• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Favorite video games..

My favourite is probably sonic mania. Just play it it’s fun. A few others would be planet coaster, terraria and undertale.

Really want to get around to playing metal gear rising, because, well, you know

I started playing this but found the tutorials really difficult then the game itself to be incredibly dull once you're up in the air. Maybe it's just not for me!

Yeah, it is more of an accurate representation of real flying rather than a game with flying in it. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure.

That said, it does have gameplay elements with the landing challenges, but it is very much a simulator rather than a game that calls itself a simulator, which a fair amount of 'simulators' have adopted these days.

If anyone loves the Assasins Creed games. Ubisoft are giving away Syndicate right now free to keep forever. As far as I know, it's PC only. Head over to the Ubisoft Connect app to claim.

This month will be one to watch on the Epic Games PC store too. Throughout the last few years, I've built a huge library of fairly decent known titles thanks to Epics weekly free giveaway. The month of December always gives away a really good selection, especially as we get closer to Christmas.

The best from last December which we got for free to keep forever, was the complete Tomb Raider collection bundle, from the first game right up to the latest, Control and Grand Theft Auto V....not bad for free at all. They give a new rotation of games away every single week of the year. December is ALWAYS the best however.

Last edited:
6E02E85D-8AC2-4AAC-9AD0-D20BF4281C39.jpeg
Shame I can’t afford it

I'm really digging this Bonnie and Clyde feel to the game. Being Rockstar, you just know the story and characters are going to be deep, fleshed out and amazing.

It is also worth mentioning. That whole trailer is recorded in game. No CGI here.

Last edited:
Sony aren't anywhere near Microsoft in terms of game pass. It really is an excellent deal. My son has it on his Series X, yet the little sod still takes over my PS5 when there's a Playstation exclusive he wants to play. I already sacrificed my Xbox One to him and had to buy myself a PS4 instead, bought my PS5 and my boys complete all of my games before I do! That's parental sacrifices for you.

That’s probably getting ten times worse in February when the next FF7 game comes out!

Can't wait for GTA VI. Probably the most highly anticipated game in history.

I'm not a huge gamer, mostly Rollercoaster Tycoon/The Sims was my thing in my teen years. I would like to get into The Sims again but can't be arsed with the million expansions you usually need to make it worthwhile (may as well wait for The Sims 5). I play a lot of New World these days, an open world MMO similar to World of Warcraft (although I prefer New World over Warcraft). Other than that I occasionally play various Pokemon games (playing Shield at the moment), GTA V and Fall Guys. I've recently played the newest Crash Bandicoot and the remastered classics (as well as the remastered Spyro classics).

I play on PC/PS4/Nintendo Switch, I'm holding off purchasing a PS5 at the moment as I don't really need one and may as well wait until next year when GTA VI gets nearer.

GTA VI is without a doubt my most anticipated game, as was GTA V. Amazing what Rockstar manages to achieve. The rumoured 1 to 2 billion-dollar development cost will no doubt be made back in a day or two upon release. It took GTA V just 3 days to make 1 billion dollars in sales on the back of a 200 million-dollar development cost. This was back when GTA V was still an absolute massive behemoth, the biggest in the industry, but nothing compared to what it is now.

The hype engine will go into full swing in about a year, maybe, when they start creating the fake, but online websites that sell the locations, things to do, and in-game brands as if they were all real and we are about to go visit the place in real life. This is one of my favourite things in the run-up to new GTA games, they do it so well. All to sell the illusion it is a real place. These games are far beyond just a crime simulator now, they are truly magnificent works of art.

The game is not even out yet, and it is already breaking records. In just over 24 hours, it became the most watched video in the shortest space of time in the history of Youtube. 118 million views as of now. This also beats the 100 million views the first GTA V trailer got up until this point over 12 years. Amazing.

I'll more than likely buy the PS5 Pro when it no doubt arrives next year, ready for GTA VI.

Frontier Developments also recently announced they are re focusing on creative management games once again and have three planned. So it would not surprise me if we see Plant Coaster 2 announced at some point next year. I am sure that will be the first to get a sequel, Planet Zoo will probably get a sequel too, along with a brand new Planet IP. Those are my predictions.

Last edited:
I’ve heard pretty solid rumours, some news sites are talking even, about how it may be sold at $150, so that’s about maybe £115? Sure it’s cheaper than a billion but damn!

I’ve heard pretty solid rumours, some news sites are talking even, about how it may be sold at $150, so that’s about maybe £115? Sure it’s cheaper than a billion but damn!

The thing is, I'll pay it, no questions. Rockstar have a proven track record to deliver the goods. I still play GTA V now 10 years later. I've purchased that game 3 times too! They have got me by the danglies and I don't even care...🤣. Money well spent as I've had so, so much fun with it.

Last edited:
The thing is, I'll pay it, no questions. Rockstar have a proven track record to deliver the goods. I still play GTA V now 10 years later. I've purchased that game 3 times too! They have got me by the danglies and I don't even care...🤣. Money well spent as I've had so, so much fun with it.
Rockstar do know what they’re doing, but I’m worried some companies might make that a price they use sometimes, but of course the quality might not be as good. How do we know we won’t be paying £100 for lord of the rings Gollum?

Early adventure, assisted by my good lady in the early days of courtship.
Twin Kingdom Valley on the BBC B.
Forty years ago now, old git.
Then I sat behind her reading the paper as she went through the complete Tomb Raider series, not letting me play Wipeout.

I've just started playing Diablo IV on PC. Really enjoying it actually.

I've been looking at that Baulders Gate 3, these have never been my type of games but I'm enjoying them recently.

The Game Pass is what sold it to me actually. I understand Playstation has an equivalent(?) but seemed nowhere near as good as Game Pass.
The success of Game Pass though is worrying for the industry as a whole, and the consumer.

First off you don't own these games, once you stop paying your subscription they're gone. Once the license expires for Microsoft, and they don't renew it, you won't be able to access it either (we've had a couple of titles this has happened to over on PlayStation Plus). This is similar to the dangers of buying digital copies of games though, and not physical versions.

The second major issue is that games are expensive to make. Triple A titles are extortionate to make. Developers have to make their money back somehow, which is why you see in-game purchases / pay to play increasingly appearing in titles you wouldn't expect. At the moment Microsoft is happy to splash the cash and pay over the odds for the licence to include games in Game Pass, but once they've got a stranglehold in the market and the majority of consumers are signed up, they'll turn off the taps. Gamers will have become used to getting new games in exchange for paying Microsoft a monthly subscription fee, that they won't be inclined to purchase titles outright at full price. Developers will then start seeking to cut costs, either by scaling back their game plans (so no more triple A titles), or including more in-app pay to play elements to recoup some of their investment. Others will drop out of the space entirely. The purchase of massive studios by Microsoft will stem the tide for a while, they'll churn out triple A titles for a bit and include them in Game Pass to keep people excited, but eventually they won't even need to do this, they'll have you hooked. You'll also realise that no one else, aside from the studios owned by the console manufacturers, is producing triple A titles anymore and then... well the creative well might have dried up.

It's a little similar to the music industry, with streaming services and trickle down revenue, which means that independent artists or upcoming ones can't really make a living out of it. Gaming has more gatekeepers already though. Anyone can record a song, put it up on Spotify and maybe earn a few pennies from royalties. If you want your game on Xbox, PlayStation or Switch however, you better be paying Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo for those license fees and access to their customer base.

On the face of it, it's a really good deal for the consumer. This is entirely about platform lock-in though and keeping you loyal.

Last edited:
The success of Game Pass though is worrying for the industry as a whole, and the consumer.

First off you don't own these games, once you stop paying your subscription they're gone. Once the license expires for Microsoft, and they don't renew it, you won't be able to access it either (we've had a couple of titles this has happened to over on PlayStation Plus). This is similar to the dangers of buying digital copies of games though, and not physical versions.

The second major issue is that games are expensive to make. Triple A titles are extortionate to make. Developers have to make their money back somehow, which is why you see in-game purchases / pay to play increasingly appearing in titles you wouldn't expect. At the moment Microsoft is happy to splash the cash and pay over the odds for the licence to include games in Game Pass, but once they've got a stranglehold in the market and the majority of consumers are signed up, they'll turn off the taps. Gamers will have become used to getting new games in exchange for paying Microsoft a monthly subscription fee, that they won't be inclined to purchase titles outright at full price. Developers will then start seeking to cut costs, either by scaling back their game plans (so no more triple A titles), or including more in-app pay to play elements to recoup some of their investment. Others will drop out of the space entirely. The purchase of massive studios by Microsoft will stem the tide for a while, they'll churn out triple A titles for a bit and include them in Game Pass to keep people excited, but eventually they won't even need to do this, they'll have you hooked. You'll also realise that no one else, aside from the studios owned by the console manufacturers, is producing triple A titles anymore and then... well the creative well might have dried up.

It's a little similar to the music industry, with streaming services and trickle down revenue, which means that independent artists or upcoming ones can't really make a living out of it. Gaming has more gatekeepers already though. Anyone can record a song, put it up on Spotify and maybe earn a few pennies from royalties. If you want your game on Xbox, PlayStation or Switch however, you better be paying Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo for those license fees and access to their customer base.

On the face of it, it's a really good deal for the consumer. This is entirely about platform lock-in though and keeping you loyal.

I agree somewhat with this.

Game Pass makes no secret of the fact you are signing up to a game subscription service where you do not own games, but you rent them so to speak and they can and do rotate on an ongoing basis.

What you are describing to me, sounds more like the business model of a conventional digital store front such as Steam, Epic Games Store or PS Store. Games you have purchased outright can and do sometimes vanish on these. This is a very different kettle of fish from renting a huge library of games as is the case with Game Pass.

What Game Pass has done though, which is spoken about very little, is the fact that it has revolutionised the way studios can and do deliver games. It has brought more success and more profit (by a massive metric) to those smaller and perhaps indie studios that would never have seen such success if they were not allowed the gigantic exposure of being on such a huge platform service. This alone is a great thing, many developers have vocally voiced this. This is re distributing the way games can be made, games can be made more risky and less similar by moving away from tried and tested practises that have been the normal for decades to ensure sales, because the game will be played a lot. Period. For being on a service such as Game Pass. This then benefits other platforms over time too.

It is a breath of fresh air in a stagnated industry and Game Pass is genuinely pushing innovation. A huge part of the financial risk has been removed from the developer when publishing on Game Pass. The almost identical Call Of Duty's, FIFA's year on year are great examples of this stagnation and the need to keep things very very similar year on year, while charging high prices. Not to mention the huge anger and annoyance of established IP's such a Battlefield trying to re invent (and completely failing) to change their tried and tested gameplay format to jump on what is currently hot, in this case it was battle royal games. Two sides of the same coin there, but huge issues facing the industry as a whole right now. The model of Game Pass so far has proven to work really well, not only for gamers, but for developers too.

I do not think the comparisons to the music industry is fair, because Spotify has not mitigated risk for artists or allowed innovation, Game Pass has. It is not all doom and gloom, it is a great thing for the industry.

As for them being able to take your game away when they want, they could do that 20 years ago, with disk based games, when they all moved to a format that forces you to use online digital rights management, regardless of how you purchased the game. Something ALL disk based games do now on ALL platforms, you still don't own the game and it can be taken away from you just as easily if they either decide to shut down servers, (as games move to be heavily integrated with online) essentially making your game unplayable, something which is happening. Or, by removing the DRM management that your disk based game has to communicate with online for you to able to play your game/.

Last edited:
I've been looking at that Baulders Gate 3, these have never been my type of games but I'm enjoying them recently.
From what I've heard you should really give it a try. It seems very lovingly crafted, I would've given it a shot if it weren't for all the backlog of games I currently have! (It would help if I stop playing MMOs..)

I don't often play games these days, as I have very specific tastes, which are usually narrative driven, story/character based games.
Back to PS1 days, my favourites were Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Dino Crisis.
The PS2 era, I spent playing Silent Hill 2, and Harry Potter; Philosopher's Stone (PS1), Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban (PS2). (Also loved Hogwarts Legacy).
Enter PS3 and I slept on Uncharted, but my cousin showed me Uncharted 2, and I found my new franchise to obsess over.
Dead Space 1 was a bit too scary for me (even now as a fully grown adult, I struggle with some horror games!), but Dead Space 2 was a perfect mix of horror/action/characters and story. Shame about the third instalment...
At the end of the PS3 generation, we were treated by Naughty Dog to The Last of Us.
It being released at the end of the gen meant that a remaster for PS4 was released a year later, and it has become my favourite gaming IP ever since.
I was super excited when Part 2 was announced in 2016, and when it came out I had managed to avoid the spoilers that were doing the rounds, and I was unaware of what would happen approximately 1 hour into the game. It didn't deter me, however, and as a game and piece of media, I still prefer it to Part 1, it's just such an impressive game.
Alien is my favourite film of all time, and in 2014, Alien: Isolation released, and this was an Alien/Aliens fan's wet dream.
Unfortunately IGN panned it and sales suffered, so Sega never commissioned a sequel.

I also mentioned I liked Dino Crisis, and I'm still annoyed Capcom have not announced a remake as yet, despite fans calling for one, an dthe gaming landscape is really lacking dinosaur survival horror titles. At least AAA ones.
But it seems my prayers have been answered, as a new Jurassic Park survival horror has recently been announced!

So if anyone is on PC, you may know Epic Game Store give a plethora of free games out to keep. One or two a week, or one every day in December.

The one just gone was Marvels Guardians Of The Galaxy. I downloaded it with low expectations, im about halfway through now and throughly enjoying it.

It has turned out to be one of the best single player games I've played this year, very narrative driven, the gameplay is great too. I highly recommend this one to anyone. I'm not even a massive fan on the movies. But the game is great.