• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Resort, California: General Discussion

The Diamond Celebration is happening! And I am internally screaming with joy.

From D23

World of Color—Celebrate! The Wonderful World of Walt Disney
Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, along with Steve Davison, executive for Parades and Spectaculars with Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment, announced that this all-new edition of the popular nighttime spectacular at Disney California Adventure will celebrate Walt Disney and his determination to make his dream of Disneyland the fantastical reality that it is. In the show—which will include both animated and live-action footage, fountains, lasers, special effects, and, of course, music—Mickey Mouse will lead park guests on a journey that recounts moments from Walt’s unparalleled legacy in animation, as well as his dream of Disneyland.

Paint the Night Parade
Also debuting on May 22, the Paint the Night parade will be a breathtaking state-of-the-art nighttime parade that combines innovative floats, awe-inspiring costumes and special effects, and more than 1.5 million LED lights illuminating Main Street, U.S.A. like you’ve never seen it before. The parade will feature Mickey Mouse, front and center, “painting the night” with a little help from the power of Tinker Bell’s pixie dust. Favorite characters from Monsters, Inc., Cars, Toy Story, Frozen, and more beloved Disney films will be part of the magic.

Disneyland Forever Fireworks Spectacular
A dazzling anniversary celebration at Disneyland certainly cries out for a dazzling display of fireworks, and Staggs and Davison promised exactly that. Disneyland Forever will feature the largest installation of projection mapping technology in a Disney park and special effects that will turn Main Street, U.S.A. and other Disneyland park locations into a “magical canvas” that will transport us—pyrotechnically—to the London skyline of Peter Pan, along with other dream-like settings. The new fireworks spectacular will also include two new songs, including a composition written by Disney Legend Richard Sherman, “Kiss Goodnight.”

Last edited:
It looks lovely but is ultimately just shows/fireworks which Disney already offer across their resorts.

Although I can appreciate Disney obsessives fappage.

I'm excited for the fireworks and projections, as that was something that disappointed over Christmas - the fireworks just don't cut it compared to Disney World mainly due to the miniature castle not being much of a centrepiece for a show. Hopefully this has addressed this for now and future events

I'm excited for the fireworks and projections, as that was something that disappointed over Christmas - the fireworks just don't cut it compared to Disney World mainly due to the miniature castle not being much of a centrepiece for a show. Hopefully this has addressed this for now and future events

The fireworks in Disneyland were far more substantial than those at Disney World in my opinion. You're right though, the larger castle in Florida means they can get away with far less pyro content and it looks just as good. I also didn't like the way they angled all the bigger shells off to the left at Disneyland; it just looked weird and unbalanced.

5 minutes of fireworks with no story at Disneyland compared with 15 minutes of fireworks, story and projection mapping at Magic Kingdom???

5 minutes of fireworks with no story at Disneyland compared with 15 minutes of fireworks, story and projection mapping at Magic Kingdom???

I said the fireworks were more substantial, not that I preferred the Disneyland version. I definitely preferred Wishes, due to what you've just mentioned above. The Disneyland show is longer than Wishes though.

Really?! Interesting! Disneyland Resort's "Remember...Dreams Come True" is (in my opinion) far more superior than Wishes.

Did you see it this Christmas? If so, was it Fantasy in the sky...because that sounds like what you are describing?

Fantasy in the Sky is only being shown before "Disneyland Forever" is ready. This temporary shift to the previous show is because the launch points and technology needed for DF and the new additions it will bring conflicts with the highly popular R...DCT show's launch points and technology.

It's nice to see Imagineering try something very different and immersive and will definitely be one of their most ambitious - let's just hope Main Street's effects will pull off. The DL castle isn't suitable for effective projection mapping like Cindy's in WDW/Tokyo and Aurora's french one. Hence when The Magic, The Memories and You! was shown at both WDW and DL, the california one was shown on the façade of it's a small world unlike WDW's castle.

Yes, fantasy in the sky is what I'm referring too. Bit disappointing as it was too short and had little wow factor. Can hardly be called substantial when there is little substance

Disneyland has recently celebrated the 20th anniversary of the Indiana Jones Adventure which, obviously, opened in 1995 and they held a special AP event wherein Tim O'Day and Tony Baxter (dressed up AS Indy, *stands to clap with enthusiasm*) held an incredibly insightful and good humoured panel. I really recommend watching it.

Great vid, thanks for sharing.
Indy has always been top of my dark ride want list. If only they had built the planned clone at DLP. :(

Best dark ride I've ever been on, most likely the best in the world (IMO). I shall be watching this!

Reactions: Sam
Always gets me right in the feels whenever I hear about EPCOT. That optimistic, idealist energy and the neo-futurism that is so pronounced in both Tomorrowland and EPCOT is so distinctly Disney now. Don't know if anyone else has ventured into the Walt Disney Story thing at Hollywood Studios but Walt was so committed to those ideas, so passionate about EPCOT; I wonder what he would make of the place today, and more broadly, Disney's entire theme park empire today.

Reactions: Ash
Disneyland are potentially planning a $1 Billon expansion, this is subject to the Anaheim city council extending the current tax exemption on gate tickets, a policy which was agreed 20 years ago and is due to expire (although Disney have never had to pay tax on gate tickets since the park opened). No details on what the $1b would include but is likely to include new attractions and a new multi story parking lot. They have said they currently have no plans for a third park. If goes ahead will be spent between 2017-2024. The last $1b expansion was the make over of California Adventure between 2007-2012.

A star wars land is rumoured to be the next big expansion at the park and is rumoured to be on land at the back of frontier land or possibly to replace toon town.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/extensi...-mean-another-1-billion-disneyland-expansion/

Also in other fantastic news Disney have banned selfie sticks from their parks completely from 30th June due to safety concerns and blocking other quests views of shows/parades etc., this is in place at WDW, Paris and Hong Kong. They were previously banned on attractions but will now be banned completely with security checking for them when completing bag checks and not allowing them to be taken into the parks.

It's really good to see local authorities helping out small and independent struggling parks like Disneyland.