• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I would think if it is a coaster, it will probably be 2018. Im thinking possibly a vekoma launch. I'm pretty sure if it is big planning should be online somewhere at some point, anyone had a look yet?

What's the chances of pandemonium/dutchman being moved elsewhere in the park? They are flats, so I don't imagine it would be hard to move them. The park needs every thrill ride it can get with the size of its lineup.

Thinking about what they will go for, I can see them trying for a slightly more thrilling coaster than SW8, but nothing huge. What's Drayton like for planning permission? I'd imagine that if you could build apocalypse you could build anything.

Would be nice to see a compact coaster here, pretty sure there's more than enough room? What sort would you like to see? I could see a vekoma booster bike, but I would prefer something more thrilling.
i think a Mack multi-launch (like Blue Fire, Helix and Manta) over the lake would be nice, but would probably be a bit too expensive.

It probably won't happen, but of those new gen Vekoma loopers would be amazing. Something like this:

7oNztPt.jpg

It's Lichfield District council and the last application was from March this year for something to do with the hotel!

If those two rides are departing the park then it's no great loss in my opinion. Flying Dutchman is inoffensive, but nothing special. Pandemonium, however...good riddance! It's hardly one of Fabbri's best products. Lifting the whole ride structure before it can start its cycle instead of dropping the floors under the arms seems like an odd engineering decision, and I've only ever known going on it to be a miserable headrush-fest.

I'm both hopeful and unsure about the prospect of Drayton getting a coaster, because as Dan said, historically they haven't been brilliant at choosing them. If a thrill coaster is on the cards I think they really need to get it right this time, and if they do I'll visit much more regularly, as for me a good thrill coaster is what the place really lacks.

Drayton desperately need a decent thrill coaster. There has been a lot of focus in recent years on the kids and family end of the market which has clearly served them well but let's not pretent Drayton Manor are here as another Paultons Park or Legoland. They've always targeted the thrill market as well yet this has been totally neglected. Am I hopeful of this happening though? No I am not, I expect some sort of family coaster. Still if it is a coaster and a decent one at that 2018 could be a long overdue exciting year in the UK all round!

:)

It's not going to be a Thomas Land expansion considering it's outside the front entrace to Thomas Land.

I like the way they've effectively created two Thomas Lands joined with a railway. Reminds me of what Universals has done with Harry Potter. But I agree that this is probably time for something more thrilling. Aerial Park's a bit of a hotch potch of themes so it'd be great if this could help to unify the area a bit. It could be something thrilling. One of the two rides they're replacing is a thrill ride, and it's next to Apocalypse so it creates a little thrill corner. Also, if they wanted to do a family project doing something with Pirate Adventure would have been a logical step.

Imagine a mack Big Dipper like at Walibi!

It's a possibility, but unless the next one to be built gets a revised car design, I'd be less pleased with a BigDipper than I'd like to be about a new Mack coaster. The outside seats on Lost Gravity have an awful lot of vibration for a brand new coaster, and I really wonder how well it will age. It's a shame because if the seat support framework didn't feel a bit inadequate there's no reason why it couldn't kick Gerstlauer into touch. It does feel very controlled, but it's a lot of fun and has some interesting elements.

Anyway, at Drayton a Vekoma coaster of some sort wouldn't seem to be out of the question to me. Ben 10 seems to have gone down well, and I wonder whether Vekoma might be prepared to offer a discount to get a second example of their new looper system (see Energylandia) built, especially in a country that could rightly or wrongly be seen as easier for potential customers to get to. I have to say it looks quite impressive, and could be to ride too if it's as well put together as the brilliant SFC. That said, although I'd welcome a lot of parks adding one, at Drayton I'd prefer something more proven to give them a surefire hit. If it were your park, would you want to take the risk of buying a ride with little evidence of how comfortable and reliable it'll be a few years on? Remember that it took 3 years for Blue Fire to spawn the next Mack Mega (Manta at Seaworld San Diego). Vekoma are perhaps even more up against it. After all, they have a heck of a lot to prove after years of SLCs and the issues with Battlestar Galactica, their last attempt at a more modern thrill coaster.