• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
It absolutely isn't. Noone says that the virus cannot be transmitted by keeping that distance, but it certainly does reduce the likelihood. They've worked out that's the distance of optimum inconvenience Vs reward based on expertise and evidence that you do not have, they haven't just pulled a number out of their arses. It also creates a just out of arms length buffer against physical contact, which where the huge risk lies.

A few people thinking they know better will be the downfall of us all...

A few people as in scientists you mean who have studied how far the virus particles travel and shown it to be 6m? Righto. Sounds like your the one who seems to know better. But your in the police, oh course I should have known that.

The WHO is currently looking at revising it's distancing rules given this new evidence.

As for masks, yup there are not enough to go around, but if there were and we could all wear them when it then it would significantly lower transmission.

Who knows when this is over we may have up wear masks for a while when out in public places.

Last edited:
A few people as in scientists you mean who have studied how far the virus particles travel and shown it to be 6m? Righto. Sounds like your the one who seems to know better. But your in the police, oh course I should have known that.

That's a pathetically simplistic view and you know it. People literally spend while careers studying and understanding viruses and disease transference, but you suddenly know more than them do you? The advice we are given is based on huge amounts of data analysed by experts with an overall plan as to what extent the virus can be controlled to map the best possible outcome in terms of saving lives and managing NHS demand. That plan will change as the situation and available data develops, as will the advice and instruction.

You cannot in ant way compete with that. Your opinion to the contrary to the advice is irrelevant.

Me being in the police has nothing to do with anything here so do you want to leave that out unless it is in any way relevant?

Last edited:
Has it not been known for a long time that particles from a sneeze can travel up to 6m? That's nothing new, sneezes are rather forceful.

It is all about reducing, not preventing, spread and the 2m rule helps prevent close contact.

And can we please keep discussion sensible and not bring people's jobs in to it. Thanks.

It is all about reducing, not preventing, spread and the 2m rule helps prevent close contact.

yep, and the best way to reduce it is to stay at home. The distancing is only relevant if you absolutely need to go out and then keep as far away as possible, but when not possible a minimum of 2m.

I don't think Gary will be happy until everybody's dead (Dave) and he can stand on the ashes of civilisation, just to say "I told you so"

We live in a fairly rural area, not totally disconnected but far enough away from a city to be pleasant, and our village is really getting on board with doing everything they can to help. One local even whipped up some DIY hand sanitiser for people that can't get hold of any. (Yes Gary, I know it doesn't work and we're all going to die, but it's better than nothing) We've got a few walking roads out into the country, and everybody is swarming them for their exercise, but maintaining a good distance while doing so.

I'm sure that most people when sneeze or cough, will sneeze or cough into their hand or downwards to wards the floor. So in which case a 2 meter rule would help keep you safe from any virus particles going a stray upon someone sneezing coughing into their hand.

Also the 2 meter rule will stop you from directly touching someone else. One of the reasons why we have an arm length rule around Jess for many years, this is not to stop her from catching anything, just because people can be so unpredictable, clumsy and touchy feel'y.

Well we are constantly told we are 2 weeks behind Italy and it seems like the curve is finally flattening on new cases in Italy.

Of course deaths will still be high for the coming days but with fewer cases in the emergency departments, hopefully they can concentrate on giving those in need better care and that number will soon soften.

That's a pathetically simplistic view and you know it. People literally spend while careers studying and understanding viruses and disease transference, but you suddenly know more than them do you? The advice we are given is based on huge amounts of data analysed by experts with an overall plan as to what extent the virus can be controlled to map the best possible outcome in terms of saving lives and managing NHS demand. That plan will change as the situation and available data develops, as will the advice and instruction.

You cannot in ant way compete with that. Your opinion to the contrary to the advice is irrelevant.

Me being in the police has nothing to do with anything here so do you want to leave that out unless it is in any way relevant?

Its the way you speak down to people. Must be a hazard of the job I guess. And I didnt say I know more than any expert or scientist. When did I say that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Gary will be happy until everybody's dead (Dave) and he can stand on the ashes of civilisation, just to say "I told you so"

We live in a fairly rural area, not totally disconnected but far enough away from a city to be pleasant, and our village is really getting on board with doing everything they can to help. One local even whipped up some DIY hand sanitiser for people that can't get hold of any. (Yes Gary, I know it doesn't work and we're all going to die, but it's better than nothing) We've got a few walking roads out into the country, and everybody is swarming them for their exercise, but maintaining a good distance while doing so.

No, not everyone, only a few patronising folks on here thats all. And as its always been said, santizer works as long as its over 62% alcohol.

Its the way you speak down to people. Must be a hazard of the job I guess. And I didnt say I know more than any expert or scientist. When did I say that? Talk about total over reaction. You on your period or something??

Experts and scientists - keep this distance.

Buffoon on internet - keeping that distance is a waste of time.

That's you that is, saying you know better than the experts. Right there.

It's hard not to speak down to someone who is displaying such limited intelligence and capacity to understand basic concepts. Oops, there I go again, must be the job I suppose.

I mean, if you'd like to present some sort of evidence that social distancing as advised is not beneficial rather than you just declaring it then maybe there'd be something to talk about, but as it is what else is there to say other than you are wrong because you are disagreeing with the weight of expertise and data held be the government and WHO with nothing to support your declaration.

Reactions: Dar
In other news, China is now going to start counting asymptomatic cases in their case count, so if we see a sharp increase in coronavirus cases in China within the coming days, I don't think it's down to a second wave. It's probably down to the fact that China has changed the way that it reports cases.

Well we are constantly told we are 2 weeks behind Italy

But are we?

This country has not done much testing, only those suspecting to have the virus that are ill in hospital,

This county death count only take in consideration those that have died in hospital from covid-19 and don't take into account those that have died from it out of hospital.

I still don't trust this government, they like to be economical with the truth

Who knows, but @RoyJess that's the rhetoric. We are 2 weeks behind in terms of being in a lockdown, so lets batten down the hatches and keep our fingers crossed that by mid April we are on the right side of the curve.

Jess and I been isolating for 14 days (2 weeks) now and neither of us are showing signs of any symptoms, so unless this virus is airborne or we come out from isolation before this has truly blown over, I can say that we are both well and safe for the foreseeable future :)

Jess and I been isolating for 14 days (2 weeks) now and neither of us are showing signs of any symptoms, so unless this virus is airborne or we come out from isolation before this has truly blown over, I can say that we are both well and safe for the foreseeable future :)

Fantastic, stay safe :)

I have amended a few posts here and closed a few reports raised on a post. I came close to wholesale deleting more than the small number of posts and/or lines that I did. Mainly as it's possible to appreciate how sensitive and anxious people are at this time.

However.

Please stay kind people.

Please keep all posts contributing healthily to the topic.

Thanks.

@pluk see what I mean with the way you speak to people. Well demonstrated right there. Like you said, hazard of the job no doubt.
Just parodying myself to fit your expectation I'm afraid. I managed 29 years being just as obnoxious prior to my current job.

I won't be paying for the Torygraph, other than that, yep, nothing I haven't seen before in some form.

If you've actually read them and the conclusion you reached was keeping the distance we have been advised to is a waste of time then I'd love to see your working out.

Yes, some of the virus can extend beyond that distance, but the vast majority does not. The advice is not designed to or expected to reduce transmission to zero. A 16ft distance wouldn't either, no workable distance would, but you will see a significant drop off in transmission. As has already been said it also prevents in person contact being possible.
Quite clearly then, it's 'not a waste of time'.

You also haven't considered what is actually trying to be achieved? I'm pretty sure they don't want a zero infection rate as that would leave us vulnerable to further outbreaks of a similar scale in the future, the measures appear to be designed to slow the rate of infection so the health services doesn't get overwhelmed by everyone having it at once.
Quite probably then, even less of a waste of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the curiosities I noticed in the regulations between England and Wales is that in Wales you cannot go out for exercise more than once per day:
to take exercise, no more than once a day, either alone or with other members of the household

There is no such restriction in England:
to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household

Although it would be questionable if it was necessary to do it more than once per day (one for the courts). Also nothing in there about the type of exercise so kicking a football around with your housemates would be allowed, which is wider than Boris said on TV ("walk, run or cycle" I think he said).