• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fantasy Island, Skegness, England

Scott.Smith

TS Member
I have been to Fantasy Island recently and i have came back with the opinion it is a really underestimated park and does have some quality rides, however the price's are a bit hefty £20 a all day wristband, but then again what isn't expensive these days.

Having knowing some of you guys have visited whats your view on Fantasy Island
and how could you improe the park to make it as popular as places like Drayton Manor and BPB

fantasy-millenium2_1442889i.jpg

The Millenium Rollercoaster is a turbulent, high speed ride, sending you all around Fantasy Island..

skegness32.jpg

Hold on tight as you soar through the sky at amazing heights, through a whirlwind of inversions at great speeds.

skegness70.jpg

Get ready to feel the ultimate rush and experience for yourself the full force of a 'Volcanic Eruption'

Fantasy_Island_18.JPG

The Beast is an exciting, stomach churning experience! Spinning and twisting in every direction imaginable..

skegness03.jpg

Arriving at Fantasy Island in 2000, the Fantasy Mouse is one of five roller coasters at the park and has been entertaining guests from day one!

ac1.jpg

The first and only 'Ultra Max' ride at fantasy island!

NEW059.jpg

Get ready for the bounce of your life. This ride is incredible fun as each car bounces up and down...

rollercoaster-fantasy-rocket-big.jpg

Join Captain Rhombus on his rocket powered train...

13324158992.jpg

The fun of the fair, combined with the magic of a theme park...

0.jpg

The Dodgems, an all time favourite for many fairground and theme park fans...

Unique-FantasyBalloon.jpg

Do you fancy experiencing the relaxing feel and sights of a hot air balloon?

waterrides-fantasy-tub.jpg

Set sail with Captain Rhombus through his magical Seaquarium. Marvel at his colourful collection of 'specimens strange and new'..

fantasy_island_-_fantasy_log_flume.jpg

Ready to take the plunge? Well first you’ll have to take a twisty journey to the climb of suspense, followed by a thrilling descent to the waters below.…

normal_dragon3.JPG

Dare you brave Dragon Mountain? Climb the rocky landscape and cross the lagoon on a perilous rope bridge...

Fantasy_Island_23.JPG

Roll up amigos! Journey with parrot and toucan, your guides to a lost island temple..

When I went last Sunday I was really impressed, the inside of the pyramid seemed really clean and fresh, it all looked quite new. :)

All the ride hosts were cheerful and interacted with the guests. (Apart from one of the dodgem operator, he looked miserable). And there was a relaxed atmosphere in the park, because it was almost dead apart from the market.

All the rides were up and working throughout the day and I spent more time sitting on the rides waiting for more guests to get on then I actually queued for them.

For further reference, Jubilee Odyssey is not spelt Jubilee Odysse. :)

Yeah i went last sunday as well guy operating volcano was awsome, dodgem operator just moaned if you had any fun crashes with anyone which is typical and sorry i'll change it

Thats Ok. :)

I also found that the operator on Volcano was particularly nice and talkative, so were the operators for Millennium Coaster.

One thing I forgot to mention is that Fantasy Mouse is awful. Is starts off alright and fun and not to rough. But when it starts turning it's horrid. It's then rough, spins to much and is uncomfortable, and the mini airtime hill comes at a time when you are vulnerable and is a horrible element to go through. Surprised by the amount of young kids I saw go on it.

RyanYoxall said:
One thing I forgot to mention is that Fantasy Mouse is awful. Is starts off alright and fun and not to rough. But when it starts turning it's horrid. It's then rough, spins to much and is uncomfortable, and the mini airtime hill comes at a time when you are vulnerable and is a horrible element to go through. Surprised by the amount of young kids I saw go on it.

I am suprised how many models they are of that particular ride scattered around the globe because it is a terrible ride it spins faster than the waltzer at some points that's why i don't want alton to remove spinball as that is ever so smooth and enjoyable to ride compared to THAT

I was also really disapointed that Dragon Mountain wasn't open as that is a really well themed ride and i think Alton Towers should invest for something similar as dinghy rides are so fun if they are designed correctly

Poll removed from the topic :).

Scott.Smith it has been noted that every new topic you've created (which I've PM'ed you about, and Ben has spoken to you about), has a poll in it. You don't need to make people cast votes in order to create discussion!

Fantasy Island can exist without you having to choose your favourite attraction ;).

I visited for the first time two years ago and I have to say I had a great time!

The park is home to some awesome rides, with Jubilee Odyssey, Millenium Coaster and The Beast well worth the price of a wristband (I certainly got my money's worth, and queues were relatively small despite the place being packed), and I could have easily stayed for a few more hours had I not taken the short trip down the road to Bottons on the evening.

Unfortunately the park's open access plan does result in gangs of unpleasant youths loitering about, and the market stalls selling knock-off perfumes and aftershaves that are crammed into every nook and cranny does make the place look rather untidy and a bit of a nightmare to get around.

However, if you can overlook these issues then I'm sure you'll have just as much fun as I did. If you get the chance then I'd definitely urge you to visit!

I have a love, hate feel towards Fantasy Island. The place has massive potential, I just wish the management would use it. It is a yearly visit without fail on my calendar though.

They've made some good moves the past few seasons with the introduction of wristbands and ride reliability is much better nowadays. It's frustrating that the place is themed so well on the inside then on the outside it's a rides on tarmac policy. They are very limited for space but nothing new of major significance has been added since the 2004 / 2005 timescale. I was gutted to find the giant Fabbri Booster missing in 2004, the S&S Skysling there was 'meh' but still a unique ride, shame it was removed. The market used to be fairly good quality, now it's home to many questionable sellers.

On the plus, best Topscan ever! The ops really know how to throw you around on it and Odyssey, whilst it has its moments, is still a bloomin good ride. It is certainly a unique place, both positive and negative things going for it IMO.

There is absolutely no doubt that The Beast really is one of the best topscans around - I once had an amazingly long ride cycle on it and was dizzy when I got off!

My family and I have visited the East Coast every year since I was a nipper, though my earliest memories of Fantasy Island are from the Millennium Coaster era onwards (odd, but my memory is odd!). I remember seeing Odyssey being built (think I still have the pictures?) and being absolutely amazed! Shame really, that when I rode it I came off more dazed than amazed - ouch!! Painful stuff.

I put some images on RCDB a few years ago of Millennium Coaster and Jubilee Odyssey which were taken from the Giant Wheel that was at the park for a year or so - what a mangled mess of track they really are!

The market is nothing but a spectacle for me. A spectacle at how much tat is actually on sale ;).

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I remember going to fantasy island when it was pretty new, it was mainly all about the inside section, with there only being one or two rides outside (log flume and that little rocket coaster I remember). It was billed as a year round theme park. But of coure they had no room to build inside so they just stood stuff outside on top of the carparks. It was (and still is inside) a very well themed theme park, but the later rides arnt.

I went two years ago and alot of it felt run down and the market was just horrible, im surprised trading standards have never been, they could pretty much close every stall down for some kind of copyright laws.

Whenever I visit, Millenium and Jubillee Odysey are always closed.

Saying that, going off Fantasy Island's website, the market sure sounds enticing if they're not operating... :D

"Gifts & toys is quite a unique category for our market holding a vast range for any occasion or individual. You can find items ranging from bb guns to household ornaments and even fudge that looks like a pint of Guiness" - http://fantasyisland.co.uk/market/gifts-toys

The two rollercoasters are almost never shut now the all day wristbands the tokens made odyssey and millenium feel like they didn't belong to the park because you had to pay for them with something else (can't remember clearly) and they was very EXPENSIVE which meant that the park would make more profit closing them unless it was a really busy day

Jubilee Odyssey and Millennium Coaster are paid for by tokens, which I'm sure were either £5 or £6?

Odyssey is closed A LOT, usually down to wind, and it's been closed on my last three visits (granted the last time I went, I could barely stand up because the wind was so strong!). Odyssey had an amazing ability to stall in its opening season, and elements were lowered in 2003/2004, and yet it would appear the coaster still struggles to make a complete circuit during times of high winds. This video was shot in 2006 - well after the modifications, and this article was written in 2009...!

Interestingly, the FI website now refers to Jubilee Odyssey as 'The Odyssey' - I will remove 'The' as a matter of course - does this mean they've dropped the ode to the Queen's Golden Jubilee of which its opening marked?

I think I'll have to get down there before the end of their season to check out the branding, too, see if they've removed 'Kit-Kat' - it was commonly known as The KitKat Coaster amongst locals!

This page has a cracking stall video right at the bottom! June 2002, and the problems never ended ;).

I really, really, really want to finally get to this park this year.

I'm just worried I'll go and one of the two main coasters will be shut. Is there any strategy to timing this, or is it just a complete gamble?

Go at Peak Times and they will always be open (Both of them), I think they have changed the odyssey's carriage that helps it get around the track in windy weather
And yes the Kit Kat sponsorship has also gone, also they are constucting a new ride in the indoor part which will hopefully be worthwile

Sam said:
I really, really, really want to finally get to this park this year.

I'm just worried I'll go and one of the two main coasters will be shut. Is there any strategy to timing this, or is it just a complete gamble?

It's a bit of a combination of the two Sam. Scott.Smith is totally right about heading there at peak times, you'll never queue for the rides even at peak times, but the chances of finding everything open are much higher. Good weather is the key too, if you can find a slot of good weather (the lower the wind speed the better) sometime in August, that'll be your best chance. ;D