• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Favorite video games..

The original vector graphic arcade Tempest.
Blistering speed and graphics.
Took all my money in late youth.
The arcade being in the middle of Soho may have contributed, but still probably my favourite game of all time.
Console versions just aren't the same.

I've been hooked on The Witcher 3 lately. It's got an incredible open world and a gripping story. And if you're into city-building games like Cities Skylines 2, you might want to check out Surviving Mars. It's a bit different but really addictive!

I kind of fell out with gaming when the games moved on from mainly using the directional 4 way buttons thing to the toggly stick things with more movement. Never really got on with the new freedom of movement (or couldn't be bothered). It sort of came at a time when studying was taking up pretty much all of my time, too. Previous to this I was pretty good at FIFA (footy) and me and my mates would all chill and play it (previous to that it was ISS and Pro Evo). After coming out of the other end of studies I became more reclusive and hadn't played the last few versions of the game and it - and the people who played it - had left me behind. I just didn't have the enthusiasm anymore to try to get good again. Previous to FIFA there were loads of fave games etc over the years. The original Monkey Island, the Mario games, Zelda, Sim City, Theme Park, Gran Turismo, Tony Hawks. I've tried a few in recent years (like Forza Horizon) but I just don't think they do it for me any more. I think I've changed a lot though and I do a lot of Ebaying and a bit of Youtube and days out etc and I think I'd feel like I was neglecting the other things if I really started getting into a game again. Well, yeah, thanks for listening to my waffle. Used to love Sim City I did.

Edit - How could I forget. The love of my life. Football manager. I can't play it because it takes over my life. I've wasted so many years. Can't wait to retire (if I reach such an age) so I can play it every day until I die.

Last edited:
I also struggled to transition from D-pads to analogue sticks. During the 5th gen, you still had the option and could play every console game with the D-pad and I remember thinking wrongly at the time that these new fangled controllers were just a gimmick. That option was taken away in the 6th gen. My kids are the opposite and sacrilegiously play games like the original Sonic's, Mortal Kombat and Streets of Rage using analogue! I don't know how they do it.

2 games got me used to analogues. Goldeneye on the N64, and Nights into Dreams (some of my favourite ever games) with the Saturn '3d pad'.

ISS pro was an excellent game. Back then, the ISS series was the gold standard of football games and the FIFA series was rubbish, it just had all the licenses. FIFA 96 and 97 were particularly bad.

Yeah, and something weird happened as Pro Evo sort of took the baton from ISS (or it was the same maker or something) and then at some point Pro Evo had a bad version and FIFA must have got good around the same time and myself and a large proportion of people transitioned to FIFA. That period is a bit hazy to be honest :sweatsmile:

Great idea for a thread.

In no particular order:

Zelda

I love most Zelda games but Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild are personal favourites, I've finally gotten round to starting Tears of the Kingdom recently.

Tomb Raider

The first few games were exceptional with Tomb Raider 3 being my personal favourite, I'm looking forward to the remaster which is due out in February.

Final Fantasy

The first one I ever played was FF8 which I absolutely loved, FF7 and 9 are also great as is the remaster of FF7, I'm looking forward to the next instalment of the FF7 remake which is due out in, I think, February.

Mario 64

Last edited:
Yeah, and something weird happened as Pro Evo sort of took the baton from ISS (or it was the same maker or something) and then at some point Pro Evo had a bad version and FIFA must have got good around the same time and myself and a large proportion of people transitioned to FIFA. That period is a bit hazy to be honest :sweatsmile:
Yeah, I started destroying my brain cells with alcohol around about that time period too mate. Late 90's, what a time to be alive! But you're not wrong, PES was the successor to the ISS series. EA realised that their well presented, premium licensed FIFA series was actually crap to play. Casual sport fans bought the games because they had polygonal depictions of their favourite teams and kits in them. But the real gamers played the mechanically far superior ISS and PES games.

Sega Sports were also releasing more playable sport games around this time and a lot of the EA Sports stuff was just garbage relying on being well presented titles with pop music playing in the menu screens and celebrity endorsements on the cover. Who remembers the promos promising "realistic" wire frame originated movements with Dennis Bergkamp and David Beckham modelling, John Motson recording awkward commentary dialogue and the "Virtual Stadium Technology"?

Of course, EA still do this nonsense, but the games they make are now actually decent. ISS had impressive through ball, volleying and crossing mechanics that the FIFA series seemed to basically just copy when they realised that in their games you were just running around controlling a triangular rag doll mashing buttons randomly. I suppose Konami just couldn't keep up with all the flash licenses and celebrity endorsements that EA had in their arsenal (no pun intended) once their homework had been copied.

Yeah, I started destroying my brain cells with alcohol around about that time period too mate. Late 90's, what a time to be alive! But you're not wrong, PES was the successor to the ISS series. EA realised that their well presented, premium licensed FIFA series was actually crap to play. Casual sport fans bought the games because they had polygonal depictions of their favourite teams and kits in them. But the real gamers played the mechanically far superior ISS and PES games.

Sega Sports were also releasing more playable sport games around this time and a lot of the EA Sports stuff was just garbage relying on being well presented titles with pop music playing in the menu screens and celebrity endorsements on the cover. Who remembers the promos promising "realistic" wire frame originated movements with Dennis Bergkamp and David Beckham modelling, John Motson recording awkward commentary dialogue and the "Virtual Stadium Technology"?

Of course, EA still do this nonsense, but the games they make are now actually decent. ISS had impressive through ball, volleying and crossing mechanics that the FIFA series seemed to basically just copy when they realised that in their games you were just running around controlling a triangular rag doll mashing buttons randomly. I suppose Konami just couldn't keep up with all the flash licenses and celebrity endorsements that EA had in their arsenal (no pun intended) once their homework had been copied.
Yes, that all tallies up with how I remember it. And yes, the late 90s was a great time to be alive. The last of the great decades (60s-90s). And thanks Josh, I enjoyed the first Tomb Raider, in Venice. Thanks for reminding me!

It's happening, baby. GTA VI—the biggest trailer drop of the last decade in gaming—is almost upon us.

Treasure these moments. The Rockstar Games hype trains do not come very often, but when they do, they are always massive.

1000017815.jpg

Last edited:
I only really play FM and Cities Skylines these days. Really loved RDR2 and Control a few years back though. And Disco Elysium is one of my most favourite things ever.

I recently impulse-purchased an Xbox Series X (was originally thinking of getting a Nintendo Switch but after a bit of research watching loads of YouTube videos decided that the Xbox was better suited to me) and got hold of Game Pass. Having never really been into games since I had a Nintendo DS and Wii as a kid, I’m loving the freedom of just being able to download loads of games for a relatively nominal fee each month instead of splashing out £50-70 on a single game to find out I don’t like it!

Anyway, I’ve been mostly playing Forza Horizon 5 which I’m really enjoying! Some beautiful scenery and always lots to do in whichever order you like, from races to stories or even just driving around causing havoc without having to worry about damage to your car (it magically repairs itself whenever you start a new challenge or if you want to swap it out) or about refuelling.

Say what you want but I also still love playing Fortnite which I did quite a lot on PC during the pandemic. It’s just good fun, with a bright and happy colour scheme and style, even if you are probably playing against 8 year olds!

Would love some recommendations for games - the Texas Chainsaw one sounds interesting and have added it to my Play Later list. :)

Forza Horizon 5 is great, as is game pass.

Here are the games coming to game pass this December, announced the other day...

1701543804736.png

Strong line-up for Christmas, the best thing about game pass along side the triple A games, is finding really enjoyable random games I would never consider purchasing. It is by far the best service in this model, no one comes close to offering such a variety of games as Microsoft have been able to offer.

Sony aren't anywhere near Microsoft in terms of game pass. It really is an excellent deal. My son has it on his Series X, yet the little sod still takes over my PS5 when there's a Playstation exclusive he wants to play. I already sacrificed my Xbox One to him and had to buy myself a PS4 instead, bought my PS5 and my boys complete all of my games before I do! That's parental sacrifices for you.

The Game Pass is what sold it to me actually. I understand Playstation has an equivalent(?) but seemed nowhere near as good as Game Pass.

The Game Pass is what sold it to me actually. I understand Playstation has an equivalent(?) but seemed nowhere near as good as Game Pass.

Yeah PS have an equivalent. It has always played catchup to Gamepass though. Gamepass was the market leader.

Seeing as the weather is rubbish here, I'm going to start up my virtual aircraft and fly around the the tropical Hawian islands in Microsoft Flight Simulator tonight....another Gamepass belter. Amazing for the technical achievement just as much as the graphics and shear scope (the whole planet) in rich detail.

On the topic of game pass, I thought Jusant was incredible. It was released late October and is a game where your character must climb up a rock face to uncover the past of the people who lived there. The game isn’t too long or difficult to beat so I would definitely recommend if you are looking for something to play.

Seeing as the weather is rubbish here, I'm going to start up my virtual aircraft and fly around the the tropical Hawian islands in Microsoft Flight Simulator tonight....another Gamepass belter. Amazing for the technical achievement just as much as the graphics and shear scope (the whole planet) in rich detail.
I started playing this but found the tutorials really difficult then the game itself to be incredibly dull once you're up in the air. Maybe it's just not for me!