• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Europa Park vs Phantasialand

Europa Park vs Phantasialand

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Europa Park and Phantasialand are Germany’s biggest, and arguably most revered, theme parks, and both of them get a high amount of praise from enthusiasts. I know Europa in particular gets very heavily praised on here, what with EuropaStreet being a big part of the site, but I’d be intrigued to know; which of the two do you personally prefer?

I’ve visited neither, although I am rectifying that in April with my first visit to Europa Park, which I’m very excited about!

But which park do you prefer? A similar thread done on another forum I’m on is currently seeing Phantasialand emerge victorious, but I’m intrigued to see how things play out on here! I’m guessing that Europa will almost definitely win here on TS given that EuropaStreet is a thing, but I’m intrigued to see how big the Phantasialand fanbase on here is…

I have recently returned from a winter visit to Phantasialand, which I have been meaning to find a moment to write up...

Although they are hugely different businesses and parks in almost every way, they both punch above their respective weight, and therefore it's difficult not to compare them within Germany. Not to give away the conclusion of that forthcoming report, but undoubtedly, as a fan of both, Europa Park very definitively takes the crown. Both Taron and FLY are exceptional rides that surpass any one coaster in Rust, and the rest of the park's selection isn't to be sniffed at, but Phantasialand just can't compete with the sheer variety of EP as a resort. Nor does it come anywhere close to capturing the warmth and the charm that Europa Park has largely managed to maintain since my first visit, even despite aggressive modernisation and expansion.

Nonetheless, Phantasialand is excellent on its own terms.

Theme park wise? Phantasia by some distance. EP lacks even a single thrill flat and I happen to quite like them and with the themeing mostly equalling up along with both packing a decent coaster line up, this is where I see and advantage to Phantasia.

Resort? EP. Not even close. Just so much more resort side.

Difficult this one, I've been to Europa Park once (two days at Halloween), and Phantasialand 3 times (6 days) in August, October, and January.

Not been since FLY opened but Taron and Black Mamba are better thrill coasters than anything at Europa.

However Europa have the ability to have a large number of good coasters such as Silver Star, Wodan, and Blue Fire.

Water rides both parks have some excellent options, though again Phantasialand edges it with the scope of Chiapas and the insanity of River Quest.

However for being able to walk around and get lost Europa has the decided advantage due to its size, and even its ability to hold large crowds is much better than Phantasialand when queues for everything are just spilling out and getting around the park can be a chore.

Both being privately owned makes them both feel more personal and customer satisfaction led. Though they both also love being as secretive as possible at times when it comes to future plans.

Hotels I've only stayed in Matamba which was lovely, hope to stay in Charles Lindbergh at some point. From what I've seen/heard the Europa Park hotels are excellent as well.

I suppose we should just thank ourselves they are both pretty easy to travel to.

Hopefully will visit Phantasialand again this year, and Europa soon enough as well. (might wait for the new coaster).

They both have their standout merits.

Phantasialand are the top tier connoisseurs of cramming almost every nook and cranny with thematic details. It certainly has the better headlining water rides and an overall thrill coaster line-up. However, the park feels claustrophobic even on an off-peak day. When it's the height of summer with horrendous heat and rammed to the rafters with guests, it becomes borderline unpleasant.

Europa feels much more laid back. Exploring it feels like an adventure, and there will always be somewhere to find a spot to relax even when the park is oozing with guests. The resort side is far more pleasant as well. Don't get me wrong, Ling Bao and Matamba are superb hotels, but getting between them side essentially a side access road really sucks the experience dry. Navigating between Europa's hotels upholds the overall experience (excluding Kronosar, but that might as well be in another village).

Anything more than a day and a half at Phantasia feels too much, and by the end of day two I've been itching to leave. Five days can easily be allocated to Europa, and every day will feel different and more relaxed. Personally, Europa is my winner.

I feel that Phantasialand is a little overhyped by enthusiasts (especially those that havn't actually been there). The headline rides are stunning, it's incredible that an independent park of their size can pull them off. It certainly makes Phantasialand an interesting park, but It isn't the complete experience you get at somewhere like Europa.

Granted I went to Phantasialand back in 2011 so no Chiapas, Taron or F.L.Y. Given that these are the 3 mega projects the park has become known for a re-visit could completely change my opinion. But back then I found the park was somewhat of a mixed bag. Still great, well beyond what the UK parks offer. Just not the perfect experience it might look on paper... although I'm struggling to say exactly why.

Interestingly, Phantasia actually appears to be winning at present!

Very interesting indeed, particularly as I posted this poll on a self-proclaimed Europa fansite... TS' Phantasialand fanbase is clearly larger than I'd expected!

Both brilliant parks but for very different reasons.

If you're a thrill seeker and don't care too much for family / tamer rides then Phantasialand is your best bet easily.

If you enjoy a good mix of attractions and taking in the atmosphere of a park then Europa is definitely the place for you. And resort wise it's obviously in a different league but that goes without saying.

Both brilliant parks and both in my top 3 European parks along with Liseberg.

For me, it’s no competition. Phantasialand can be claustrophobic and the service can be appalling. If you visit just for coasters, I can see why you’d like Phantasialand, but it doesn’t offer a whole package in the way Europa does.

Europa has greater variety and more charm. A clear winner for me.

As others have said, I think it depends entirely what you’re benchmarking them on.

If you asked me which park I’d go to for the better ride lineup (in terms of satisfying the thrill need especially) Phantasialand takes the edge.

If you asked me where to go for a holiday and chance to chill out I’d take Europa.

EP is a much stronger resort offering, but Phantasialand for me is the better theme park where rides are concerned.

Most of Phantasialand’s creative thinking, like Towers, comes from the restrictions the park faces (in terms of noise, space, etc.). I’ve often wondered if PL had the space of Europa what the park would look like. Phantasialand’s level of exquisite detail and immersion is top drawer, but it’s generally a smaller space. Is it easier to put in more detail when you’re doing it to a smaller space? If it was as spread out as EP, would you loose some of the finer details and spread it thinner?

Theoretically I feel if you could grow PL’s size while retaining the level of theming and attractions, then combine that with EP’s resort package (hotel range, Rulantica, etc.) you would undoubtedly have an incredible all round resort.

They are difficult to compare ……
coasters - draw
Adult flat rides- Phantasia
Coasters- draw Bluefire/ woodan are favourites at europa, i haven't done fly but taron and Fly are worthy competitors
Water rides - chapias and river quest are both modern, vs older classics at Europa but you do have more choice of water rides at Europa.

I do like the modern side of Phantasialand

These are the best two theme parks in Europe. But Phantasialand, whilst it's got some of the best rides in the world in terms of the experience, can feel small and gets very claustrophobic on medium to busy days. The park doesn't shift queues anywhere near as well as Europa-Park, and so your day is more likely to be affected if it is busy. That isn't to say operations are bad, just the rides aren't generally designed for the operational behemoth that is EP. There is also some fastrack, which also slightly affects the queueing experience.

Europa-Park is just enormous by comparison to Phantasialand - with the waterpark, sheer volume of rides, shows, restaurants and hotels. The dark rides at Europa-Park are also head and shoulders ahead of Phantasialand.

That said, Roland will look with envy at rides like Fly, Chiapas and Taron - and quite rightly.

:)

Completey forgot to talk about dark rides. In the early 2010s when I first visited both parks I'd have put them about equal for dark rides. But in the last 10 years Europa have been updating theres and adding new ones to the line-up. Phantasialand however have lost a few and look set to be removing the rest of the old ones for the next 2 major developments.
It means that Phantasialand is becoming more of a coaster park with every new development. Which is either a good thing or not depending on what type of experience you're after.

I’ve not been to Europa so not going to vote on the poll. But In general Phantasialand feels comparable somewhat to Alton Towers, good headline coasters and some support rides but a bit lacking, whereas my impression of Europa is that it’s more comparable to Disneyland in being an all round family day out.

Let's start by saying that both are excellent parks, no doubt. Along with Disneyland Paris they are the best theme parks in Europe. But for me this is no contest, I prefer Europa-Park hands down.

Europa-Park is a sprawling themed world with countless rides that needs at least 3 full days to fully enjoy. There is vast array of wonderful food and drink options, numerious high quality shows and attention to detail around every corner. A young thrill seeker could have just as good a day at Europa-Park as a 70 year old couple and their dog.

Phantasialand of course has some brilliant thrill rides and their themed areas, especially the more recent ones, are near Disney quality. But the park is relatively small and cramped, which really shows on busier days. And because the park is smaller, with far less rides to keep you busy, by the end of the second day you are pretty much done with the park.

This is all before even mentioning the resort side offerings. With Rulantica and their 6 hotels Europa-Park is way ahead.

Not been since FLY opened but Taron and Black Mamba are better thrill coasters than anything at Europa.

Can't agree with this at all. For me Wodan, Silver Star and Blue Fire are all better than Black Mamba which despite its incredible theming is a somewhat overrated coaster track and train.

Phantasialand really need to get Hollywood Boat Tour back open.

Only if the gut the entire thing and bring it in line with the rest of the park.

Another negative for Phantasialand would be the accessibility of the park. But that comes with the tight space available (much like with Blackpool), however I can't imagine I'd particularly enjoy having to traverse near enough the entire park to get to Taron.

Isn't the Hollywood Boat Tour Attraction / building the big rumour for the next major new attraction?

Would make a lot of sense. A modern world class dark ride in there would be special and given how good this park are you just know it would be amazing.