• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Do you prefer starter or dessert in a restaurant?

Do you prefer starter or dessert in a restaurant?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. When dining out at a restaurant, most restaurants will offer 3 courses. These are; a starter, a typically savoury course at the beginning of the meal, a main course that makes up the bulk of the meal, and a dessert, a typically sweet course to finish off the meal. I’m assuming that the vast majority of people order a main course during a meal, but I’ve noticed that the two peripheral courses at the beginning and end of a meal can divide opinion a tad more, with some people sometimes not ordering one or the other. When dining out with groups of people, I’ve noticed that some people often don’t have a starter and some other people often don’t have a dessert. With this in mind, I’d be interested to know; when dining in a restaurant, do you prefer starter or dessert? If you could only pick one of the two peripheral courses in a 3-course meal, which one would you choose?

Personally, I would choose dessert without a second’s hesitation. I have a real sweet tooth and can often find at least a few things on a dessert menu that take my fancy; I’m often tempted by anything entailing caramel, toffee or fudge, as well as an apple pie or apple crumble with custard, and I’ve also grown to really enjoy a good chocolate brownie, amongst other desserts! By comparison, I have less of an appetite for the sort of things typically seen on a starter menu, and often, nothing on a starter menu really catches my eye. As I often find a full 3-course meal more food than I want to eat in one sitting, I will often veto starter and just have a main and dessert, to be honest.

I’m unsure how popular that opinion is, however, as I know numerous people in my family who would always choose starter rather than dessert, and would always choose a cheeseboard, the sole savoury option, as a dessert. When I went out with my family once, my mum even asked for something off the starter menu as a dessert!

But I’d be interested to know; do you prefer starter or dessert in a restaurant?

Hi guys. When dining out at a restaurant, most restaurants will offer 3 courses. These are; a starter, a typically savoury course at the beginning of the meal, a main course that makes up the bulk of the meal, and a dessert, a typically sweet course to finish off the meal. I’m assuming that the vast majority of people order a main course during a meal, but I’ve noticed that the two peripheral courses at the beginning and end of a meal can divide opinion a tad more, with some people sometimes not ordering one or the other. When dining out with groups of people, I’ve noticed that some people often don’t have a starter and some other people often don’t have a dessert. With this in mind, I’d be interested to know; when dining in a restaurant, do you prefer starter or dessert? If you could only pick one of the two peripheral courses in a 3-course meal, which one would you choose?

Personally, I would choose dessert without a second’s hesitation. I have a real sweet tooth and can often find at least a few things on a dessert menu that take my fancy; I’m often tempted by anything entailing caramel, toffee or fudge, as well as an apple pie or apple crumble with custard, and I’ve also grown to really enjoy a good chocolate brownie, amongst other desserts! By comparison, I have less of an appetite for the sort of things typically seen on a starter menu, and often, nothing on a starter menu really catches my eye. As I often find a full 3-course meal more food than I want to eat in one sitting, I will often veto starter and just have a main and dessert, to be honest.

I’m unsure how popular that opinion is, however, as I know numerous people in my family who would always choose starter rather than dessert, and would always choose a cheeseboard, the sole savoury option, as a dessert. When I went out with my family once, my mum even asked for something off the starter menu as a dessert!

But I’d be interested to know; do you prefer starter or dessert in a restaurant?
I'm the same Matt, I rarely have starters.

Why is there no option for both?? If I’m out, I’m having the lot 😂
Fair enough; I will add “both” to the list! I thought “undecided” might cover that, but I’ll add that as another option!

OK.
Me, hanging around with the old gits with limited appetites...and it is very common believe me round here.
Just a starter and a pudding please.
And two pints.
And sometimes an extra pudding.
Another tickbox at the top please Matt, to see if I'm not alone.

Starter, nearly always.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do like a pudding/dessert but typically, would go starter.

HOWEVER... if we're going French, then cheese. Well, CHEEESE.

OK.
Me, hanging around with the old gits with limited appetites...and it is very common believe me round here.
Just a starter and a pudding please.
And two pints.
And sometimes an extra pudding.
Another tickbox at the top please Matt, to see if I'm not alone.
Fair enough; I’ve added “just starter and/or dessert”, Rob. Is that what you were looking for?

My apologies... I clearly massively underestimated the range of meal preferences on here! I've added "neither" to the poll.

I've heard the rhetorical question "pudding?" Asked in a resturant before, right before they walk to the rest room to powder their noses and pay their respects to Lord Pablo.

I assume we just select the dessert option if that is our preference, @Matt N ?

Last edited: