• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Well, that's our country in debt for the next zillion years. Fair play to the government though, they're actually stumping up money for people who need it.

debt debt debt and no business left to bring any income in to pay it off

Italy are struggling to contain the virus even with all their measures of isolation, so what makes what we are doing work any different

As well as loans the government are also offering grants and basically paying 80% of peoples wages for the next several months for businesses who can't stay open instead of sacking their staff. So basically those people will still have a job at the end of all this and actually still get paid most of their wage for sitting at home. Very generous if you ask me. Unless I've misunderstood. Could have just stuck their fingers up and told everyone bad luck instead in all fairness.

To be fair if I worked in a regular job I'd happily take a 20% wage cut to keep my job (since the Government will pay the other 80%) but I do wonder how many employers will say they've kept staff on when they haven't or mysteries increased their workforce by 20%.

Still a little frustrating to see virtually no help for the self-employed again, I.e. Those people who are one man and a van setups that keep the economy going, yes we get tax credits and these have been increased by a grand but that is only £20 a week, because a lot of people have commitments (vehicle/equipment leasing etc.) that are far higher than what working tax credit covers.

As well as loans the government are also offering grants and basically paying 80% of peoples wages for the next several months for businesses who can't stay open instead of sacking their staff. So basically those people will still have a job at the end of all this and actually still get paid most of their wage for sitting at home. Very generous if you ask me. Unless I've misunderstood. Could have just stuck their fingers up and told everyone bad luck instead in all fairness.

No you understood correctly, unfortunately this doesn't help people who have already lost their jobs.

I also see they haven't announced anything in relation to anybody presently undergoing benefit migration (forced relocation onto universal credit or ESA), and the idiots running around in the background of the reporter on the BBC should be ashamed, it's these fuckwits that will be the reason we're under Martial Law in April.

To be fair if I worked in a regular job I'd happily take a 20% wage cut to keep my job (since the Government will pay the other 80%) but I do wonder how many employers will say they've kept staff on when they haven't or mysteries increased their workforce by 20%.

Still a little frustrating to see virtually no help for the self-employed again, I.e. Those people who are one man and a van setups that keep the economy going, yes we get tax credits and these have been increased by a grand but that is only £20 a week, because a lot of people have commitments (vehicle/equipment leasing etc.) that are far higher than what working tax credit covers.
yep a big screw you to the self employed ... we can survive on £97 a week :rolleyes:

debt debt debt and no business left to bring any income in to pay it off

Italy are struggling to contain the virus even with all their measures of isolation, so what makes what we are doing work any different
Italy also has the second oldest population in the world, which might be why they are seemingly suffering so badly. 23% of the population is over 70, so I'd imagine that a far higher percentage of cases showed severe symptoms (this might also explain Italy's suspiciously high death rate). Add to that that we are reportedly a few weeks behind Italy in terms of where our outbreak is, and I'd say that we definitely seem to be bringing in lockdown measures more quickly than Italy did. Admittedly, we did take a slightly less cautious approach first, but the government does seem to be proactive in changing this very quickly.

As for the businesses, they will ride out the storm. Once all this is over, people will probably want to go to these places to blow off some steam, so they might do very well once social distancing measures are relaxed to partially offset the damage caused during lockdown.

but its ok you dont have to pay your vat bill next quarter.. we will defer it, then you pay it then... thats if you have the money by then..
what ? no money to pay?
then the vat man comes and takes everything you have left
oh you dont have anything?
then its prison for you

As for the businesses, they will ride out the storm. Once all this is over, people will probably want to go to these places to blow off some steam, so they might do very well once social distancing measures are relaxed to partially offset the damage caused during lockdown
o_O
I really wish I had your optimism , but there will be nothing left to go back to by the time this is all over IMO:(

Been announced on our local news that all venues like pubs, clubs, gyms, leisure centres, restaurants (except fast food outlets) are to be force to closed as from tonight.

Social distancing, self isolating, school closures may have to continue for up to a year

North park hospital in London now have no more space to treat covid patients...

but its only a mild illness they keep saying

oh they now have space again :rolleyes: stupid BBC news... why do I listen to them

:(

to be reviewed every month.

totally screwed :(

so because people are idiots and dint listen to the advise we are now like this :(

They did fill up. They then reopened. So no rolleyes at the reporting necessary.
If you took notice of instead of deriding the most reliable news source we have in this country, and took less notice of made up crap on Facebook or wherever is feeding your neurosis, you'd probably have a more level headed view of things.

Mate, this thread is clearly not good for your well-being. Remove yourself from it and do something else thing your day, would you?

They did fill up. They then reopened. So no rolleyes at the reporting necessary.
If you took notice of instead of deriding the most reliable news source we have in this country, and took less notice of made up crap on Facebook or wherever is feeding your neurosis, you'd probably have a more level headed view of things.

Mate, this thread is clearly not good for your well-being. Remove yourself from it and do something else thing your day, would you?

It was reported as urgent breaking news as "major incident declared now" on the BBC at 4.30 this afternoon.
Turns out the hospital in question declared the emergency last night and rescinded it again this morning, the BBC was almost 24 hours late with their "breaking news".

Can we please stop holding up the BBC as the greatest for new reporting and deriding people who call it out for its sometimes dreadful standards it has? I think being almost 24 hours late on reporting a story should concern even the most ardent BBC supporter, especially since it was common knowledge on social media as early as this morning what was going on.

yep a big screw you to the self employed ... we can survive on £97 a week :rolleyes:

Some can, I can, but that's because I have a business that doesn't have huge overheads and as a family, we live within our means but if I was still renting the office and leasing the fleet of vans I once did, I'd be fubar (because some businesses who rent their accommodation don't pay business rates if the business you rent from is a business itself - they pay it - we used to rent our offices from a holiday company who paid the business rates on the building, I only paid them rent and to access a lot of the bailout money, you have to pay small business rates).

It would have been nice if he had listened to the economic advisors who told them to let the businesses go bust and pay the money directly to Joe public, they advised giving every man woman and child in the country £6k.

Can we please stop holding up the BBC as the greatest for new reporting and deriding people who call it out for its sometimes dreadful standards it has? I think being almost 24 hours late on reporting a story should concern even the most ardent BBC supporter, especially since it was common knowledge on social media as early as this morning what was going on.

The BBC are absolutely the most reliable news source we have. They're not perfect, no person or organisation is, but nothing else we have comes close. I didn't see that report, but rumour on social media is not news until it's verified. Sounds like a hospital filling up, even if it had since reopened, us a significant event and shows how close to capacity that area has become.

Reactions: Tom
Its difficult to say for sure because of the lack of testing. Our hospital has run out of tests ! Honestly, what has the world been doing for the past 2 months while China has been battling this. WE should have been ready and prepared, not sitting on our backsides scratching our heads.

Its difficult to say for sure because of the lack of testing. Our hospital has run out of tests ! Honestly, what has the world been doing for the past 2 months while China has been battling this. WE should have been ready and prepared, not sitting on our backsides scratching our heads.

We've been proclaimng "Only the flu.."