• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Resort, California: General Discussion

Screamscape said:
2014 - Big Thunder Rehab - NOW CLOSED - (2/15/14) Is Big Thunder Mountain cursed? Some might think so after seeing how many delays have kept Big Thunder from re-opening, but there is a more logical explanation. While I’m sure there are many little nagging items that are contributing to the delay, one reader managed to get some candid information from a park supervisor about one of the major issues.
According to what they were told the latest delays were caused due to software problems with the ride’s control systems, sensors are apparently detecting ‘ghost’ trains and causing the trim brakes to stop or slow down trains too much in mid-ride, and apparently they’ve even had a couple of trains valley during testing so far. Obviously these issues need to be worked out, but they also indicated that there was a plan to have an Annual Passmember preview event for Big Thunder’s re-launch… but I’m guessing if they do, it may depend on timing of when the ride is ready ahead of the busy Spring Break and Summer seasons.

Oooh, ghost trains, they should incorporate that into the ride story...

Screamscape said:
General Park News - (2/15/14) Guests should be forewarned that while Soarin’ over California remains open, the ride is said to be running at half capacity while the theaters are being refurbished one at a time. The expected wait time once inside the building is said to be just under an hour, so don’t be deceived by the look of a short line outside the building.

nope.soarin

Though it's obviously good to hear about refurbs.

Screamscape said:
2014 - Big Thunder Rehab - NOW CLOSED - (2/20/14) Good news for the future reopening of Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland came in tonight. I’m told that Cast Members have been sent an invitation to come and ride the re-launched Big Thunder Mountain during the final test & adjust phase, which is currently planned for the first two weeks of March. Barring any problems, passholders will likely get to ride next, followed by a soft reopening for park guests by the end of March.

Freakin' thing is such a tease.

Sam said:
Screamscape said:
2014 - Big Thunder Rehab - NOW CLOSED - (2/15/14) Is Big Thunder Mountain cursed? Some might think so after seeing how many delays have kept Big Thunder from re-opening, but there is a more logical explanation. While I’m sure there are many little nagging items that are contributing to the delay, one reader managed to get some candid information from a park supervisor about one of the major issues.
According to what they were told the latest delays were caused due to software problems with the ride’s control systems, sensors are apparently detecting ‘ghost’ trains and causing the trim brakes to stop or slow down trains too much in mid-ride, and apparently they’ve even had a couple of trains valley during testing so far. Obviously these issues need to be worked out, but they also indicated that there was a plan to have an Annual Passmember preview event for Big Thunder’s re-launch… but I’m guessing if they do, it may depend on timing of when the ride is ready ahead of the busy Spring Break and Summer seasons.

Oooh, ghost trains, they should incorporate that into the ride story...

ghost trains on coasters are a common issue and a regular reason for the breakdowns seen day-in-day-out in theme parks. Usually caused by something triggering a sensor somewhere, the ride system will usually assume the worst and place a train there. But if they crop up regular i would guess there is an issue with the sensors.

Fascinating graphic on Disney & More where the author imagines how a new Star Wars Land might fit into the current Disneyland.

V0AnKjy.jpg

Nobody likes the Subs or Autopia. I do worry though that seemingly without any space to expand, we'll start seeing the removal of some actually liked Disneyland rides in the future.

Screamscape said:
2014 - Big Thunder Rehab - OPENING MARCH 17th - (3/8/14) Great news for Disneyland guests, Disney has confirmed that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will reopen to park guests on March 17th featuring all new coaster track, the restored Rainbow Ridge Mining Town, restored and repainted mountain sections and updated trains… plus they promise a few NEW surprises to be discovered along the way.

Forward, back, forward, back! Cool little POV from Disney for the world's best Big Thunder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_FbmNFeuow#ws

Third post in a row but WORTH IT!

Screamscape said:
2014 - Big Thunder Mountain Rehab - OPENING MARCH 17th - (3/10/14) SPOILER ALERT!
A video showing off an all new special effects sequence added to the final lift hill on Big Thunder Mountain was posted online and simply put… it is amazing. Ok… beyond amazing… I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after watching the video clip A-MAZ-ING! If this new finale sequence looks even half as good in person as it looks in this video, Disneyland has just set a new bar for adding new seriously awesome effects to an existing attraction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V560MYU7AJc#

Eurgh, vertical video syndrome, but WOW. Jesus H. Christ wow. It's amazing they've managed to achieve all that without using real fire. That looks like an absolute blast. Disney hit it out the park yet again! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fantastic! In a world of super-HD-3D-VirtualReality-screens it shows how incredible effects can be created with really simple means.

Looks brilliant :)

Simply stunning :)

Scott said:
Fantastic! In a world of super-HD-3D-VirtualReality-screens it shows how incredible effects can be created with really simple means.

And usually the most simple solutions turn out to be the best!

It's one of the things you have to hand to WDI; they have this wonderful philosophy 'idea first, worry about how we make it happen later', but when they do come to building a lot of their ideas they go for the most simple and obvious mechanisms which just simple work! Of course their are other cases where they also go crazy and complex, which is often pretty awesome, but they do have this ability to think outside of the box and be more straightforward with things.

A prime example if you ask me would be the Medusa in Mystic Manor. The image is required to change as a vehicle passes, and at the same time the snakes on the canvas need to come to life. How do they do this? With some crazy skrims and pepper ghost projections? No. They just change the image with a simple projection and lighting method, and the snakes just rise up slightly on hinges from the flat canvas. Simple, but effective :)

Just got back from our Holiday in the US and after riding this last week can confirm that those effects are brilliant. Very simple, but brilliant. The ride itself is a LOT better than when I rode it back in 2008.

Good job Disney.... ;D

Arendelle land Announced for both Disneyland and Epcot!

Based off the kingdom from Frozen both Disneyland and Walt Disney world shall be receiving Arendelle, a land that has 2 major attractions and a re skinning of sorts. The project is expected to be completed in 2016! The major headliner shall be known as Frozen the Journey through Arendelle! Over at Disneyland the ride shall take the current place of Matterhorn mountain which shall be closing on April 24th to be prepped for this new attraction. Over at Walt Disneyworld a Matterhorn like mountain shall be built to house the attraction where the Maelstrom show building currently stands!

The ride shall be part thrill ride and part dark ride with slow segments in between. Inside guests will face oncoming blizzards, wolves, and even the fearsome Marshmallow himself all while seeing our beloved friends from the film along the way! Including one show stopping let it go scene! It is said that the Disney World version shall be slower and encompass more show scenes, due to Disneyland needing to work with the infrastructure of the currently existing Matterhorn. Kristen Bell and Santino Fontana have both been confirmed to return as has Idina Menzel and Johnathan Groff and Josh Gad to voice their respective characters within the attraction! The second attraction is going to be an interactive walk through/show held inside a chilling showbuilding where guests shall start off in okaen’s trading post and then exit to find Kristoff and Sven who want the guests to join them to meet the trolls! This ends with guests being magically transported from the troll area to meet the Snow Queen Elsa and her sister Anna inside the Ice palace! Think of enchanted tales with belle on a much larger scale! Beyond that both lands shall be refitted to resemble Arendelle and have total re designs! Expect construction to begin at Disneyland on April 23rd and at Disney World starting April 24th.

didyouknowwaltdisney Tumblr source

::) Nice April Fools from a folk I follow on Tumblr, very nearly mistook it for being real!

It wouldn't be a shock if it did eventually happen though, especially a Maelstrom rehash at Epcot, what with queues to meet Elsa and Anna being of an excessively ridiculous manner even for Disney characters...

Benzin said:
It wouldn't be a shock if it did eventually happen though, especially a Maelstrom rehash at Epcot, what with queues to meet Elsa and Anna being of an excessively ridiculous manner even for Disney characters...

I'm aware that the queues to meet the Arendelle princesses at Disneyland go aaaall the way through Fantasyland up to one of the connecting entrances to Frontierland.

Rowe said:
Benzin said:

I'm aware that the queues to meet the Arendelle princesses at Disneyland go aaaall the way through Fantasyland up to one of the connecting entrances to Frontierland.

That's... Horrendous...

Just, no, no character is worth waiting that long for...

Disney, slowly bringing insanity to parents everywhere...

Benzin said:
Rowe said:
Benzin said:

That's... Horrendous...

Just, no, no character is worth waiting that long for...

Disney, slowly bringing insanity to parents everywhere...
The lines at Epcot apparently reached 4-5 hours at times!

Nothing major but there has been a small fire in the backstage area of the park. Looks like it was some trash (aka bins) that may have caught fire and it was quickly put out. Articles from the LA Times and CBS LA.

:)