• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Favorite video games..

DistortAMG

TS Member
Favourite Ride
POTC Disneyland Paris
I've seen we have the topic for retro games, seems like there are alot of gamers on here. Interested to hear what your favorite modern games are?

For me, anything Rockstar games is usually a good shout, massive fan. Red Dead Redemption 2 was simply a masterpiece. 5 years later, nothing still comes close to the reactive open word, hyper detailed and narrative driven story Rockstar created, a hall mark of their brand. Once again cemented themselves as the leader in a genre of video games that they created 2 decades ago.

Aside from that, I've been giving Cities Skylines 2 a blast, really good if you are into that type of game.

Of course, we finally have the long awaited Grand Theft Auto 6 reveal coming early December, the biggest news in gaming right now. Love or hate Rockstar titles, their games push gaming forward on a technical level like nothing else, this is what they are know for and are widely respected for the fact, (also why their titles take many, many years to produce, 7 years on this new GTA so far). That reason alone is what intrigues me more than anything about this new GTA. Roll on going back to Vice City!!

Cities Skylines is a really good game. Evolved a fair bit from the first one.

Any football fans FM24 is out and adds further realism .... its getting harder each year to take Woking to the Champions League

Outer Wilds and its DLC, Echos Of The Eye. It’s an open world game with a compelling story. I did find the DLC terrifying though lol.

Used to play a bigger variety of games in my teens, but now I basically rotate between FIFA and CoD with the occasional exception.

The current exception is Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Highly recommended it, you can play as a victim or a killer. Victims need to escape the map by unlocking doors and avoiding the killers.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is comfortably the best game of all time for me. I don't care much for games with deep storylines but that was absolutely superb. Could spend hours riding my horse around the mountains and hunting.

Read Dead Redemption 2 is truly exquisite - have to agree about Rockstar... we are eagerly awaiting GTA6! Have played since the birds eye view days 😂

Fallout is one of my favourite game series - I think it peaked at New Vegas which is my most played. That along with Skyrim, Legend of Legaia and RDR2 are my all-time favourites.

We are big Zelda, Assassins Creed, Pokemon and Uncharted fans too!

Red Dead 2 is an absolute masterpiece of a game. It's an incredible technical achievement. I just wish it had a frame rate boost for PS5.

Game of the year so far for me is Resident Evil 4, which ticked all the boxes I would expect from the series current remake track record (the original RE4 is one of the greatest games of all time).

Going back a bit further, two games I bought on release have surprised me. Sonic Frontiers for how surprisingly good it was, coming from a 32 year old franchise that has given us both some of the finest and most downright broken games of all time. Gotham Knights for how surprisingly bad it was.

Last edited:
Some great games mentioned here, I've tried that Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it's on Gamepass for PC. I haven't played much but I've enjoyed it.

Gotham nights for me too was a huge let down. I've recently given it another go as it is on Gamepass, still crap though. In terms of frame rate boost for PS5 & Red Dead 2, it is a shame. I play Red Dead 2 on PC, 60 FPS is a game changer over the default console 30fps. I can only assume all hands are on deck for GTA VI right now. So they will not even dedicate a small amount of time to anything else.

I think GTA VI will take the crown off Red Dead Redemption 2 for it being an amazing technical achievement.

A few things we do know from the leaks last year (leaks that Rockstar confirmed genuine) are these:

• Two playable characters, male and female in a Bonny and Clyde type of setup, who are called Jason and Lucia.
  • Set in modern day Vice City and surrounding country side. With smaller satellite towns and cities..
  • Map seems to be larger than GTA V.
  • There is a massive amount of interior locations, much more than Red Dead Redemption 2.
  • A full team of developers are working full time just on the water physics for GTA VI.
Ahead of the official reveal in a few weeks, here are a couple of early development but 100% genuine screenshots of GTA VI, these are from 2020.

1000017754.png

1000017752.jpg

1000017756.jpg

These are early development screenshots, they are rough around the edges, but they give us a good idea of what to expect.

They show the main characters. I would expect the graphics to be hugely improved from these screenshots, when the game is unveiled in a few weeks time.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 4 is one of my favourites for sure. I think the remake did an excellent job with it too, but I'll stick to talking about the original since I've had a lot more time to reflect on it. If you enjoy horror themes but value gameplay and action over being "scared", it strikes a perfect balance (that isn't to say there aren't any creepy moments.. hello Regenerators) . I could gush about the game for ages but it's a game anyone could bash out over a few weekends if they desired. It's also insanely ported, you can play it on just about anything, it's been ported so many times it almost rivals Skyrim. If you had the liberty of choice though I'd recommend the Wii version, the aiming just feels very good with motion controls.

Another favourite is Undertale, I can't imagine it being everyone's cup of tea but I really recommend giving it a try. I won't spoil the premise, as the value is very tied up in your expectations of this genre and gaming as a whole, but it's a unique take on JRPGs, story-wise and gameplay (Turn-based combat can actually be fun!). The soundtrack is excellent, and the characters are lovable. It's one of those games you wish you could experience for the first time again.

Mentioning Undertaken for some reason reminded me of Heavy Rain, totally different game but Heavy Rain and the spiritual successor, Detroit: Become Human were simply amazing with amazing storylines.

Mentioning Undertaken for some reason reminded me of Heavy Rain, totally different game but Heavy Rain and the spiritual successor, Detroit: Become Human were simply amazing with amazing storylines.
If you like Heavy Rain, try Beyond: Two Souls. It was the game in the series between HR and Detroit. Stars Willem Defoe as well. Enjoyed all 3 games, particularly Detroit. But following controller prompts during the sex scene in Heavy Rain was certainly an awkward moment.

My go-to videogames series of all time are (in no particular order)

- Crash Bandicoot

- Monkey Island

- Metal Gear Solid

- The Souls/Elden Ring saga

- Twisted Metal

- Some random racing games, particularly the more crazy/arcade ones (not really into the simulation ones) like Wipeout, Crash Team Racing, Outrun, Star Wars Racer...

- Pretty much any rollercoaster/theme park related games like RCT, No Limits or even the infamous Rollercoaster Dreams.

Metal Gear Solid. What a ground breaking game the original was. Oh and Dino Crisis.

Metal Gear Solid was a fantastic game but Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty was absolutely phenomenal.

I remember when the first demo for it was released (included with Zone Of Enders and a few months later an expanded version was given away on the cover disc of the Official PlayStation Magazine), I bought a console just to play it and my jaw absolutely hit the floor. That game was ahead of its time and of course there was that twist, the demo had you thinking that you’d play the entire game as Snake…

Metal Gear Solid was a fantastic game but Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty was absolutely phenomenal.

I remember when the first demo for it was released (included with Zone Of Enders and a few months later an expanded version was given away on the cover disc of the Official PlayStation Magazine), I bought a console just to play it and my jaw absolutely hit the floor. That game was ahead of its time and of course there was that twist, the demo had you thinking that you’d play the entire game as Snake…
Absolute belter. Also I can remember final fantasy 8 having amazing graphics for the time

As @BooMT mentioned earlier, Uncharted games were amazing. Really enjoyed globetrotting in the virtual sense on all of those games. The latest one where you are the female characters was just as excellent too.

@Matt.GC, never heard of that other beyond game. I will most certainly be giving that a go, in the coming weeks!...

The new Alan Wake 2 looks amazing, I've been eying that up the last few weeks. Anything they touch is usually a solid game.

I picked it up for £3 a couple of years ago from CEX. I believe the PS4 version is on Playstation store.

Ooo nice, my PS4 gave up the ghost a few years ago after a drunken evening resulted in me spilling a pint of fine west country cider over it. Such a tragedy (especially for the cider).

It seems I can pick it up for cheap via a code for Steam, that is my weekend sorted. You know, after you posted the picture of the cover art, I recognise seeing it some time ago, it just totally went over my head that this was from the same guys as Heavy Rain and Detroit.
1701382432430.png

I am glad it is on PC, it is my platform of choice right now. If it wasn't I would have had to buy a copy from CEX and run it on my PC though the RPCS3 emulator, assuming this specific title is running properly on the emulator (some do not).

Last edited: