• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
What do people think about Premier League clubs furloughing office staff while continuing to pay their players £100,000s per week? :confused:

I think it's disgraceful and the sooner the obscene amounts of money are removed from football the better.

Talking of money, all those nurses and care staff putting their lives at risk tonight, tomorrow and ever day to save others should be paid what footballers are paid. Their bravery and dedication walking in to what is basically a battlefield, some with limited PPE is just incredible. Anyone who had any doubts whatsoever about the strength of feeling towards the NHS in this country is clearly seeing now how much love there is out there for these people.

And where are the public every year when NHS staff need a payrise? Not outside clapping and banging pots and pans then are they? The cynic in me feels that this is just a fad for some as they're bored and can then congratulate themselves on Facebook about how good their street was at making noise. Rotters.

People bemoan the NHS needing more budget/money yet as a country we've put the Tories in charge.

Given how the NHS is funded you'll never get them being laid £300k a week. It's not a private business supported by an obscene amount of bidders for rights and oil states.

A few club players abroad have taken decisions to ensure non-playing staff will get fully paid (and some clubs have also taken steps to ensure it). But it's not the players who can make that choice unfortunately. But it's sickening to see a £4billion worth chairman and a CEO give himself a £3million bonus for a delayed stadium ignore such problems atm.

It also doesn't help that the PFA will get involved in anything like that and go straight onto the player's side. Player power always wins out.

Must be said that a lot of players will likely already give some wages to various charities and good causes.

A footballer on £350k a week pays almost half of that to the exchequer in tax with no way of dodging it. Tell me again who the bad guys are.

As for the argument that nurses (and all the other populist positions like soldiers etc) should be paid the same as footballers, that has always been a ridiculous view unless you're an advocate of communism.

A footballer on £350k a week pays almost half of that to the exchequer in tax with no way of dodging it. Tell me again who the bad guys are.

As for the argument that nurses (and all the other populist positions like soldiers etc) should be paid the same as footballers, that has always been a ridiculous view unless you're an advocate of communism.

Course they shouldn't, and personally I don't think someone should be paid £350k a week for kicking a ball about but that's my own personal view and I appreciate others feel the money is warranted.

But I do think medics should get paid a wage reflective of the stress, personal and mental trauma and the decisions they have to make day to day. A paramedic for example can earn a maximum of £37,890 at the very top of their band. Is that reflective of the work they do? I don't think so....

Just seems like "if we're all in this together" those footballers could take a pay cut while this is going on (not like they're actually playing football) and the money saved pays those office staff.

I think this could apply to any business tbh, those top 10% earners could temporarily cut their salary to subsidise their staff who can't work. The government can step in to help but businesses with high earners should do their bit too.

Anyway, I'll keep dreaming. Lockdown hallucinations might mean we see those flying pigs soon!

Course they shouldn't, and personally I don't think someone should be paid £350k a week for kicking a ball about but that's my own personal view and I appreciate others feel the money is warranted.
I don't think it's warranted, I don't support it, but realise that without fundamental worldwide reform to the game, it's not going away, so I don't worry about it.

I do think health workers should get paid more and would stress the two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Just seems like "if we're all in this together" those footballers could take a pay cut while this is going on (not like they're actually playing football) and the money saved pays those office staff.

I think this could apply to any business tbh, those top 10% earners could temporarily cut their salary to subsidise their staff who can't work. The government can step in to help but businesses with high earners should do their bit too.

Anyway, I'll keep dreaming. Lockdown hallucinations might mean we see those flying pigs soon!

Bob Iger has indeed given up the entirely of his salary this year to help get the company through this, and all high level Disney executives have taken huge cuts too.

I await news of Varney and the boards similar gesture...

Interestingly, Sweden is apparently taking the herd immunity approach, like the UK formerly was. We'll have to see how that turns out for them; it's a vastly different approach to anywhere else in the world, but if it works well, then I applaud them!

I do personally think that the tighter measures are the way forward if you want to prevent huge strain on health services and many deaths, however.

Well, we're currently having 'double pain' here. The death toll is growing rapidly but we're also completely screwing up our economy which will do untold damage for many years going forward. I do think that there's a chance that we could have beefed up the NHS provision and also told the old/vulnerable to isolate as much as possible whilst also letting the majority carry on with normal life but accepting that more people could get ill to some degree but speeding up our immunity.

Reactions: Tim

But I do think medics should get paid a wage reflective of the stress, personal and mental trauma and the decisions they have to make day to day. A paramedic for example can earn a maximum of £37,890 at the very top of their band. Is that reflective of the work they do? I don't think so....
Collectively society for the most part have not wanted health workers to be paid more money. People might think they do, but until a government is elected on a platform of increasing their wages through the required tax increases, it isn’t what most people want - despite what they say.

Well, we're currently having 'double pain' here. The death toll is growing rapidly but we're also completely screwing up our economy which will do untold damage for many years going forward. I do think that there's a chance that we could have beefed up the NHS provision and also told the old/vulnerable to isolate as much as possible whilst also letting the majority carry on with normal life but accepting that more people could get ill to some degree but speeding up our immunity.

But this virus is affecting everyone not just the old. As hospitals and the WHO said tonight, most hospital ICU units are full of healthy young people under 50. So we couldn't just hide the elderly, because hundreds of thousands of young people would also die.

Basically, China lied about the deaths in younger people. Countries thought it only affected the elderly but are now finding out otherwise.

As for the immunity no one knows yet how long this immunity may last and if it protects against other covid strains.

As hospitals and the WHO said tonight, most hospital ICU units are full of healthy young people under 50.

I'd genuinely be interested to see a reliable source to give substance to this statement. Sounds very doubtful to me. There is obviously an argument somewhere as to whether a few more lives lost (in relative terms) in order to avoid completely wrecking our economy for countless years, decades or generations would be worth it for the greater good. Virtue signallers will obviously come out and say that even one more life saved is worth putting us in hundreds of billions of pounds worth more of debt, but quite frankly, that's absolute rubbish.

Anyhow, we've chosen the road that we're going down now and the economy is screwed so we may as well just keep splashing the cash as the numbers on the balance sheet are getting so outrageous that they hardly make a difference any more. It would be interesting to find out what kind of difference it would have made to total death figures in the end if we hadn't bothered with lock-down or anything but we'll never have a chance to know that for sure. All we can do for now is respect and adhere to the guidelines given down to us by the government etc. Off to bed shortly. Good night.

Yes, and it's not a simple one is it?

How many hundreds of thousands of people are going to lose their jobs, income etc due to the economy coming to a standstill, especially if it goes on and on? There was already a bit of a mental health crisis brewing. Let's take all of the cars off the roads due to people dying from the pollution they cause and crashes etc. Lives are more important than cars. Where does the final goal of saving every life at any cost to all survivors leave us? I can understand why politicians have gone down this road because they'd have Laura Kuenssberg hammering the above overly simplistic question down their throats every day and would be being described as heartless.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to find out what kind of difference it would have made to total death figures in the end if we hadn't bothered with lock-down or anything but we'll never have a chance to know that for sure.
No we won’t, but we can probably look towards Sweden for a rough guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk