• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
I don't know how true this is, so take it with a gritter full of salt...

Yesterday someone showed me a video alledgedly taken inside that new "hospital" the Chinese built in days. It was nothing but huge hanger sized halls, and bare corridoors, pilled floor to ceiling with body bags as far as the camera could see.

True or not, it was a sobering image.
I can’t help but thinking this video is true. We know the Chinese will want to hide this. I would suspect waves of people have died and not been recorded as having the virus - or numbers are just not being reported truthfully.

now it’s here I really do suggest we lock the country down. Shopping centres, stadia, exhibition halls. The lot. We have a really short period of time to contain this

I'm only interested in just the Facts and not scare mongering stories. Again lets put this into perspective.

BbfQuBM.jpg

Yes..... At the moment. What your missing is the potential of this virus. It has even got going fully yet if we don't stop it.

If anyone's wondering, the current number of cases in Britain still sits at 23; no change since yesterday.

In other news, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has suggested we may soon have to take a similar path to China in containing coronavirus (i.e. shutting down entire cities). Well, he said it "wasn't ruled out".

The virus must be taking Sunday off. This can only mean one thing: It is the will of Jeebus.

Yes..... At the moment. What your missing is the potential of this virus. It has even got going fully yet if we don't stop it.

The same could be said for any virus, some viruses mutate all the time. I remember back in the 80's all the hard hitting Armageddon adverts about HIV when it first came to light.

At the moment, with the coronavirus, we been told that 80% of infected people will be fine and won't need hospitalisation. 20% of people infected will need hospitalisation, the problem with this is that the NHS don't have enough beds. On average, seasonal flu strains kill about 0.1 percent of people who become infected. The 1918 flu had an unusually high fatality rate, around 2 percent. Because it was so contagious, that flu killed tens of millions of people. Early estimates of the coronavirus death rate from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak, have been around 2 percent. But a new report on 1,099 cases from many parts of China, published on Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a lower rate: 1.4 percent. The true death rate could turn out to be similar to that of a severe seasonal flu, below 1 percent, according to an editorial published in the journal by Dr. Anthony S. Fauci and Dr. H. Clifford Lane, of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Dr. Robert R. Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Some Information taken from this site https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html

This is how the virus compares to other viruses

VyZ8AJa.png

The concern is that this is a new virus and it can be transmitted between humans and animals, and because it is a new virus, we have all yet to be expose to it, meaning that none of us have any immunity to it.

Is it just me or is it a coincidence that the virus started in Wuhan China and they just also happen to have a bio research facilities there, I'm just saying o_O

It might interest you all to know; according to the government, the risk to the public that coronavirus provides was upgraded to "moderate" from "low" a couple of days ago, but risk to individuals still remains "low".

Currently, I think that the best way Britain can manage coronavirus is to hit a happy medium in terms of levels of preparedness. What I mean by this is; I of course think we should be making considerable efforts to contain the virus, but I don't think we should enter full-on panic mode just yet.

Now, I'm not denying that coronavirus presents a significant threat, because it definitely has the potential to, and like many of you, I'm worried about what it could do. I'm also not saying that we shouldn't make preparations for the worst case scenario, because I think that we absolutely should be preparing for every scenario; whatever preparations we can make, the better the situation we'll find ourselves in will be if the worst case scenario does end up happening. However, I personally think that talk of putting the whole country on lockdown right now is perhaps a touch overzealous and could produce unnecessary levels of fear and hysteria among the public. Currently, we have 23 cases in the UK. All bar one of these have obvious links with the majorly affected areas (e.g. China, Italy, Iran etc.), 8 of these cases have recovered and we've only had 1 fatality, who was on the Japanese cruise ship. So far, the government and the NHS seem to have handled the virus very well and seem to be working very hard in stopping a major outbreak; they have tested over 10,000 people and only 23 have come out positive so far, which to me represents a good prevention strategy from the government, because they are clearly very vigilant in testing those with even the mildest of symptoms or risk factors. So provided that we all follow the current public health advice (wash hands thoroughly, keep away from unwell people and self-isolate for 14 days & call NHS 111 if you have been to an affected area), then I think we should all be OK for the time being.

Of course, if the outbreak does get really, really bad, then I think we should take more major measures. But for the time being, I think the best thing we can all do is continue with our lives and just take minor precautions to prevent the potential spread of the disease.

12 more confirmed cases in the uk today.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

3 related to a known case and 1 has no known link
Ah right; thanks @Dave! I did also see that the other 8 had travelled to affected areas, so only one of the 12 cases (and 2 of the current 35 cases) has no known link. However, 6 of the current 35 cases were caught within the UK.
EDIT: If it reassures anyone, we've also seen over 1,000 further negative tests over the last day. Here's the latest from the Department of Health & Social Care:

This does look like the potential start of a wider outbreak, however. The next week or so could prove interesting...

So now the religious sect are trying to use it to wipe all the sinners from the face of the earth
:rolleyes:
"The leader of a religious sect in South Korea could face a homicide investigation over some of the country's coronavirus deaths."
"Authorities say Shincheonji members infected one another in the southern city of Daegu last month, before fanning out around the country." https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51695649

It's not really and is to be expected. Look how quickly this escalated in Italy. It will get worse before it gets better. The incubation period is the problem.
Interestingly, the virus was first logged in Italy on the same day as it was first logged in the UK (31st January 2020). However, Italy has had 1,128 cases and 29 deaths in comparison to Britain's 35 cases and 1 death, so even if a bigger outbreak does happen in Britain, we haven't hit anywhere near the spread level that Italy has.

In Italy, it is traditional for generations of families to remain in the same residence throughout their lives...great grandparents living with three younger generations, greater risk of the elderly being infected.
Some of my punters haven't been outside house and car in two weeks.

Italy has warned today their hospitals are struggling with numbers needing beds. And only a tiny tiny proportion of the population are infected.

As for death rates and 80% being mild...... So says China. Do we trust them? News is coming out they knew about this month's ago. The lab which reported the genome has been quietly closed down and sciences around the world are finding parts of the sequence are missing.

We don't hear much from survivors except how their experience was certainly not mild.

I think we'll be over 1000 cases within the next few days and the deaths will start. We need to close down the UK completely. No one in or out until we can control this.

Numbers in China are back on the up now done travel restrictions have been relaxed. This is not under control.

We did a large stock up on non perishable items today. We have a baby due in a few days so want to make sure we have enough in that we don't need to do a shop run away so even if this comes to nothing we won't be inconveniencing ourselves or wasting anything