• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Doctor Who

I didn't think the John Hurt thing was that much of a secret, I knew a month ago what was going on. :p Still, the way it was revealed will live down in Doctor Who history.

For once, Moffat did as he promised!

If anyone still watches the show or cares :)P). It's been leaked that the 12th Doctor will be announced live on BBC One this Sunday in a special show titled "Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor" - which will be filmed in front of a live audience. The show will include interviews with past doctors and companions followed by the reveal of the 12th Doctor, replacing Matt Smith this Christmas.

TV listings are currently showing a repeat of Mastermind at 7pm. However this will change soon as the press release regarding the live TV special is expected be released at midnight tonight by the BBC.

Edit: Full press release is out and can be found here.

I was a big fan of Doctor Who but recently lost interest for some reason. However, I've caught up again now and I'm looking forward to this announcement!

The show has really improved this year so hopefully it will get better from here.

There are talks too of series eight being a full length 13 episode run without any gaps like they've been doing the past few years. The BBC will be keen to want the audience to get fully used to the new Doctor so a 13 episode run will be likely.

Yay it's another Scot! :D

3rd Scotsman to play the Doctor, and it's good that they've gone with someone who's not a young kid's presenter thankfully, I've got a good feeling about this one. :)

Well this crude photoshop of Purple Aki's head on Matt Smith's body became worthless within 60 seconds of me making it.

BQ2CxquCAAEK-v2.jpg:large

#PurpsFor13thDoctor

Think Capaldi's a brilliant choice for the Doctor, and I look forward to seeing what he does with the role, but...

What the flip was that programme?! Cheesy, extremely light on content, producing a shed load of staged hype, patronising and at times just annoying. Very American in a way, and very much not what Doctor Who is about. Of course the announcement of a new Doctor is going to cause a stir, and will generate a fair amount of hype, but to try and drum it up much, much further with a programme like that... gah. Hopefully not indicative of the rest of the series.

Islander said:
What the flip was that programme?! Cheesy, extremely light on content, producing a shed load of staged hype, patronising and at times just annoying. Very American in a way, and very much not what Doctor Who is about. Of course the announcement of a new Doctor is going to cause a stir, and will generate a fair amount of hype, but to try and drum it up much, much further with a programme like that... gah. Hopefully not indicative of the rest of the series.

The problem is that this was simulcast in USA, Canada and Australia - so they've tried catering for those audiences as well as the British audience.

But yeah I agree with you on the whole. It's an awful lot of hype for a role which cannot be judged at all. No one can make a solid opinion on Capaldi until he's on our screens playing The Doctor. I've found it rather odd they've chosen to make such a big thing out of it.

I didn't like the way Zoe (the presenter) spoke about what regeneration is and so on... Doctor Who is hardly a small scale show. Most people (even those who do not watch the show) understand the basic foundations. I didn't see the point in any dumbing down.

I like Capaldi so it will be interesting to see him play The Doctor. It's nice to see an older Doctor for once so I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

I honestly wasn't surprised by this decision. It was rumoured for a few days that it would be him.

I'm looking forward to seeing him on the show though. He'll be different to Matt Smith for sure and I think that I'll miss Matt Smith quite a bit. He was a great Doctor!

Matt Smith has been my favorite of the new doctors (Eccleston onwards) so i will be sad to see him go but i am glad we are getting a slightly older doctor this time round.

Think Capoldi will be really good.

Does anyone else find it unusual they've picked someone who has already had 2 quite notable parts in the doctor who universe? First his role in the episode "The Fires of Pompeii" which he played one of the main parts. But more importantly John Frobisher from Torchwood: Children of Earth. I think I'm going to find it quite hard to watch him as the doctor and not remember that role.

That aside though seems like a good choice. Was going to watch the reveal program but it sounds a bit of a waste of time :/

It's not weird at all really. Freema Agyeman and Karen Gillan had both previously played different roles in Doctor Who before they both became companions under different names.

Even Eve Myles played a role in Doctor Who before she became Gwen on Torchwood (although this was covered up in series four of Doctor Who).

Admittedly Capaldi's roles were a bit more prominent, but it has happened before so there's no real harm in it!

James said:
It's not weird at all really. Freema Agyeman and Karen Gillan had both previously played different roles in Doctor Who before they both became companions under different names.

Even Eve Myles played a role in Doctor Who before she became Gwen on Torchwood (although this was covered up in series four of Doctor Who).

Admittedly Capaldi's roles were a bit more prominent, but it has happened before so there's no real harm in it!

That last sentence was what I was getting at. I know it's not unusual for actors to appear before taking on lead roles but neither of the above two mentioned were more than minor parts. Gwen's was more major but they intentionally made the link clear by giving her the same name and linking their story's.

Both of Capaldi's roles however were quite memorable and while I'd love for them to reveal "oh those people were actually the doctor all along!" or something mind-blowing like that it just wouldn't work in this case (especially given what happens to Frobisher).

Like I said minor thing but it just seems odd to me.

Thank goodness that we're seeing a fantastic actor take on the role. Good riddence to the simultaneously wooden and over-exaggerated acting of Matt Smith who for me at least has been an unbearable screen presence.

I'm hoping Capaldi can bring back some of the darkness and edginess of the character that hasn't been present since Eccleston bowed out.