• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

After a 2 year gap from Manor I decided to visit today with the following verdicts..

Vertigo similar to Alton towers Is coming along nicely if not I say better? Looks almost complete!

Noticed a handful of PROPPER lodges on the caravan park? Think the park are testing the water with this.

The Haunting is brilliant now after its upgrade much needed however still slightly cheesy!

4D facade looks 10 times better with a proper facade than before too!

Stand up floor less still off? :(

Also VERY noticeable that the only dark rides now are Haunting and golden nugget. They need to either fix up Pirate Adventure or bring in another dark ride. Also instead of making Excalibur just a Christmas attraction they should really use the space better. It's taking up a hell of a lot of room.

The zoo is still looking neglected even after the Tamrin trail.

I have so much love for this park but so much frustrates me about it.

Just noticed on the website that they're selling 1000 half price tickets. Good value, though they're only available on certain days and only adult tickets are available. They go on sale mid day tomorrow. I just hope they can tell the time, unlike a certain other park.

Also, being from a place with next to no news of its own, my local newspaper has reported that the haunting has been revamped with a new back story and improved/fixed effects. Don't know how good this will be (could screen shot if anyone wants but really can't be bothered at the moment ;)) know but I really haven't been on it enough to compare.

Also, being from a place with next to no news of its own, my local newspaper has reported that the haunting has been revamped with a new back story and improved/fixed effects. Don't know how good this will be (could screen shot if anyone wants but really can't be bothered at the moment ;)) know but I really haven't been on it enough to compare.
this (very good) vlog of drayton manor by Theme Park Worldwide (TPW) has a part about The Haunting's revamp. skip to 5:28 for that bit.

Last edited:
I had no idea The Haunting had been referbed. Looks very promising, though obviously these things never read well on video.

When are we going? :p

Tamlin trail looks to me like a bad version of Amazu. I just find it looks quite bland

I also think it's a bit off saying this is now open when half of the enclosures don't yet have any animals in them.

Also VERY noticeable that the only dark rides now are Haunting and golden nugget. They need to either fix up Pirate Adventure or bring in another dark ride. Also instead of making Excalibur just a Christmas attraction they should really use the space better. It's taking up a hell of a lot of room.
I agree.
I would love to know what is going on with Pirate Adventure. It's been closed for so long now, but given they've removed all the signage for it, I can't see it coming back any time soon.
The Castle of Dreams was easily the most disappointing part of Magical Christmas, so I would have no regrets about replacing this area with a new attraction. A medieval castle doesn't really fit with Christmas for me, and soldiers with arrows sticking through their chests redecorated to be wrapping presents really doesn't work!

On a somewhat related note, are they planning on removing the fake snow that covers everywhere along the train ride from Thomas Land to the farm area? This looks a bit stupid now given its almost Summer!

Pirate Adventure was shut down after a risk assessment saying it was a fire hazard. Supposedly the park say it's having work done but I highly doubt it. There's been strong roumers it's yet again turning into a Thomas brand water ride, which is heart breaking if true!

They need to stop focusing on Thomas into the "main park" if they want to expand more push it into the zoo area like they already have started.

I arrived at 10 the other day and did all the attractions by 1. What's that saying really? The park is desperately crying out for more attractions.

3 hours to do all attractions in a park is very easy though... Hell I spent two hours in Bakken and did everything major...

Went on The Haunting a couple of times yesterday, here's a breakdown/review of the ride seen as there's not been a deal of fanfare about it, Drayton should of really advertised it as a new thing, anyway...(SPOILERS!)

R.I.P.A Truck - Dr Ghostman introduces himself and thanks you for taking part in the experiment into proving the existence of paranormal activity, he says he will keep in radio contact throughout the vicarage and for you to input 'Yes' or 'No' into the data retrieval system on your way out so they can keep a record of whether you think paranormal activity has occurred.

Skeleton Corridor - Dr Ghostman radios in and says they are already receiving high levels of activity above you, at which point a brief build up through low rumbling audio is heard followed by skeletons swooping over above you and a blast of smoke at the end of the corridor, although the smoke machine wasn't working yesterday. He then tells you to move on.

Portrait Room - The ghostly vicar reveals himself in the portrait and urges you to leave so he can rid the house of fear, following which an apparition will start roaming around the ceiling and he declares vengeance, stating you will become trapped in stone as he is. This room also hosts some new effects such as mirrors on the wall falling towards you and the projections on the portrait and ceiling . More subtle effects include billowing cobwebs and the vicars swivel chair moving as the show starts. Although the vampire animatronic from the original version is no more, the lights under the floorboards and the bodies of the previous paranormal crew members suspended in the ceiling have been retained, shown as the vicar becomes more aggressive. The show ends with Dr Ghostman radioing in saying there getting the highest levels of activity they have ever seen and tells you to move on to the safety of the chapel.

The Chapel - As you pass through either corridor you pass a moving eye portrait displayed on a screen (This is the same portrait in each corridor). The madhouse itself now hosts black lighting and strobe lighting which is set in time with the music, as well as projections of another spirit that appears on either side of the chapel. The central tomb plumes smoke sporadically and at the climax of the sequence the lid slides open and the arm of the vicars corpse reaches out through the smoke as evil laughter is heard (this replaces the bats from the original version and does not appear to be working in the TPWW video.) Dr Ghostman radios in and says they have now more than enough evidence to go by and reminds you to input your answer into the data retrieval system on the way out. This narration is also present in the exit corridors so you don't miss it which is a nice touch. The amount of yes's or no's are displayed on a bar chart on a screen, though the screens weren't working on my visit.

So all in all it's very good and the different scenes are all tied together nicely now with a beginning, middle and end, whereas the original version lacked finality. The musty smells, smoke and Midnight Syndicate audio create a consistent ambiance and although the projections are all premade, such as from AtmosFX, they lend themselves to the ride nicely. My only gripe would be the vicars motive isn't entirely clear, and isn't clear whether it's supposed to be his arm in the tomb, just my interpretation. This is probably due to the evil laughter not suiting his previous narration.

Anyway Iv'e said a lot, just hope they maintain all the effects and have lots of smoke fluid on stand by, go ride it if you get the chance ;)

Last edited:
Didn't realise how recent the refurbishment for the haunting was! What was the original story for the ride before the referb? I seem to have completely mentally blanked what it was like previously, from going round there were some bits I half remembered from the original but I can't remember the overall story and am trying to work out how much it's changed lol.

Well this is at least the third story The Haunting has had. The last one was something about the vicar being a vampire, though you couldn't understand a word he said. The one before it was .... errr... the same thing minus bats...? (Anyone care to jump in here?) :p

Well this is at least the third story The Haunting has had. The last one was something about the vicar being a vampire, though you couldn't understand a word he said. The one before it was .... errr... the same thing minus bats...? (Anyone care to jump in here?) :p

All I know is the vicar was originally just un-dead rather than a vampire and there was something about a curse and it being 'defeated' at the end. There were no bats but were announcements saying the Institute are trying to rectify the situation and thanking you for your help as you left.

You mean there's no more bat on a stick?

This makes me sad...

It did get some laughs...

Just a quick question. Does anybody know if you can uses the Term Time Tickets without taking a toddler. I have emailed DMP but no reply.

Personally I felt that the new version of The Haunting pales in comparison to the most recent version. It has gone from being an ultimately tame tame but genuinely sinister attraction (the pre-show was very similar to that of TOTT if I recall, and the first corridor featured a genuine jump scare) to just being totally tacky, tounge-in-cheeck and clearly aimed at a very young audience. The changes to the lighting and effects in the actual Mad House section were reasonable but overall the revamp has lessened the experience for me.

A redevelopment of The Haunting / Wild West Shoot Out / Drunken Barrels area to feature a genuinely decent dark ride (or a new dark ride on the Pirate Adventure site for that matter) is long long overdue. Is Drayton Manor all about Thomas Land now? Meanwhile, the rest of the park rots.

And don't even get me started on the zoo; disgusting treatment of many of the animals, many of which were visibly distressed on my visit.