• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Extrordinary Golf: What Should Happen?

What should happen to the golf?

• Older holes being replaced with newer ones.

Votes: 55 54.5%
  • Extend it more into the car park.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Just a spruce up.

Votes: 38 37.6%

• Total voters
The state of it in the top photo... Embarrassing that they let it get that grubby in the first place!

Probably left it like that, as that is what the actual farm looked like in its final years!

Will be interesting to see what they do. I was there on Saturday and the first couple of holes are having major work, but it seems they are just replacing what was there before with the same. On Saturday they were replacing all the wood and painting it.

However the first holes are Rapids so there would be no reason to change the actual design of them.

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but having played Extraordinary Golf for the first time in quite a few seasons, I was pretty shocked to see the state of disrepair it’s currently in. Ignoring the fact that half of the holes are now totally out of date in terms of their themeing to park attractions, the state of the course is nothing short of shameful.

Here are just a few examples of the current issues:

- The wood all around the Katanga Canyon holes is either starting to or has already completely rotted away.

- The painting on the timber handrails on the bridges crossing the numerous “streams” is all peeling away. The same timber is rotting in many places.

- I included “streams” in inverted commas because they clearly have not run for years. They’re now just cesspits of murky puddles, strewn with weeds.

- There are in fact weeds absolutely everywhere. Not just in the landscaping but growing up through the sides of the holes themselves.

- The paths need a good pressure wash.

- There are gaping holes in many different parts of themeing, for example the traffic cones on the Driving School hole, Fuel’s tombstones and the hen’s eye on the Old MacDonald’s Farm Chicken Run hole.

- The pig sty opening on the Old MacDonald’s Farm Windmill hole is totally broken. The ball does not go through, but just lodges at a broken lip. The opening is in pieces and has long since fallen apart.

- The information boards at the start of each hole are in a state of total disrepair- they’re both falling to pieces (the timber surrounds are either hanging off or totally gone) and the diagrams are barely visible since they’re now so old and faded.

- The playing surface where you’re supposed to tee off are so badly worn that there are huge divots on every hole. They badly need replacing, but of course haven’t been.

- Every hole was covered in leaves, dirt and detritus. I appreciate it’s a difficult time of year to keep leaves off the course, but not bothering to clean it at all is not okay.

I’m truly astonished that the management and Merlin believe this is an acceptable standard to maintain an attraction in. It is an absolutely appalling reflection on the resort - they weren’t even able to supply a pencil for your scorecard.

Aren’t half the holes closed off for maintenance at the moment? They closed them off during the busiest few weeks of the season, so I guess even they have acknowledged how bad a state it’s in.

I guess they will be working on the other 9 holes at some point over the winter season.

I went early September and concur with the above
Absolutely disgusting - and to think your paying a premium for this.

Is it eve busy though? I’ve never really seen anyone on it. When we last played there was literally us and two other couples

s it eve busy though? I’ve never really seen anyone on it. When we last played there was literally us and two other couples

I think this is the issue. It was a great attraction when it opened but never really got the crowds. Low attendance led to price cuts and nine holes being included with hotel stays so it makes even less money and that means less incentive to spend money on it.

many other adventure golf courses are busy even at £10 per adult. With the right opening hours extraordinary golf should make a decent income but I think the park don’t see the value in trying to maintain it to the right standard.

It needs a complete overhaul with updated holes (themed as newer attractions). I always assumed/hoped that holes would be updated individually throughout the years to keep it fresh and continue to draw people in. It was in a state in 2012 so I wouldn't even want to imagine what it looks like now.

I don't think the location of the course has ever particularly helped. It's out of the way (even if you're staying in the hotels) and there is nothing around the area. It would suit better in a different location, or formed as a part of a shopping/food/entertainment district.

Looking at the current holes
Holes based on areas/rides that have since been removed
Old McDonald's Chicken Run
Old McDonald's Windmill
Ug Land
Ripsaw
The Flume
Tea Cups (sort of)

Newer rides they could theme holes to
Mutiny Bay/Battle Galleons
Th13teen
The Smiler