• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

"Danger of Death"

They'll be putting these up next, just in case you can't read..
k10233932.jpg

Great condescending of guests who aren't enthusiasts, guys. Not at all embarrassing, snobby and doesn't make us look bad at all. :)

The signs are stupid, the old ones were enough, and if anything just make the park look more dangerous.

I notice them, The amount of times I have complaind to my local Odeon..! once you notice them then thats it, it just grates and niggles at you and winds you up. Even if they dimmed the light but no, A great big green lit sign and spotlight shining on the door. Bit like these signs now, See one and you will notice and be looking for them all.
We aint all stupid, we dont all need wrapping in cotton wool and being protected from ourselfs.

You complained about a fire exit sign being too bright?

I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining of the brightness if there was a fire that cut all the power out...

Certainly the other side of the 'daft H&S' argument, especially given the fire exit signs are actually legally required to be within set parameters otherwise the company are extremely liable and in trouble for it...

I dont know why they did away with fire alarm linked lights. They could be switched to stand by, and auto turn on when the fire alarm sounded or the power failed.

You complained about a fire exit sign being too bright?

I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining of the brightness if there was a fire that cut all the power out...

Certainly the other side of the 'daft H&S' argument, especially given the fire exit signs are actually legally required to be within set parameters otherwise the company are extremely liable and in trouble for it...
Yes when it shines on the screen and ruins my movie that i have paid money to see, nxt they will be leaving the lights on incase people fall over as they get up half way through the film

Just to put my opinion into perspective I've spent years defending the need for better and clearer signs. I've seen people vaulting restricted area fences (thankfully only on low level risk rides) and heard some of the crazy excuses they've used to justify it.

But in this case I see nothing wrong with the previous signs. They got the message across perfectly well.

Telling people they may die is not necessary at any Theme Park let alone one trying to hide a recent near fatal accident. If we compare to the train station example; on a platform you are allowed to roam free near steep drops, electrified materials, fast moving trains and potentially unlocked restricted areas. In this case danger of death is very real. At a Theme Park everything is fenced off or controlled in some manner. The danger is still there but ending up in a situation of death takes real effort.

A sign won't stop people going into the ride area if they decide they are going in anyway.
It won't stop a determined moron.
If someone is stupid enough to jump over a 3-12ft fence, then a sign isn't going to stop them in their tracks and make them think 'oh I might die'.
Any kind of warning sign acts as a warning to deter people from doing something, whether that be a road sign or whatever. It's not designed to physically stop someone from doing something. At least once or twice a season someone gets hit in a low zone somewhere. People are stupid.

If someone did jump the fence and get splattered then AT are covered as they have warned you.
Exactly.

Last edited:
It's not designed to physically stop someone from doing something.
This is exactly what the previous signs did.

People are stupid.
You are right. And this is EXACTLY why the signs won't have any effect. People don't care about these signs. How often have you seen someone smoking around the park (not in the designated area) and that is clearly signposted, and that's certainly not good for your health.

It's still quite disconcerting on the tube, to young families who may be going on a day/evening out. Don't use this door as you might die.

Yeah but people are so thick thesedays they need this sort of obvious, in your face warning!!!!! But hey ho, plenty more scrap metal for the travellers to pinch in the winter , nice money earner for them there.

You are right. And this is EXACTLY why the signs won't have any effect. People don't care about these signs. How often have you seen someone smoking around the park (not in the designated area) and that is clearly signposted, and that's certainly not good for your health.
Is this comment a joke?

These signs do cover Alton Towers' back if something was to happen, but the previous signs warning of danger did the same. Not all warning signs need to tell you that you might die!

I will be interested to see if one of the papers do pick up on these signs. Got to admit I would have little sympathy with Towers if they did.

:)

I will be interested to see if one of the papers do pick up on these signs. Got to admit I would have little sympathy with Towers if they did.
Of course, they might only find out by virtue of this topic and then it'll all be your fault :)

'Danger of Death' is unnecessary and the signs are stylised poorly. Signage needs to be in place to warn idiots that lack common sense, but not in such a stupid manner like this.

Yeah the signs are a litter over the top, but unfortunately with the amount of disruptive guests trying to break the rules, cause havoc and go in to forbidden territory (especially since Smiler), they aren't too surprising.

These signs do cover Alton Towers' back if something was to happen, but the previous signs warning of danger did the same. Not all warning signs need to tell you that you might die!

What IS the actual story? I know papers make stuff up to suit their angle, but what's the actual story here?

"Theme park put up signs warning people of potential death (if they enter an area with high speed vehicles)"

It's even more of a non-story than one of the Smiler victims getting given a frame with Alton Towers on it...

A lot of Helen Lovejoy in this thread...

As pointed out earlier, it's unlikely that the Health and Safety Executive could have forced the park to add the signs, but has anybody considered that Merlin's insurers may have done so instead?

The use of language on the signs is interesting, in particular the threat of prosecution. I'm not a lawyer, but it would be very hard to justify a criminal prosecution if you cross a fence to get your phone back, and I don't think Merlin's legal folks really have an appetite for launching expensive and time-consuming civil proceedings either.