• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Good point, but blue markings are usually used for plumbing though, aren't they?

Half the time they seem to use whatever they fancy. Could be power, could be a buried Comms cable, could be a secret pipeline for transporting alien space monkeys. Could be to do with the coaster, who knows?

Well to remove Pandemonium, Test track , Apocalypse and the fish and chip shop it must be. I wonder also if it for the 1.3 or 1.4m target audience.

I can’t see the park putting in a 1.4m coaster, that’s not what a “Family thrill” coaster would be. It seems to be anyway that a 1.4m restriction is becoming less common for coasters these days anyway across the board.

I can’t see the park putting in a 1.4m coaster, that’s not what a “Family thrill” coaster would be. It seems to be anyway that a 1.4m restriction is becoming less common for coasters these days anyway across the board.
Maybe something like this then and they could easily have a drop tower in the centre of the Helix.

It also lists a 1.2m tall restriction which is Drayton current market.

Maybe something like this then and they could easily have a drop tower in the centre of the Helix.

I’ve ridden this before in my previous home park (Ocean Park) a number of times. It has some great airtime moments (more so than some drop towers of similar height I’d say), layout is good fun in general. My only concern is whether it fits the land Drayton has

But why add a drop tower literally as Apocalypse is removed. It would surely have been cheaper to refurbish that over buy a brand new one

But why add a drop tower literally as Apocalypse is removed. It would surely have been cheaper to refurbish that over buy a brand new one

Because Apocalypse is not a family thrill drop tower. It was at the extreme end of thrill. This is not the market Drayton are going after. They have made no secret In saying they want more attractions the family can ride together. Apocalypse was absolutely not one of those attractions.

The MD has said they haven’t ruled out getting another drop tower in the future and a sit down tower would work better for the park. I do feel Detonator at Thorpe park and Venom at the Safari park we’re more forceful than Apocalypse was.

There are some nice thrilling rides that are a 1.2m which would be very suitable for Drayton and would be much better than a Zamperla Mine Train.

Abyssus at Energylandia (Vekoma Shockwave multi launch) is 1.2m, as is Fonix at Farup Sommerland (Vekoma Bobcat). Even the mighty Lech coaster (Vekoma Bermuda Blitz) is surprisingly only 1.2m and that is a very intense ride. Things have changed a lot in recent years with regards to restraints and height restrictions, Vekoma especially are doing some brilliant stuff at 1.2m.

And then when you bear in mind that going up to 1.3m you’ve got fantastic thrill rides like Untamed, Ride To Happiness, Taron, Karnan, and Helix there’s plenty of scope for having good thrilling rides with lots of inversions that are more inclusive in terms of height restrictions. Not that Drayton are going to get an RMC of course, and some of those would be a bit too intense for their target audience. So if they want to go for one of the best “Family thrill” rides in the country then there’s an extremely high chance it will be a 1.2m Vekoma, quite possibly with inversions.

Last edited:
Just looking at how much budget the looping group will maybe have for this new area.
Shockwave cost 4 million which today would cost just over 10 million.
G Force cost £2500000 which today would cost roughly 5 million.
So maybe 7 to 8 million for the coaster, 1.5 on a flat ride and 1 million for removal Apocalypse and other building and landscaping and theming.

Just looking at how much budget the looping group will maybe have for this new area.
Shockwave cost 4 million which today would cost just over 10 million.
G Force cost £2500000 which today would cost roughly 5 million.
So maybe 7 to 8 million for the coaster, 1.5 on a flat ride and 1 million for removal Apocalypse and other building and landscaping and theming.

I really don't think you can work out what the budget might be by looking at how much rides built in the past one nearly 30 years ago and one nearly nearly 18 years ago. The owners are different for one and many different factors come into play.