• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris 2014: 'Ratatouille' dark ride

Of all people AstroDan how have you not seen this? I must have posted it multiple times on here and TT. If I'd have known I would have bombarded your inbox :p

Brilliant documentary, my favourite.

Yeah it is a really good watch.

I like Misson 2, but once you've seen that documentary and see just how much effort went into the original ride, you can't help but feel a little annoyed at Disney for just ditching it like they did.

Not seen this before (I don't think), shall endevour to watch over the weekend! Thanks for posting!

:)

In what possibly marks a new absolute low for DLP, they've projected KFC's logo onto the side of TOT for a special event.

EltvZUu.jpg

To make matters worse, popular net newspaper The Daily Dot has published an article entitled 'Disneyland Paris hopes this employee testimonial makes you forget its scandals'

I don't think anyone would disagree that France was a stupid place to build a DisneyLand, it doesn't mesh well with their own view of their culture. Disney has an identity that love it or loath it is at complete odds with French culture.

Tangled supposedly grossed a higher cinema receipt in France than the UK.

it set an opening-weekend record among non-sequel animated films (first surpassed by Rio) and among Walt Disney Animation Studios films (surpassed by Frozen). Its highest-grossing markets outside North America was Germany ($44.2 million), where it is the highest-grossing 2010 animated film,[5] followed by France and the Maghreb region ($39.4 million) and the UK, Ireland and Malta ($32.9 million).[

If that's correct it doesn't suggest Disney goes against French culture.

I think that's rather a broad generalisation.

Tangled supposedly grossed a higher cinema receipt in France than the UK.

If that's correct it doesn't suggest Disney goes against French culture.

I think that's rather a broad generalisation.

The parks do to quite a degree, not necessarily the films. They are not one and the same thing.

John Wardley did an interview where he discusses the French theme park industry in the late 80's and 90's. It's worth a listen (it might have been his first Season Pass interview)

The parks do to quite a degree, not necessarily the films. They are not one and the same thing.

John Wardley did an interview where he discusses the French theme park industry in the late 80's and 90's. It's worth a listen (it might have been his first Season Pass interview)

Fair enough, I might try and take a listen to that it sounds interesting.

I always thought it was where it was, rather than "that" it was if that makes sense?

Fair enough, I might try and take a listen to that it sounds interesting.

I always thought it was where it was, rather than "that" it was if that makes sense?
The location didn't help but French people really were turned off by the whole thing when it opened. No alcohol in the park? A very American style? Big bold and brash?

All things that were directly at odds with the French culture and the way the country sees itself. Things have changed since obviously but the original thoughts remain in a lot of people's minds.

That's at least how I've heard it anyway :)

As a bit of a Francophile, Disneyland is definitely somewhat at odds with French culture.

Mainly as it's so American.

The resort so clearly should have been built in Spain. Aside from the culture thing, the climate would have allowed for more guests year round and the Spanish language is so vastly spoken around the globe. It never fails to astound me that, regardless of any financial deal offered by the French (this is Disney, they can afford to build wherever they want), they went with Paris and not Madrid, or Barcelona.

Building in Spain wouldn't be quite so obvious as you might think.

Paris is far, far more central and more easily accessible than anywhere in Spain from the UK. Not to mention the fact that the Channel Tunnel opened around the same time as Disney... a major factor!

You wouldn't get Germans, Belgians etc. going to Madrid - and look at Parque Warner... struggled for years.

Paris is a great location in terms of being roughly in the middle of western Europe, the transport links are obvious. But as a cultural location it was a fail.

Shame it wasn't London really. Might have given Tussauds / Merlin the kick up the bum the needed / need now.

*thinks about it further*

OR... could it have killed off Chessy / Thorpe alltogether?

Parc Astérix has done fine since Disneyland Paris arrived - even though investment and operations are mostly far worse.

It could have been a success in the UK, we'd surely have loved it and people would have come over from Europe. It will be interesting with Paramount Park, if it does well then Disney really would have done well.