• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
It's come up countless times in basically every single autistic/disability relayed group and space I'm in,
People aren't coping particularly well, and it seems (at least in the autistic specific groups) to be less due to the virus itself and more the uncertainty of lockdown and other measures.

I'm genuinely curious to see if deaths and injury as a direct result of lockdown could possibly come close or exceed how many there would be without such measures.

(Edit: the more wider disability groups and spaces tend to be more worried about the virus itself).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think everybody is finding the lockdown a mentally exhausting experience, even those of us who don't normally suffer from anxiety.

I agree @imanautie, beyond the virus itself there will be additional deaths that are a consequence of lockdown. However I would assume the experts who are modelling all the scenarios know and will consider that as part of their calculations to find the strategy that minimises harm as broadly as possible.

It's strange times. Normally apps that track people would be heavily criticised, but in the middle of a pandemic a way of tracking interactions could be highly beneficial. If it allowed some of the restrictions to be lifted then I think people would take this, despite the civil liberty concerns.

It's strange times. Normally apps that track people would be heavily criticised, but in the middle of a pandemic a way of tracking interactions could be highly beneficial. If it allowed some of the restrictions to be lifted then I think people would take this, despite the civil liberty concerns.
If it's implemented like the apple|Google method it's not a privacy risk, if it's implented lazily it is.

Apple and Google are not companies I consider to have a good record on privacy, but that's a discussion for another time.
No, but they published a rough protocol spec and if it's accurate I personally consider it not privacy risking.

Interestingly, I just saw this article from the Express, that says about a Whitehall insider who claims to have seen the government memo about lockdown saying that it will begin to be eased on 25th May:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...lockdown-social-distancing-covid-19-whitehall

I know that we don't really know what's going to happen, but I think we're probably very, very near to the peak (if not at it already), and I'd say that this seems like a plausible date based on what we know. I looked at the American model that predicts we'll see 37,000 deaths overall, and by the end of May, deaths are increasing in only single-digit numbers each day, so I'd say that that seems plausible.

I've also begun hearing in more and more places that the government wants to try a staggered reopening of schools after May half term, with Year 10s and Year 12s (my year group) going back first. By after May half term, the peak should have quite comfortably been passed in Britain, so I'd say that that seems like a safe time to start reopening schools.

What are your thoughts on these predictions?

Interestingly, I just saw this article from the Express, that says about a Whitehall insider who claims to have seen the government memo about lockdown saying that it will begin to be eased on 25th May:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...lockdown-social-distancing-covid-19-whitehall

I know that we don't really know what's going to happen, but I think we're probably very, very near to the peak (if not at it already), and I'd say that this seems like a plausible date based on what we know. I looked at the American model that predicts we'll see 37,000 deaths overall, and by the end of May, deaths are increasing in only single-digit numbers each day, so I'd say that that seems plausible.

I've also begun hearing in more and more places that the government wants to try a staggered reopening of schools after May half term, with Year 10s and Year 12s (my year group) going back first. By after May half term, the peak should have quite comfortably been passed in Britain, so I'd say that that seems like a safe time to start reopening schools.

What are your thoughts on these predictions?
Mid may for lockdown to begin to release is about what I predicted, with it being a few months for social distancing to be reduced.

Apple and Google are not companies I consider to have a good record on privacy, but that's a discussion for another time.

Yet many of us will but a 5G phone using equipment installed by a Chinese company with close links to it's government..... Couldn't make it up could you!

All current "advice" says we "SHOULD" do X.
"SHOULD". Not "MUST".
I tend to agree with you - the wording on all notices is should - it has never been must.

Not that this makes a difference common sense should apply here anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where this should vs must has come from. Are people thinking of the Highway Code, where must is the law and should is just strong advice?

The government's Coronavirus advice that you should do something is actually backed up in the legislation. It is an offence not to follow it.

Not sure where this should vs must has come from. Are people thinking of the Highway Code, where must is the law and should is just strong advice?

The government's Coronavirus advice that you should do something is actually backed up in the legislation. It is an offence not to follow it.
But not always, some of the shoulds arent strictly in the law.
Said law-http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made

Well they can't prosecute you if you don't wash your hands, but I feel like this is splitting hairs a bit.

Well they can't prosecute you if you don't wash your hands, but I feel like this is splitting hairs a bit.
There's no legal limit on how many times you can go out for excercise or how long if I've read correctly.

Reactions: Mer