• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Efteling: General Discussion

If this layout is dull, what does that make Oblivion's?

Don't think anyone can deny the layout of Oblivion can be considered a bit dull these days, it's the overall ride that makes it what it is. But after nearly 17 years I think people just expect a little more from a dive machine :).

If Oblivion was built now it most certainly would be considered dull. However back in 1998 it was the first of its kind in the world and the focus was solely on that one massive vertical (well almost) drop. Coasters like Griffon and SheiKra took the Dive Machine to a new level but even these were around 10 years ago now. Since then there has not really been much advancement; these new mini versions may cost less but they do not look as thrilling.

Hopefully we may see a nice advancement in the Dive Machine at Cedar Point in 2016 if rumours are to be believed.

:)

If this layout is dull, what does that make Oblivion's?

Duller? I don't know - it's kind of awkward with Oblivion being nearly 20 years old and as the first.

That said, I still maintain that even having been on Krake, Griffon and SheiKra - that whilst Oblivion is only my 3rd favourite dive coaster now - the drop itself is better than all of those.

I concur with others though that if Oblivion was served up now... it would be considered poor. But again, it's all within the context of the time. And, at the time, Oblivion was a world first!

I really feel that Griffon is the best example of a dive coaster yet. It encompasses the enormously wide trains (which offer an AMAZING ride on the outside), two inversons, two drops, a splash down and some airtime too. All with a delightful theme.

:)

Reactions: Rob
A nice look at how this dive machine only uses one chain for the lift & drop.
77e117c5e4eaaa80c25580da22fc4a92.jpg

It's a shame they couldn't work out a way to have no supports at all between the station and the tower. That middle girder looks rather ugly, even if it's still custom.

... Mind you, mine towers are ugly, so I guess it fits. :p

Well it is certainly going to be a unique B&M coaster! I'm liking the look of it, and unlike most ride concepts, I imagine this one will look like the concepts once it is finished.

Having ridden both miniature and plus size dive machines, it's worth remembering that in terms of drop size, Oblivion is more of a plus size model, at 180 feet of sheer drop. Also, to Oblivion's credit, it is one of the few rides that really is pure theatre, and the impact of dropping into a literal black hole is still terrifying and exhilarating in turn. To be honest, given that nobody bothered with them for nearly a decade, I could honestly have never predicted the number of dive machine installations were now seeing, not to mention how varied they've been.

A nice look at how this dive machine only uses one chain for the lift & drop.
77e117c5e4eaaa80c25580da22fc4a92.jpg

Not certain it does, if you look closely the middle portion of the chain trough has an opening underneath. This could be to allow return chains, would also explain why it still has kicker wheels.

If one chain is used for the lift and the drop hold then the drop will be naff as the weight of a whole chain would slow down the release when the clutch is opened.