• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

"Danger of Death"

I would expect that one thing that may have prompted these signs is the suicide under a pirate ship that happened in the USA http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/man-commits-suspected-suicide-afte-5994086

I have been on an e-stop on Air before due to people in the ride area, I think they wanted a shortcut to the car park. Also I think on Air (and Thirteen) it isn't so obvious that it the queueline fence is the only fence between you and the ride, Nemesis, Oblivion etc are easier to spot.

It reminds me recently of loads of hotels placing yellow "Hot tap is hot" labels in every bathroom. I like to think Alton Towers don't really want to have blue and yellow death signs all over their park, they are only doing it to comply with the HSE.
Almost everytime I have used a tap with a warning the water has been uncomfortably hot.

I would expect that one thing that may have prompted these signs is the suicide under a pirate ship that happened in the USA http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/man-commits-suspected-suicide-afte-5994086

It could well have had an impact. But then if someone wanted to die in this manner, a sign informing them of the danger of death wouldn't exactly do much to prevent that.

Who knows why they have done it, we will never actually find out. I personally don't think they'll last all that long, for a variety of reasons!

:)

What ride is that on. I'd assume kingdom quest and the wizard bike thing (sorry, haven't gone for over a year, can't remember the names) but might not be. Has thorpe got it yet. Most likely all merlin parks will be infected by exadurated, pointless signs before the start of next season :(

Are these signs really ruining anyone's day? I don't get the frustration.

@Rick No but they are very prevalent, and they stick out like a sore thumb. I saw them spaced out only a few feet in between on the runaway mine train. Makes the place look like a construction site not a family friendly theme park.
The signs they had before were adequate.

Are these signs really ruining anyone's day? I don't get the frustration.

So should something only be considered bad at a theme park if it ruins people's days? I suppose it would explain a lot at Towers - run down theming, scaffolding in Dark Forest, clear instead of red water on Nemesis, these signs, lack of events and entertainment - none of these things are likely to ruin anyone's day. But it does not mean they are things you expect to see from well kown theme park.

So should something only be considered bad at a theme park if it ruins people's days? I suppose it would explain a lot at Towers - run down theming, scaffolding in Dark Forest, clear instead of red water on Nemesis, these signs, lack of events and entertainment - none of these things are likely to ruin anyone's day. But it does not mean they are things you expect to see from well kown theme park.

No not at all, but once again I invite you all to remove your enthusiast hats and ask "Does it really matter?". I know it matters to you guys, which is why the discussion is occurring, but does it matter to the vast majority of Alton Towers visitors? I suspect the answer is no and enthusiasts seem to accept that, but... they don't accept that Merlin respond at an appropriate level.

I can't discuss scaffolding again. It's an area that utilises scaffolding as part of its theme.

Err... well, yes it does matter. Ok so your saying that if it was you first time to towers, and you were slightly worried after the crash, and you saw a load of danger of death, how would you feel about the park?

No not at all, but once again I invite you all to remove your enthusiast hats and ask "Does it really matter?". I know it matters to you guys, which is why the discussion is occurring, but does it matter to the vast majority of Alton Towers visitors? I suspect the answer is no and enthusiasts seem to accept that, but... they don't accept that Merlin respond at an appropriate level.

I can't discuss scaffolding again. It's an area that utilises scaffolding as part of its theme.

If I take off my enthusiast hat then yes it does matter, in fact it matters more so! As an enthusiast I know that the park is safe and those signs aren't going to make me think any differently. From an enthusiast point of view I think they harm the asthetics of areas of the park but maybe you're right and that doesn't mantter.

From my 'general public' hat, does it matter? Most certainly! These signs were here, there and everywhere. I suspect there may well be even more since my last visit (I'll find out on Saturday). These are signs of danger, they make it look like danger is all over the place. Now if you were to go climbing into ride areas then yes it is but the proportion of guests stupid enough to want to do this must be under 1%. For everyone else it just makes the park look less safe than it actually is. How is that good for public perception? Sure the public aren't going to kick up a fuss about it but I can't see how it improves the image of the park, especially when Towers has been in the news for safety 'issues' so much recently.

Off-topic but please don't tell me you approve of the Rita scaffhold tunnel, or even that scaffholding is a suitable theming choice for a 'dark forest'. My understanding is that Towers management are not overly keen on the tunnel but it is the only viable option for the 'massive' H&S risk of walking under Rita's launch track. Idealy there would be money for a themed tunnel that adds to the area, alas such an investment would provide no direct financial return.

I understand your point, however the reality is, as much as it won't ruin anyone's day (like you say) the opposite can MAKE your day.

Lets take nemesis; red water as an example:
With clear water, no comment/reaction - WITH red water "wow, that's cool." Not to mention a lot of visitors have been before and are not as unaware as you seem to be suggesting. "the water was red last time, it was cool." - towers should be striving for more 'wow' rather than 'its OK' or things not being noticed.

On their own perhaps I can understand the insignificance, but collectively, all these 'little things that no-one notices' do get noticed, certainly not just by 'enthusiasts.'

Back on topic, I think you're correct in that a proportion of people won't notice, however a proportion will and a further proportion will have noticed a change. Hell, some people might even like it, maybe it heightens the 'fear factor.'

Side Point: You know we all became 'enthusiasts' by visiting as the 'GP' yeah? :p

Actually, people do notice. 3 separate, unrelated groups of friends who have gone to Alton Towers have posted pictures on Facebook of them pulling faux scared faces with the signs.

Cue the usual comments from others about crashing/having a death wish/never visiting again.

Actually, people do notice. 3 separate, unrelated groups of friends who have gone to Alton Towers have posted pictures on Facebook of them pulling faux scared faces with the signs.

Cue the usual comments from others about crashing/having a death wish/never visiting again.

Point proven - many thanks!

I find some of the comments on here questionable.

The scaffolding in Dark Forest is loathed by Alton Towers senior management. It is not meant to be there and nor should it be there. It is a disgrace and looks absolutely hideous - no matter how much it's dressed up as 'theming'. It needs removing ASAP.

As for the signs regarding 'danger of death' - well, Alton Towers seems to have more of these sorts of things than any other theme park I have ever visited. And I have been on over 400 coasters. Never have I seen such constant warnings. Not even in the USA! There are 15 in Area 1 of Rita's queue line alone. Danger of Death. Danger of Death. Danger of Death. Danger of Death. Danger of Death. Danger of Death. Danger of Death. Great. They had an accident in June and now there's posters reminding you how you can die in the park every 3 metres down a queue line. Just great.

People do notice these things, whether consciously or subconsciously. It's not nice.

There are park rules and regulations. If people choose to break them, or cross fences and risk their lives - that is their own problem. You cannot wrap people in bubble wrap - even if that's what Alton Towers appear to want to do!!

Of course the signs aren't ruining anyone's day. But is that really the point? Is that what this has come to? What can we get away with but still not ruin anyone's day? Disney wouldn't plaster signs every 3 metres on fences. The word ruin is quite loaded.

I worked at Alton Towers (Ug Land) in 2007 and not once did I see a guest wander into Rita or Corkscrew's ride area. These instances are incredibly unusual which is why I feel these signs are OTT.

Last edited:
What ride is that on. I'd assume kingdom quest and the wizard bike thing (sorry, haven't gone for over a year, can't remember the names) but might not be. Has thorpe got it yet. Most likely all merlin parks will be infected by exadurated, pointless signs before the start of next season :(

Kingdom Quest. :)

Here we go again, the can-do-no-wrong management at Alton Towers is being asphyxiated by the Merlin beast.

There is no differentiation. Merlin is headed by ex Alton Towers people for a start. It needs to be accepted that decisions you don't like are made by the park themselves.

Personally I reckon it's a teaser for the Air retheme next year. I'm quite looking forward to a H&S pre-show complete with a photoshopped hi-vis vest and hard hat photo opportunity in the queue line.