• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

"Danger of Death"

The last i can think of is oblivion. But someone cold have jumped the fence for something like RTM and we might not be told.

If someone is dumb enough to jump a fence in to a ride area, that's their problem. Instant Darwin Award, one less moron in the world.
Is the wrong answer.

It could be that this is all proactive. Even if *something* did happen, it could be that someone ended up in a low zone and nothing actually occurred.

If someone is going to be stupid enough to climb over a fence then some signs really isn't going to stop them. Towers already had their backs covered with the previous "danger, ride area, keep out" signs.

For the vast majority of guests they just make the park look like a more dangerous place. Not the most appealing look for parents with young children.

:)

It could be as a result of a H&S executive's comment, since they were recently on park. These "Danger of Death" signs are actually quite common if you know where to look for them. Any commuter on the Tube will see them at the end of the carriages, and most railway stations have them (especially if they are electrified). It is pretty blunt though.

It's still quite disconcerting on the tube, to young families who may be going on a day/evening out. Don't use this door as you might die.

It's still quite disconcerting on the tube, to young families who may be going on a day/evening out. Don't use this door as you might die.
We could argue forever, but the fact of the matter is that signs of this blunt a nature, with no theming effort put in at all, and them being located far too close to each other don't belong in a theme park like Alton Towers!

I'm not really wanting to be an advocate for these signs, but theming them would probably invalidate them. Someone claiming "I thought it was just part of the theming..." would probably be held up in a court of Law and it looks like the park is belittling the danger involved in going in to a ride area.

At the end of the day, we see these signs everywhere with fire escapes and so on. Who has ever seen a themed fire escape sign? They are always kept lit up in cinema screenings, which you would think would be a distraction, but you just don't notice them.

They are not going to detract from anybody's experience and it is just highlighting that these are dangerous machines and you should keep to the assigned pathways.

Who has ever seen a themed fire escape sign?

Arthur, Europa Park! ;)
They are not going to detract from anybody's experience and it is just highlighting that these are dangerous machines and you should keep to the assigned pathways.

No but at the same time, in light of recent events, they are not going to make the park seem the safe place that they want it to be portrayed as. The odd one here or there may be ok. However the are plastered everywhere a few meters apart from each other.

That should be obvious to anyone except those to young / stupid / mentally challenged to be able to read. The only people who wouldn't realise ride areas are dangerous will not be able to understand the signs! Thus they are pointless.

Has anyone ever heard the theory that the best disguise if you want to commit a crime is a high vis jacket? Slip on a reflective vest and you can walk in to almost anywhere, because people just assume you are a builder or someone else working in the area. High vis is now so common (even kids on school trips have to wear it) that people genuinely don't notice it any more, negating the whole point of wearing it in the first place!
The more these signs are plastered everywhere, the less people will pay attention to the warnings. If these signs were rare, they would get noticed. If anything, this many signs is counter productive.

If someone is going to be stupid enough to climb over a fence then some signs really isn't going to stop them. Towers already had their backs covered with the previous "danger, ride area, keep out" signs.

For the vast majority of guests they just make the park look like a more dangerous place. Not the most appealing look for parents with young children.
Perhaps the word 'death' has been used on purpose - that's the word that potentially makes someone think twice about entering a restricted area. Or perhaps it doesn't, these things are more about back covering than actual prevention.

That's the Tube though. This is concerning what should be an immersive theme park, not public transport!
Air has a theme? :)

(Sort of) joking aside, I think vending machines, staff in Alton gear etc do more to kill any immersion than a sign on a fence.

The more these signs are plastered everywhere, the less people will pay attention to the warnings. If these signs were rare, they would get noticed. If anything, this many signs is counter productive.
Surely the point of these signs is that there isn't a run of fencing that you can hop without a sign being in view?

The odd one here or there may be ok. However the are plastered everywhere a few meters apart from each other.

Yeah, plastering them a few meters apart is overkill. Usually you should not have to see more than one in your field of view. Have any of the other Merlin parks done the same?

That should be obvious to anyone except those to young / stupid / mentally challenged to be able to read. The only people who wouldn't realise ride areas are dangerous will not be able to understand the signs! Thus they are pointless.

Did anyone read about the incident on Batman at Six Flags over Georgia:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/06/29/teen-decapitated-by-batman-ride-at-georgia-six-flags.html

And I believe the parents tried to take the park to court!

Unfortunately I don't agree with the over-usage idea: You could extrapolate that for any safety sign. You could also argue that putting up these signs enhances the theming of a ride, especially in X-Sector, making it look more scary.

At the end of the day, we see these signs everywhere with fire escapes and so on. Who has ever seen a themed fire escape sign? They are always kept lit up in cinema screenings, which you would think would be a distraction, but you just don't notice them.
I notice them, The amount of times I have complaind to my local Odeon..! once you notice them then thats it, it just grates and niggles at you and winds you up. Even if they dimmed the light but no, A great big green lit sign and spotlight shining on the door. Bit like these signs now, See one and you will notice and be looking for them all.
We aint all stupid, we dont all need wrapping in cotton wool and being protected from ourselfs.

What would be so wrong with putting a big sign on the enterence, saying don't attempt to climb the fence or you will be fined and removed from the park. Believe it or not, more of the gp will be more scared of a fine than being killed by the ride.

Seriously though, this is real overkill. They don't need to be that close together, and there doesn't need to be so many. It kills the atmosphere, and the staff and the vending machines don't. At least they are functional. A sign won't stop people going into the ride area if they decide they are going in anyway.

The signs do nothing to stop people jumping the fence and it could actually encourage stupid teenagers to jump the fence so they can look cool that they went into the "risk of death" area

From that very same article:
Six Flags officials are uncertain why 17-year-old Asia Leeshawn Ferguson of Springfield, South Carolina scaled two six-foot fences and passed signs that said the restricted area was both off-limits and dangerous to visitors,

Put up all the signs you like, electrify the fence, and have guard towers with machine gun posts. It won't stop a determined moron.

This will be an internal job by the parks H&S team (Lin... oh nevermind). The only way this would have been a result of the HSE would be If there had been an incident involving a guest jumping over a fence, sustaining injuries and leading to a report being sent to the HSE. I'm sure we would all know by now if something like that happened.

There were already signs up so these more 'blunt' signs placed every few meters is a bit over the top. I don't think it will help the park either, wouldn't surprise me if the media are all over this soon enough. If we see these signs placed around The Smiler too, well, the media will have a field day with that one.

If someone is stupid enough to jump over a 3-12ft fence, then a sign isn't going to stop them in their tracks and make them think 'oh I might die'. A fence is there for a reason, it's not there as a challenge to accept, or a part of an obstacle course, it's there to stop you getting past whatever is behind it. Are people really that stupid and lack the common sense they need it spelled out for them what they can and cannot do.

If there weren't any signs around any rides then I probably wouldn't have a problem with this. Although the fact we've had safety/warning/danger signs around all major rides since forever this seems to be a very counterproductive decision.

Last edited:
If someone did jump the fence and get splattered then AT are covered as they have warned you.
That's exactly it. There's no way they can put surveillance on every single little bit of ride area, so if someone was stupid enough to climb over AT can say there were ample warnings and therefore they are not liable for the accident.