• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
One of the curiosities I noticed in the regulations between England and Wales is that in Wales you cannot go out for exercise more than once per day:

There is no such restriction in England:

Although it would be questionable if it was necessary to do it more than once per day (one for the courts). Also nothing in there about the type of exercise so kicking a football around with your housemates would be allowed, which is wider than Boris said on TV ("walk, run or cycle" I think he said).
So if the Welsh want to exercise twice a day, can they cross the border and exercise in England?

The police are being pretty vigilant in my area so we probably couldn't cross the border even if we tried!

The police are being pretty vigilant in my area so we probably couldn't cross the border even if we tried!
There is a pub a couple of miles from me with 2 main doors. One in wales and one in England. And a line on the floor, you could tell what time it was by which side of the line people were.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I stumbled upon a great website on Facebook this weekend and I've been using it to follow what companies have put people before profits. Certainly some of the companies in this list will not being seeing a penny out my pocket in the longer term.

It's constantly being updated and Merlin is the latest company to have been added. They currently have a low score (granted it's based on a single negative story)

However if we share this enough maybe Merlin (and others) will start to take notice and produce some positive spin on what they have doing to during the coronavirus.

https://www.lewiscotter.com/brands

Police state. Power hungry coppers running the streets
:(

Hahahaha.

Yes, the police want to have to waste their time having to tell people who think they know better and know exactly what the law is to stop doing stupid things that will get people killed.
They wouldn't rather be helping decent people at all.

Hahahaha.

Yes, the police want to have to waste their time having to tell people who think they know better and know exactly what the law is to stop doing stupid things that will get people killed.
They wouldn't rather be helping decent people at all.

No mr police, the gov has not said its inappropriate to use your motor vehicle !

no such law in place

O75nWFV.jpg

No mr police, the gov has not said its inappropriate to use your motor vehicle !

no such law in place

O75nWFV.jpg

You are still wrong, no matter how many times you post it.

I've posted the legislation before, if you can't be bothered to read and understand it then it's probably best not to have strong opinions on it.

Blaming 'the police' for the law makes about as much sense as blaming 'the nurses' for the virus. We didn't ask for it, we don't want it, but it's here so we are dealing with it.

You are still wrong, no matter how many times you post it.

I've posted the legislation before, if you can't be bothered to read and understand it then it's probably best not to have strong opinions on it.

Blaming 'the police' for the law makes about as much sense as blaming 'the nurses' for the virus. We didn't ask for it, we don't want it, but it's here so we are dealing with it.

I have read it many many times and have asked you to quote the paragraph stating the law that you can NOT use your car to travel to a place to get exercise, because I cant find it

no such law in place

O75nWFV.jpg

That letter is a reasonably polite reminder of the rules and that if you continue to drive to the location you may be fined. There has been a lot of discussion on TV news about driving to beauty spots after the first weekend when Snowdonia had their busiest weekend ever.
If you need to walk the dog, go outside your front door and walk. The only places you should be driving to are work (if you cannot work from home), the supermarket (or DIY store or car repair garage) or hospital.
Don't see anything wrong with the police reminding people not to travel.

And there is guidance on the government FAQ asking people not to drive to get exercise.

14. Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?
We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.

You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only by yourself or within your household, not in groups.

We ask you to keep 2 metres apart from others outside your household at all times when outdoors.

from https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-a-national-park-or-other-green-space-to-walk

and the following question 15 sets out that you can be fined if you break the rules.

I have read it many many times and have asked you to quote the paragraph stating the law that you can NOT use your car to travel to a place to get exercise, because I cant find it
As someone who, before the lockdown, was extremely vocal that a lockdown should be enforced, I really, really don't get why you're now looking for loopholes and gaps in the advice at every opportunity.

What exactly has caused you to make such a u-turn in your stance?

I am unsure if it is written in to law or not, but it is quite clear from the Government guidance that you should not be driving anywhere to go for exercise. That is not essential travel. Yes it might be quieter in some of these places but if everyone thought the same and ignored the advice, it would not be.

Looking at the legislation I don't see why driving wouldn't be allowed as long as it was for the purpose of one of the 'reasonable excuses', but I agree with the principle of everyone staying home and avoiding unnecessary travel. The law is fairly poorly drafted in my opinion but such is the nature of emergency laws.

From a few days ago...

You are looking at it backwards. It doesn't say what you are not allowed to do, it says you are only allowed to leave your house to do the things permitted. There's a section that says 'travel', what you are describing is not one of those things.

It is stupidity and bloody mindedness on this level which will eventually result in much more stringent restrictions as has been seen elsewhere....

You leave the house, you start walking, jogging, cycling... you are exercising.
You leave the house, you get in your car and start driving... you are not exercising, you are also not travelling for any of the permitted reason.

As someone who, before the lockdown, was extremely vocal that a lockdown should be enforced, I really, really don't get why you're now looking for loopholes and gaps in the advice at every opportunity.

What exactly has caused you to make such a u-turn in your stance?

A thousand times, this.