• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
We need to start taking action to prevent this spread. Don't go travelling this weekend, stay at home and get those odd jobs done, and avoid social gatherings.

We need to start taking action to prevent this spread. Don't go travelling this weekend, stay at home and get those odd jobs done, and avoid social gatherings.
Strangely enough last leg said that earlier

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I'm getting ready for work just now (in a restaurant). Wondering if and when it does come to Aberdeen and shire and if we'd be allowed to close

With an incubation period believed to be over 2 weeks I imagine that ship has well and truly sailed.

As I said on this thread at the start, if they're only testing flu suffering people with a known link to an outbreak area they're going to have missed the opportunity to contain it. An averagely active person comes into contact with so many people in a daily basis you have no idea if you've just been in a confined space with someone at high risk of carrying the virus.

While everyone's comparing Coronavirus to Spanish flu, two things are worth noting that are different now compared to 1918:
  • New ways to combat disease have been invented since 1918, and people are generally far more aware of how to protect themselves nowadays.
  • It might also be worth noting that Spanish flu broke out during WW1, when the government was more interested in defeating Germany than quarantining citizens to prevent the spread of flu. Places like battlefields and factories making weapons would have been an absolute breeding ground for bacteria. Currently, there are no major wars going on, so the government is being more proactive in advising people on how to protect themselves.

While everyone's comparing Coronavirus to Spanish flu, two things are worth noting that are different now compared to 1918:
  • New ways to combat disease have been invented since 1918, and people are generally far more aware of how to protect themselves nowadays.

There is no vaccine or treatment for this as of yet

There is no vaccine or treatment for this as of yet
This is very true, however many labs are reportedly in a race to develop a vaccine for COVID-19. I also think that it is easier to inform the public now than it was in 1918, so public health campaigns will be easier to run, and they should spread the information around the population more easily.

I think the only thing we as citizens can really do is follow the public health advice (the current advice is to wash hands thoroughly and don't get too close to anyone who's ill) and just wait and see what happens. While I am very worried about the impact that the virus could have on society, and I know that we need to plan for the worst case scenario in case it happens, I also think that it's important not to be too worried; the WHO themselves even said that "one of the biggest fights of all will be against fear and misinformation".

3 more cases in England just announced . Why are we not screening people coming in to the airport's, sorely we can put in heat cameras like other countries have done

Just because someone is a bit warm does not mean they are ill, though! People like myself have un-naturally high body temperatures 24/7.

3 more cases in England just announced . Why are we not screening people coming in to the airport's, sorely we can put in heat cameras like other countries have done
Because people can have the virus, and be contagious while showing no signs, for two weeks.
They would pass your temperature checks, but still be putting others at risk.

The only real solution would be to screen everyone coming in to see whether they test positive for COVID-19, but that might potentially be very time-consuming and could cause problems.

Out of interest, has the number of cases in Britain increased from the 23 it was on earlier?
EDIT: Cases don't seem to have increased, and I found this update on stats from the Department of Health and Social Care:

I must admit, it does reassure me a little seeing that we're testing so many people and seeing so few tests come out positive; to me, it shows that we're getting on top of containing coronavirus pretty well. I know that we're seeing new cases confirmed quite frequently, but 23 positive tests compared with 10,460 negative ones is ultimately a tiny percentage.

Last edited:
Love how the a police dept in the usa is using this pandemic
2e539c82ac494794886a46294b6e21a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk