths for ground zero isn't even that bad all things weighed up. We'll lose more than that to Drink alone this year if we get anywhere near that figure which I don't think we will.

2 weeks ago Gary and others were saying we'd catch up Italy as we were a week or so behind. Easily two weeks has passed now and even though we've had an increase in cases and lives lost we're not even remotely as bad as Italy and we've done basically nothing special to stop the spread of it.

we've lost 150ish people in nearly 2 months which is actually nothing out of the ordinary when you compare it to other issues we face daily. The virus is a serious issue and vulnerable people need to take special precautions but the rest of us need to crack on soon. We will be fine. All this end of the world panic stuff is just utter lunacy.

I get what our gubbermunt is doing: they are trying to bring things in gradually so as not to panic us. Like the old "put your lobster in a pan of COLD water and gently turn the heat up". And interesting tactic.

It seems to be working, but they should have started this two weeks ago if they are going to play things this slowly!

Turns out coughing a little in the shop is a great way to enforce social distancing, especially for those us that don't like confrontation

You're only just discovering this? I've been doing it since 2012 :p

I posted about somebody doing that in Pet Hates. It's not really that funny or clever.

and some of us might not be able to help it, I used to smoke 40 a day, I cough just getting up from the sofa.

The Dutch have apparently been following a very similar path to us with tackling this virus. As a labour-ite I could use this epidemic to attack Boris so easily but tbf nobody knows what the right path is right now. If we went into Lockdown for 4 months then we'd have far bigger issues to worry about than a virus. Very difficult job to know what exactly is the best way to tackle it.

I think the biggest failure so far has been the way they've allowed people to mass panic and stockpile. Measures should have been brought in a lot sooner than they have to avoid this happening. That's been the biggest failure for me so far.

All the kids off school.
Looked at the list of people who’s essential to running the country and kids have to go school

Seams a very long list. Must be 90% of the population.

Who’d a thought 90% of the people in the UK would be needed to make sure the country doesn’t go tits up :rolleyes:

The Dutch have apparently been following a very similar path to us with tackling this virus. As a labour-ite I could use this epidemic to attack Boris so easily but tbf nobody knows what the right path is right now. If we went into Lockdown for 4 months then we'd have far bigger issues to worry about than a virus. Very difficult job to know what exactly is the best way to tackle it.

I think the biggest failure so far has been the way they've allowed people to mass panic and stockpile. Measures should have been brought in a lot sooner than they have to avoid this happening. That's been the biggest failure for me so far.

No the Dutch followed the Irish route, schools were closed immediately and they've locked down everything and you need a legitimate reason or be travelling to/from work, for being outside, the only panic buying that went on thought was for weed, nobody cared about toilet rolls lol, my friend who works for the equivalent of our civil service there, say they had their hours cut 50% and we're all put on rotation so that only half the workforce were on site at any one time at around the same time Italy went on lockdown.

I would love to know who or what changed Boris's mind, he seemed to flip for no reason at all and suddenly adopt the lockdown strategy, when the more this goes on, the more it's looking likely that locking people in their houses was the wrong thing to do.

If you bring this up in conversation, everybody points to China as the shining example of how well quarantine works, like China's word on anything is worth a dam at the moment, aforementioned tower blocks bring welded up being a prime example.

Our holiday was calcelled yesterday too, only thing that is potentially annoying me is the Indy 500 being cancelled.

Last edited: