• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Crazy prices

GaryH

TS Member
My brother, his wife, their daugher and myself were looking at doing a break in Alton Towers in a fortnights time as their daughter wants to go and see CBeebies land etc.

So, I phone the AT Booking line as I wanted to ask about the annual pass price for staying over etc.

"Due to extremely high call volume" blurted out down the phone at me, which is 10p per minute. Funny enough, EVERY time I have called the booking line, I get this recorded message. Hmmm, not enough call centre staff perhaps, making people wait, which in turn makes money for Merlin? Anyway, 70p later I get though.

So, the prices. Brace yourself.

With my AP discount, ATH was £570. Splash was £432. Thats for 2 nights, B&B.

Now, if I were stupid enough to book this, lets now think about the price to get in, then the price of food and drink inside for the 4 of us, and then the cost of food and drink in the hotels in the evening, oh, and she wants to do the waterpark as well, so cost in 4 of us doing that.... i'd say you'd be looking at close to £1,000 for just 2 nights in the "resort".

Needless to say, I didnt book it and have contacted a B&B down the road.

Seriously Alton Towers? Where the hell do your prices come from? Its like car insurance. They seem to pick random numbers out of the sky. Alton Towers and Splash hotels are nice, but lets face it, they are lower standard than some Travel Lodges. No air con in the rooms, smaller rooms, paper thin walls, dated rooms, all for the princely sum of £570. No thanks.

I know I once looked at going for one night for my wifes birthday over fireworks and staying in the hotel. It was just a stupid price.

For that sort of money you might as well go to europa park. Or somewhere else in europe.

I wouldnt have to, but for the other 3, with my discounts, its still about £75 or so to get in.

OK lets think about this, lets say I have more money than sense and stay ATH...

£570.

So, first day in the resort we decide to go the waterpark:

£12 for me, £15 for my bro and partner, and £10.50 for the daughter so thats £52.50 (im assumed no AP discount on the other tickets as last time we went the staff wouldnt give AP on everyones tickets unless everyone in the party had an AP).

That night we go to Flambos for food and I get my AP discount off all the meal. £56.64. Of course, we will have drinks (soft drink with Flambos) so lets say we have a pint each, thats another £8.90

Then in evening we sit in ATH and watch the show, and have another 2 pints each and little un has a soft drink, say £20.

Next day, into the park. Use a BOGOF voucher so thats £25 per adult, and for the child its £32.40, so thats £82.40

Eat in the park in Pizza Pasta, £31.84.

During the day we have a few drinks, some sweets, and buy a ride photo, so lets say we spend £25 between us all through the day on misc items.

That night back in the hotel, eat in Secret Garden and have a drink each with AP discount, say £40.

Same again, watch the entertainment, 2 more drinks, £20
==================================
So in total, if I add all that up, umm, £907.28 !!!!
==================================

For essentially, 2 days in the park. Now I also of course have to factor in the cost of fuel to get there, which is about £60 return. And I think spending £25 in the park during the day, for 4 people, one of which is a 7 year old is reasonable. Also bear in mind, there are no fast track tickets included in this!!!!

Dont get me wrong , I feel the prices for the hotels are shocking , really I do, but you dont ~NEED to spend all that extra , except fopr park tickets of course.

I wish it were cheaper too, i'd love to stay, but as a disabled person, i just cant afford it

Unless you can be bothered to drive somewhere you need food in the evenings. With a child I think its rather difficult to go anywhere without buying something during the day.

Dont get me wrong , I feel the prices for the hotels are shocking , really I do, but you dont ~NEED to spend all that extra , except fopr park tickets of course.

I wish it were cheaper too, i'd love to stay, but as a disabled person, i just cant afford it

I dont think I spending much extra, food and drink in the hotel is a no brainer - unless of course you go elsewhere in Alton, and the odd bits in the park is reasonable too. The only way we could have done it cheaper would be to not eat in the park during the day and take our own food.... but I dont believe any of the figures ive quoted there are excessive..... in fact, I think they are quite conservative. Like I said, I could have added fast track onto that to ensure we get on all the rides....

I guess that high price for the Alton Towers Hotel is for a Moon Voyager Room? I've just had a quick go at booking on the website and although availability is mixed for two weeks time there are some good prices. For 2 nights on weekdays Splash Landings is £320 for 2 adults / 2 kids. Prices are higher at the weekend but for Friday/Saturday at Alton Towers Hotel it is £459.
The Chained Oak B&B charges £97 per night for a family room if they want a cheaper place with no bar, restaurant, entertainment etc (but there is a great walk in the woods!)

£20 per person might seem expensive for Flambo's, but last time we stayed at Chained Oak we ate at a pub in Alton and paid around £12 for main courses. Therefore if you are getting starters and desserts included, £20 isn't too bad for all you can eat!

Stay at the Chained Oak then?
I agree the pricing for stays including a Saturday is very expensive, I guess enough people are willing to stay and pay those prices, otherwise they would be cheaper.
I also think the weekday pricing for Splash Landings has come down slightly recently, £159 for 4 in a room isn't too bad.

They will only charge what people are willing to pay, that's why it's so much cheaper closed season and mid week. When we were on the feedback forum we questioned the high prices and were told the the hotel is pretty much constantly fully booked, and if people are prepared to pay those prices then why would they reduce them? Unfortunately it makes perfect business sense.

Stay at the Chained Oak then?
I agree the pricing for stays including a Saturday is very expensive, I guess enough people are willing to stay and pay those prices, otherwise they would be cheaper.

Yes but your missing the point. Of course there are B&Bs cheaper, but I'm taking about staying in the resort in the same way if I went to Europa I would stay in their resort.

I think the only people willing to pay those prices are people who have never stayed there before and are expecting something spectacular, perhaps comparing it to Disney maybe?

If this was a peak date with no AP discount then £500-£600 is about right for two nights. But WITH AP discount that seems to be a very over the top price.

For a slightly better comparison, 2 nights in Hotel Matamba at Phantasialand for 4 adults (assuming the child is over 11) is €660, but that includes 2 days entry, 2 days worth of fast pass and a room with a view over the park.

:)

How much is the big blue at BPB ? Im sure its just as bad ?

edit: just looked, this weekend is £250 with wristbands for a family of 4, staying one night and one day wristbands

The pricing is indeed obscene for the rooms you stay in and this is the reason why I have now not stayed in the hotels during the theme park season for 2 years.

The problem really is demand outweighs the supply, with more people wanting to stay compared to how many rooms they have, which does mean they can charge what the want! Maybe this will change over time with the lodges coming, but who knows?

I wouldn't even think about staying in the hotels during main season unless some crazy deal came along. Then come closed season and you can get two nights with entry to waterpark (and sealife!) for about £50 a person.

This is exactly the issue.

Whilst the hotels do not represent value most of the time in any way AND the standard for the money is poor, ultimately, if they are selling rooms then what incentive is there on the part of AT to make improvements quickly and cut the price?

None.

Remember it's also a "luxury holiday" for some people. Everyone has their own opinion on luxury and value, but also if noone booked the prices wouldn't be this range. At the end of the day people want to escape and stay in Alton Towers and have the convenience.. so would pay for it rather than stay in a Premier Inn with zero buzz.

Be interesting to see if they hold their ground with enchanted adding another 700 or so guests each night. I imagine they will though as they're that sought after!