• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Eurovision 2014

Craig

TS Administrator
It's almost that time again folks! The UK entry for Eurovision 2014 was revealed last night. We've ditched the recent fad of digging up a singer from days of old (I'm looking at you Engelbert and Bonny), and in comes Molly Smitten-Downes. Chosen through BBC Introducing, we appear to have taken the hint and gone for a bit of a more upbeat tone this year.

I think it's still going to take quite a few listens to get a proper idea, but overall I'm quite liking it! From the live performance tonight, there's no doubt that she can sing live. Possibly one of the strongest singers we've had for a while in the competition in fact. Sure Bonny is great when she's belting out the notes, but I didn't feel her vocal last year wasn't all that overall. Interesting lyrics in this one too, quite apt considering what's going on at the moment....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wFUPCkmlOo#ws

Sooo, what does everyone think our chances are this year? I've not looked at the competition yet as there's quite a couple more weekends of heats to go through for others to choose their country yet, but for us I think we're onto a pretty decent entry. I would've liked something on the level of Euphoria in terms of energy, but it'll do. It's certainly the first for a few years where I've not took an instant dislike to our entry.

Definitely a much better entry than we've had in previous years, although I'm pretty certain we won't win. I reckon we'll get a decent mid-table finish with it.

I think that we stand a better chance than when we have been dragging the acts out from their retirement home!

I still preferred it when the public got a choice, it's been 5 years now since we got to see some of the most ridiculous entries ever, which I always enjoyed. I know that not that much of the UK actually care about Eurovision, and say it's stupid and whatever (I'm pretty positive most of them watch it anyway) but I still don't like the fact that the public has no choice over their entry. Even 'Your country needs you' gave us a choice despite the 2nd series being pretty awful.

Anyway enough ranting from me. Molly seems lovely, so she'll be good with the media and everything. I LOVE the song, I doubt it's a winner, but it's definitely a step towards what we need to be doing to be successful and maybe win it again someday. One thing I will say though, is in the interview with Scott Mills she looked so much younger than she does on stage in that video, so I just hope that they don't do the make up in the same way and make her look older again.

This song is better than I expected. Not that song quality ever really matters in Eurovision :p

Who cares about whether we win Eurovision or not?! Apparently Britain is the only European country who doesn't take the song contest seriously.

Anyway, I'll still watch it, just to take the pith out of t'other countries!

I actually really like Azerbaijan's entry this year despite the lyrics being a bit hard to understand.

http://youtu.be/ipQswujA5gw

(Apparently Armenia are tipped to win but I found the song/singer totally insufferable despite its good intentions!)

Someone told me that if the UK wins the contest will be held here in Cardiff....that would be...er, interesting :/ Although I have also heard it's REALLY hard to get tickets.

I don't understand the hype for Armenia's entry, the majority of it is just bland and boring til the wub wubs kick in during the last third. Evening then it still seems distinctly average to me.

The other above us at present is Sweden, not too bad of a song in all honesty but still one that I don't get the massive hype around it. Our odds for winning have shortened massively in the past few days, dropping from around 17/1 last week to 7/1 (some at 6/1) since the first rehearsals. Mollie got a standing ovation in the press area, something that apparently hadn't been seen for previous acts!

I do think we've got a stonking chance this year, a top 5 finish at the very very least. A win would be nice though, as a tenner bet at 20/1 would bring me a nice return ;).

For those interested, the semi final is tonight at 8pm on BBC Three, and there'll no doubt be the traditional Eurovision Chat ongoing if anyone is around :).

Tom.B said:
Ok, so when actually is the final?

The first semi final is tonight at 8pm, there's the second semi at 8pm on Thursday and the final is at 8pm this coming Saturday :)

For tonight yes, Thursday possibly (I'll be at work) and Saturday I'm out at a Eurovision Party so up to you lot :p

We have a running order.

Eurovision 2014 Running Order

Eurovision.tv said:
1. Ukraine
2. Belarus
3. Azerbaijan
4. Iceland
5. Norway
6. Romania
7. Armenia
8. Montenegro
9. Poland
10. Greece
11. Austria
12. Germany
13. Sweden
14. France
15. Russia
16. Italy
17. Slovenia
18. Finland
19. Spain
20. Switzerland
21. Hungary
22. Malta
23. Denmark
24. Netherlands
25. San Marino
26. United Kingdom

Not too happy that we're last in the running order, but rehearsals seem to be going well (our act, Molly, got a standing ovation during rehearsals earlier in the week, which doesn't happen very often), and the staging for us looks quite good. Here's to hoping that we do well.

Jonathan said:
We have a running order.

Eurovision 2014 Running Order

Eurovision.tv said:
1. Ukraine
2. Belarus
3. Azerbaijan
4. Iceland
5. Norway
6. Romania
7. Armenia
8. Montenegro
9. Poland
10. Greece
11. Austria
12. Germany
13. Sweden
14. France
15. Russia
16. Italy
17. Slovenia
18. Finland
19. Spain
20. Switzerland
21. Hungary
22. Malta
23. Denmark
24. Netherlands
25. San Marino
26. United Kingdom

Not too happy that we're last in the running order, but rehearsals seem to be going well (our act, Molly, got a standing ovation during rehearsals earlier in the week, which doesn't happen very often), and the staging for us looks quite good. Here's to hoping that we do well.

I wouldn't hold your breath on us doing well. Every year that we happen to have a half decent act (to Eurovision standards) we still don't do any good. There are clearly countries that always vote for each other and we've not been in any such large group of 'friendly' countries for over a decade (or around that). I'm mostly writing this as I wouldn't want people to stick any big bets on us at the present time. Saturday night and Sunday morning will see all the usual moaning in publications about the votes being given to each other by countries for political reasons instead of musical talent, as is always the case these days. I hope I'm proved wrong, but I doubt it.

This is probably the most optimistic I've been for us in recent years by the song actually not being that bad, one of which could get the "young vote" rather than the past two years! The last placement might make us more memorable, yet I'd still not pip us for winning as our entry is neither extremely catchy/flash nor quirky to get either of those votes - and c'mon, we're British.

There's nothing like a good ol' return to Towers Street during Exam Season for Eurovision night. :p

Thought I'd also do a random sweepstake since we used to do them, and I got four. Iceland, struggling to remember whether a country in the first 5 acts are hardly remembered let alone as winners!

We'll never win, I'm sure most of us know that - Eurovision is based more on politics now. :p

Us being last though sets us having a good chance of hitting nearing the top of the board. Maybe I'm being a little optimistic although I think we could be in high chances of being in (or nearing) the top 5.

Well, I've got an each-way on us winning/reaching the top four, so if we don't do well, I'll be disappointed. :p

I'm going to be very interested to see whether Russia and Ukraine give each other points this year, though, given the volatile situation in that area of the continent.

There's no such thing as 'we'll never win'. Yes certain countries tend to always give each other a high number of points but if you look at the last few years, the winning songs have generally actually been the best ones.

Everyone in Britain has written off the contest as pointless because 'nobody likes us' whereas if you look at what we've sent since Gemini and the famous 'nul points' they've all finished just about where they deserved.

At least this time we have a decent song with catchy lyrics, someone who can sing and a song that has genuinely been well received across Europe!