• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I agree that the new logo definitely looks very kiddie.

The family thrill market is actually something which I feel isn’t being fully catered for in the UK. I mean, it could be argued that Alton Towers has several very good family thrill coasters, in the form of Wickerman and Thirteen, but their marketing doesn’t reflect this at all.

In any case, if Drayton are going for the family thrill market, they could be on to a winner.

The family thrill market is actually something which I feel isn’t being fully catered for in the UK. I mean, it could be argued that Alton Towers has several very good family thrill coasters, in the form of Wickerman and Thirteen, but their marketing doesn’t reflect this at all.

In any case, if Drayton are going for the family thrill market, they could be on to a winner.
A lot of Paulton's coasters are family-thrill.

Actually I think you've got a point with the family thrill market, Thorpe just doesn't do much below 1.4 thrills, Chessington's family thrill rides are looking quite dated, I agree Alton Towers could market their family thrill rides better. I'm aware Thorpe and Chessington are quite far from Drayton but given that Drayton are competing against Merlin and their annual pass I think enough people would go down south on the pass to mention it.

Last edited:
A lot of Paulton's coasters are family-thrill.

They are, but they are 146 miles apart by road. So I would argue they are not really in direct competition. There is no dedicated family thrill park for one of the biggest population centre's in the UK. Staffordshire, West Midlands, Birmingham and the surrounding areas. Even the Midlands in general.

Drayton will be on a to a winner here I am sure, especially if executed correctly, which is starting to look potentially like it is and could be, with the immersive themed entertainment they seem to be warming too.

Can’t say I’m a fan.

It already looks pretty outdated in my opinion. This sort of style is what we were doing about 7-10 years ago. Text logos can work fine for certain types of company, but for a theme park I’d be looking for something with more character. It needs to make a statement and stick in your mind, and that’s pretty tricky to achieve with text alone. Only a few large parks come to mind that manage it.

EP incorporated the flying stars and used a very clean, professional looking font. They also use two very bold and contrasting colours that stand out.
1652198435455.jpeg

Phantasialand use a unique style, paired with something more standard for the “land” part.
1652198491787.png
They too however created a version of their logo with more personality, bringing in their dragon characters. It’s not suitable in all cases, but it’s a good option for showing something more fun.
1652198599734.png

Efteling use a clean style but that still has a themed feel to it. In this one they too use stars/sparkles, but they are included with purpose. Even if you were to removed the swoop from the E you would still likely associate them as the dot over the i.
1652199788165.png

All that the new Drayton logo has is a cheap and clumsy swirl for the O and two little Shutterstock stars that look like a naff afterthought to try and give it some personality.

It’s generic, amateurish and devoid of any personality or charm. I would really hope this is something they’ve tried to come up with in-house and haven’t paid large sums for a branding agency to come up with it (not that I believe they have…).

My biggest concern is that it looks cheap. As someone else has said previously, it looks like the sort of logo the local nursery or soft play area pays the local graphic designer and £99 website shop to come up with. It doesn’t look like the logo of an established, large scale attraction. It’s what I have expected to find for somewhere like Sundown, Bottons or any seaside fair/amusement park. Not Drayton Manor.

Consumers do make these associations too. It’s the reason branding and marketing are such huge industries (it’s kept me in work for nearly a decade now 😂). People do judge the book by its cover, and the quality of the brand makes a statement to customers. I’m not suggesting that people will stop visiting Drayton because of a new logo, but it will set a different tone for their marketing and shift perception I think.

It’s a shame really, as the old branding was pretty iconic in my opinion, and seemed to have stood the test of time pretty well given how long it had been in use. It was getting ready for a refresh and yes the inclusion of Shockwave was questionable given the audience they now seem to aim for, but a refresh was all that was needed. Not a complete ground-up restart.

Can’t say I’m a fan.

It already looks pretty outdated in my opinion. This sort of style is what we were doing about 7-10 years ago. Text logos can work fine for certain types of company, but for a theme park I’d be looking for something with more character. It needs to make a statement and stick in your mind, and that’s pretty tricky to achieve with text alone. Only a few large parks come to mind that manage it.

EP incorporated the flying stars and used a very clean, professional looking font. They also use two very bold and contrasting colours that stand out.
1652198435455.jpeg

Phantasialand use a unique style, paired with something more standard for the “land” part.
1652198491787.png
They too however created a version of their logo with more personality, bringing in their dragon characters. It’s not suitable in all cases, but it’s a good option for showing something more fun.
1652198599734.png

Efteling use a clean style but that still has a themed feel to it. In this one they too use stars/sparkles, but they are included with purpose. Even if you were to removed the swoop from the E you would still likely associate them as the dot over the i.
1652199788165.png

All that the new Drayton logo has is a cheap and clumsy swirl for the O and two little Shutterstock stars that look like a naff afterthought to try and give it some personality.

It’s generic, amateurish and devoid of any personality or charm. I would really hope this is just something they’ve tried to come up with in-house and haven’t paid large sums for a branding agency to come up with it (not that I believe they have…).

My biggest concern is that it looks cheap. As someone else has said previously, it looks like the sort of logo the local nursery or soft play area pays the local graphic designer and £99 website shop to come up with. It doesn’t look like the logo of an established, large scale attraction. It’s what I have expected to find for somewhere like Sundown, Bottons or any seaside fair/amusement park. Not Drayton Manor.

Consumers do make these associations too. It’s the reason branding and marketing are such huge industries (it’s kept me in work for nearly a decade now 😂). People do judge the book by its cover, and the quality of the brand makes a statement to customers. I’m not suggesting that people will stop visiting Drayton because of a new logo, but it will set a different tone for their marketing and shift perception I think.

It’s a shame really, as the old branding was pretty iconic in my opinion, and seemed to have stood the test of time pretty well given how long it had been in use. It was getting ready for a refresh and yes the inclusion of Shockwave was questionable given the audience they now seem to aim for, but a refresh was all that was needed. Not a complete ground-up restart.
Took the words right out of my mouth. All they should've done was replace Shockwave on the old logo with a much more Family oriented attraction, such as the Zamperla Disco, or Accelerator, make the font look a little more cartoonish, but keep the lighting and detail on it, and replace the 'Theme Park' with 'Resort'. It would've been valid and still hold the older ones charm and not lose its character.

Whilst the new logo sucks it won’t stop me visiting the park. It will probably put me off buying merch with the logo on it though. I wonder if many others feel the same and how it might affect merch sales. I’ve seen a lot of negative comments across social media about it, some positive but not too many, but that might just be confirmation bias kicking in.

They really could have done so much better with it, replacing Shockwave with Accelerator, the disc-o or even wave swinger and making some minor changes to the text as suggested would have been so simple but effective. I can’t help but see Drayton as a potential Paulton’s Park, especially since the take over and all the improvements that have been made over the last couple of years. It definitely seems like they’re aiming for the same kind of family thrill market. But now the branding just doesn’t look as polished compared to Paulton’s whereas before it was on a similar level imo. They both stood out and were unique. I don’t feel like this new logo stands out at all.

I wonder if my personal dislike for this new logo is based on nostalgia also. The previous style holds many memories for me as it’s my home park. Maybe part of me is salty that that ‘era’ is now gone. I don’t know, I just think it’s a bit sad. To me it’s like if Towers changed their iconic logo to something completely different. It doesn’t feel right. Maybe with time I’ll get used to it. I don’t really like change!

This is a bold step for Drayton Manor but can’t help but think it looks half finished. I quite like the logo type but it’s absolutely missing a logo mark to make it distinctive.

I had 5 minutes to spare this evening and added a logo mark in the shape of a rollercoaster and I’d say it looks much better. I 100% get what they’re trying to do and the audience they want to connect with and I guess they ended up with a logo that is meant to speak to young children.

FCF3A0A4-8930-4BA0-B3A1-B23874BAA43C.jpeg

Overall the new branding is very current and suits their new family audience but I’ll definitely miss the old logo having grown up with it.

This is a bold step for Drayton Manor but can’t help but think it looks half finished. I quite like the logo type but it’s absolutely missing a logo mark to make it distinctive.

I had 5 minutes to spare this evening and added a logo mark in the shape of a rollercoaster and I’d say it looks much better. I 100% get what they’re trying to do and the audience they want to connect with and I guess they ended up with a logo that is meant to speak to young children.

FCF3A0A4-8930-4BA0-B3A1-B23874BAA43C.jpeg

Overall the new branding is very current and suits their new family audience but I’ll definitely miss the old logo having grown up with it.
I think that improves the logo no end to be honest, that really does make it look a lot more professional and relevant.

What a disappointing logo. It feels very children's play center, while nicking colours from Alton Towers' logo.

Whilst the logo looks disappointing, I'm very glad to read that they're moving in the direction of family/thrills. That gives me hope that their thrill rides should remain while they focus on building thrilling flat rides and coasters that appeal to the family/thrill demographic.

I can’t help but see Drayton as a potential Paulton’s Park.

I have never understood this comparison. I would argue and have always said Paultons is a potential Drayton Manor. Yes, Drayton Manor may have stagnated for a while. But the overall offering they have already is still far more substantial and polished than Paultons.

Drayton were doing what Paultons are now doing 15 years ago. Yes they may need a new coaster, but that doesnt discount everything else they have.

Now that Drayton are finally investing properly again, this hopefully should keep them as the market leader in that market.

What a disappointing logo. It feels very children's play center, while nicking colours from Alton Towers' logo.

Whilst the logo looks disappointing, I'm very glad to read that they're moving in the direction of family/thrills. That gives me hope that their thrill rides should remain while they focus on building thrilling flat rides and coasters that appeal to the family/thrill demographic.
That's because the place is becoming a children's play centre!
That is clearly their new market.

May just be my phone but the logo seems to have reverted back on the website. Noticed earlier the blog was still there, but now that has vanished.

EDIT. Back again now. Can delete post

Absolutely... maybe even more so than enthusiasts.

Enthusiasts are more likely to be swayed by ride line-up and operations. The GP are way more likely to be concerned about branding and alike.

Not sure I agree tbh. I don't think the GP care about such things.