• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I'm booked in for the Night at the Manor on the Sat night, then a family day with the fireworks on the Sunday. Glad that's included in our annual pass price, just the extra for the Night at the Manor part.

10 minute firework show over 1 night..

Nah I think I'll pass thanks. The free ones put on by Tamworth Council are longer and as of recently, better.

Sounds like they are trying to usher the fireworks out. No wonder they are free for passholders, they couldn't possibly charge for a silly 10 minute display. People will kick off.

The fact that Shockwave’s station was painted isn’t in any way a sign that the ride will be staying. Their plan could be to remove the coaster but keep the station building for other purposes. It could even be used as a station for a potential new coaster.

They not allowed to built another coaster on that site.
This is surely not actually true at this point.

As I understand it, this is based on the fact that technically Shockwave shouldn't have received planning permission back in 1994, given its location. However, there has now been a rollercoaster of that size on the site for nearly 30 years, so I think the planning authorities would now look at the site with much more sympathy if the park were essentially replacing like for like.

Good point, I was more thinking along the lines of submitting a planning application. I don’t know if they’d have any issues with that as well?

You wouldn’t need planning permission, Nemesis required a confirmation of approval as they where changing the noise characteristics with the sand filled track and they are adding an extra support. If you do nothing different you don’t need permission. It’s like re-roofing your house.

I am pretty certain the deal with Shockwave is that they could build another coaster on the site.

The issue comes specifically with the turnaround after the double corkscrew. That turnaround goes closer to deer park houses than the planners and residents originally realised. A total oversight on their behalf. So I suspect if a different coaster was ever to be built, they would just have to pull it in a bit from that turnaround. Still absolutely loads of room for coaster which they absolutely would get planning permission for.

Not sure where that rumour started about them not being able to build another coaster there, it is only the turnaround back to the station that was an issue for the planners and residents.

It has been said in the past, that if they were to try and get Shockwave built now, due to said turnaround it would almost certainly be denied. That is probably where the confusion comes from.

I am pretty certain the deal with Shockwave is that they could build another coaster on the site.

The issue comes specifically with the turnaround after the double corkscrew. That turnaround goes closer to deer park houses than the planners and residents originally realised. A total oversight on their behalf. So I suspect if a different coaster was ever to be built, they would just have to pull it in a bit from that turnaround. Still absolutely loads of room for coaster which they absolutely would get planning permission for.

Not sure where that rumour started about them not being able to build another coaster there, it is only the turnaround back to the station that was an issue for the planners and residents.

It has been said in the past, that if they were to try and get Shockwave built now, due to said turnaround it would almost certainly be denied. That is probably where the confusion comes from.
Colin said at 1 of his talks at a ECC meets . The locals moaned about the noise and tried to get it closed so they wouldn’t have that problem again filled the track of G-Force with sand.
I wonder how they will get planning permission at the top end of the park as the locals got the enterprise removed and could only got permission to replace it if the ride was enclosed.

The housing has a good portion of council housing around that area (Deer Park) So I guess some residents would not have a choice in where the chose to live.

That could open up a whole new debate...

At the end if the day, I can't really see the issue. If the turnaround was moved slightly you would still have a massive coaster close to the edge of the park, and all associated theme park noise.

Direct line of noise is an issue, those houses are 150 metres away, and lots of them on 2 sides.
More trees, low buildings and a big soil berm could all be added to reduce noise impact, instead of a big empty overflow parking field.
But all cost money.

So I received an email realting to the halloween and fireworks event. I see that there are limited free tickets for annual pass holders so seeked to book. The only date offered is 30/10.

The code on my annual pass is not valid. Which is correct as it expires at the start of October. So I look to renew...but this means I will be "double pass"ed as the new pass would be valid from today. I won't be the only one experiencing this, any long standing members who were season pass holders pre-looping an pre-covid will have pretty much the same issue.