• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

That said, this is the park who hedged their bets on the Maurer X Car. So...

In all seriousness, I'd sincerely hope they've learnt their lesson, and if they are indeed building a coaster (still quite dubious at this point) they are going with a quality product.

In the past this area of the park has been the been rumoured place for a coaster and the original plan was a launched Vekoma for 2012 but i imagine those plans have changed as it was to replace the Buffalo.

Something along of the lines of an Intamin megalite or Mack's version would do wonders for the park but cant seem them adding one of these . If they are going more the family route i could see them getting a Mack spinning coaster. While there is a possibility we could get something from Vekoma or Mack i wouldn't be surprised to see something from one of the cheap manufactures such as Zamperla like one of their Moto Coasters which wont do the park any favours.

Don't think it was really supposed to be given away that a coaster is coming and although not confirmed, in Theme Park Worldwide the show, they had an acting part where Sanbrooke says something along the lines of 'crazy that 2018 is lining up to be like 1994 again, coasters at Blackpool, Alton and Drayton! I think he might have let slip there! :p

I wish I could be excited at the prospect of Drayton finally getting another thrill coaster, but a Zierer clone really isn't going to sell it for me.

Yes I remember that area it was located not far from the entrance to the zoo and was at the back of the Jungle Cruise/Excalibur lake. Remember visiting in the early 90's.

Hi All, new poster, long time lurker here!

I attended The RCCGB lunch on Sunday, I don't normally go but I'm glad I did! The event was hosted by Colin Bryan the owner of Drayton Manor. He gave some really Interesting information... He's semi-retiring and therefore his sons are taking over and making more of the decisions

There will be a coaster in 2018 replacing the buffalo its manufactured by S&S and it will be a first of its kind but I think it will be more family than thrill. A woody has been designed however that's more 5 years down the line as they're not quite happy with the plan and not quite sure if it suits. Pirate Adventure will not reopen as the manufacturerer of the ride either won't or can't replace the parts I can't remember. The plan is to hopefully split the attraction into two attractions

So sounds like exciting news for Drayton, he did say however it's been one of the worst summers for years

Bring on 2018!

I attended The RCCGB lunch on Sunday, I don't normally go but I'm glad I did! The event was hosted by Colin Bryan the owner of Drayton Manor. He gave some really Interesting information... He's semi-retiring and therefore his sons are taking over and making more of the decisions

There will be a coaster in 2018 replacing the buffalo its manufactured by S&S and it will be a first of its kind but I think it will be more family than thrill. A woody has been designed however that's more 5 years down the line as they're not quite happy with the plan and not quite sure if it suits. Pirate Adventure will not reopen as the manufacturerer of the ride either won't or can't replace the parts I can't remember. The plan is to hopefully split the attraction into two attractions

So sounds like exciting news for Drayton, he did say however it's been one of the worst summers for years

Bring on 2018!
thank you so much for the info! :)
edit: it still says "Currently under going some repairs. We hope to have it back running soon" on the website. hopefully they'll change it soon. plus, 2018 will officially be another 1994! :)
disappointed about Pirate Adventure, though. :(
if it's a major coaster, they should hopefully announce it this year, not next year. :)

Last edited:
Did anyone actually expect pirate adventure to reopen? It's like towers saying CATCF is only closed this year. Still, a shame it's not reopening, but I'd rather have two new attractions than a pirates of the Caribbean rip off that may or may not reopen at some point.

Hope the woodie is built eventually , but if they're not happy with it at this time perhaps it needs a little more thought. I would say I'm disappointed that the 2018 coaster will be replacing another coaster (meaning that the lineup doesn't increase), but buffalo is incredibly bland even for a family ride. Any idea when it will be removed?

I'll miss Pirate Adventure. Sure it's only a PotC take-off but for the UK it was a very ambitious dark ride. Having ridden this before any of Disney's versions it did leave a lasting impression on me. So much so that when I finally visited Disneyland Paris in 2005 my main memory of PotC was that it was like Pirate Adventures. It wasn't until a 2013 revisit that I truly appreciated how groundbreaking Disneys version is.

Pirate Adventure taught me a valuable lesson. If the seat's wet you'll probably get wet too!

Bring on 2018!

Thanks for sharing that information with us! Very interesting, it is great to hear that they will be getting a coaster in 2018 although I was not expected it to be from S&S! Family makes sense, I just hope it is more family thrill than say Ben 10.

:)

I hope the layout would be substantial than that considering it looks like it's replacing Buffalo. Maybe they are looking into the same as Gale Force at Playland Cove?? It launches, which Drayton have been looking into. Like interaction would be nice though.

While a new ride would be great and expand Drayton's appeal I can't help but feel a bit sad that the Buffalo coaster is going to have to go to make room for it!
it's very old- it opened in 1987, so will be 30 years old next year! it's also very rough.
looking on the RCDB, i also discovered the the ride's full name is the "Buffalo Mountain Coaster" (even though it's on flat terrain).

Last edited: