• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Favorite video games..

So if anyone is on PC, you may know Epic Game Store give a plethora of free games out to keep. One or two a week, or one every day in December.

The one just gone was Marvels Guardians Of The Galaxy. I downloaded it with low expectations, im about halfway through now and throughly enjoying it.

It has turned out to be one of the best single player games I've played this year, very narrative driven, the gameplay is great too. I highly recommend this one to anyone. I'm not even a massive fan on the movies. But the game is great.
I tried this when it first came to PlayStation Plus, so probably July 2022 and recalled enjoyed it to begin with (especially as a fan of the Insomniac Spider-Man games), but fell out of love during a mission on a bridge. Perhaps I need to revisit it.

Currently playing my way through Jedi Survivor and the hype is real. It's better in every single way than the original, which felt like a bit of a chore to play at times.

The best game I've played this year though, albeit a little late to the party, is "It Takes Two". I know I'm not breaking any new ground here, as it won GOTY in 2020, but I didn't expect it to be THAT good. It's provided seemingly endless hours of fun for the OH and I. With free friends pass, incase you don't have anyone to play with locally, it's definitely a must play.

I tried this when it first came to PlayStation Plus, so probably July 2022 and recalled enjoyed it to begin with (especially as a fan of the Insomniac Spider-Man games), but fell out of love during a mission on a bridge. Perhaps I need to revisit it.

Currently playing my way through Jedi Survivor and the hype is real. It's better in every single way than the original, which felt like a bit of a chore to play at times.

The best game I've played this year though, albeit a little late to the party, is "It Takes Two". I know I'm not breaking any new ground here, as it won GOTY in 2020, but I didn't expect it to be THAT good. It's provided seemingly endless hours of fun for the OH and I. With free friends pass, incase you don't have anyone to play with locally, it's definitely a must play.

I would revisit it, it is worth it.

Jedi Surviver looks great it is on my to do list.

I've been playing through It Takes Two with my 9 year old, we've just got past the point of defeating all the wasps. It's a great game thoroughly enjoying it.

On the same vibe and gameplay style of It Takes Two, but with a more adult theme was this great game.

1000024451.jpg

You have to work together to escape prison and the law, its a 2 player only experience but it is really enjoyable. It has some Shawshank Redemtpion VIBES to it.

I would revisit it, it is worth it.

Jedi Surviver looks great it is on my to do list.

I've been playing through It Takes Two with my 9 year old, we've just got past the point of defeating all the wasps. It's a great game thoroughly enjoying it.

On the same vibe and gameplay style of It Takes Two, but with a more adult theme was this great game.

1000024451.jpg

You have to work together to escape prison and the law, its a 2 player only experience but it is really enjoyable. It has some Shawshank Redemtpion VIBES to it.
It's also made by the same developers, Hazelight. We have the Platty T for it. A great game and an early showcase of what they can do.

Yes, Platty T is a thing.

Wasted a day on FM24. Have to say its easier than previous versions.any tactic with 3 up front seems to work.

Transfers are harder though.

Anyone use the editor? Can you swap teams across leagues? Want to replace the Welsh league teams with the Saudi teams

Alan Wake anyone? Just started the remake of the first in preperation for the second.

I do love the narrative driven games Remedy churn out and Alan Wake is proving excellent so far.

In other news, Remedy recently announced the Max Payne remake has gone into full production, another hugely anticipated title.

Last edited:
Alan Wake anyone? Just started the remake of the first in preperation for the second.

I do love the narrative driven games Remedy churn out and Alan Wake is proving excellent so far.

In other news the Remedy announced Max Payne remake has gone into full production recently, another hugely anticipated title.
I got the remake when it was on offer for like £15 and I just found the dark figures that attack you to be too scary for me :tearsofjoy:
Other than that, it felt very Stephen King inspired.
I remember it's production being fraught with difficulty, and it seemed to take forever to be released.
I think it was around the same time there was a survival game announced. I can't remember what it was called, but the trailer centred around a bunch of strangers fighting over a bottle of water.
I think in the end they over promised a game they could not realistically deliver with the available hardware at the time, and it ended up being diluted as some generic multi-player online game.
Blue Peter badge for anyone who can remember what it was based off my crap description.

I stopped properly gaming around 15 years back. The technology and games prices just got too much for a part time gamer such as myself. Couldn't justify it when I had rent and bills to pay. Took a back step. Plus, online gaming doesn't appeal to me that much.

I still enjoyed games and sometimes wish I had the access to play them. List of all time greats for me.

The secret of monkey island
Monkey island 2 lechucks revenge
The curse of monkey island
Max Payne 1 and 2
Ace combat distant thunder.
Medal of honour allied assault
Hogs of war
Abe's oddysee and exodus
Medieval
Sensible soccer
LMA manager 2007
All GTAs from 3 onwards.

Some serious gamers may snort at some of the above, but games should take you back to a time and place. These do

Some serious gamers may snort at some of the above, but games should take you back to a time and place. These do
Much like other forms of entertainment like music and film, I agree that that as art forms it's ultimately about how much they make you feel. There's tonnes of games that are special to me and take me back to somewhere where I was happy. Before it broke, that's why the Sega Saturn always used to get booted up on Christmas day.

Speaking of which, I really need to replace my Saturn. They're failing now at an alarming rate and getting quite expensive.

I stopped properly gaming around 15 years back. The technology and games prices just got too much for a part time gamer such as myself. Couldn't justify it when I had rent and bills to pay. Took a back step. Plus, online gaming doesn't appeal to me that much.

I still enjoyed games and sometimes wish I had the access to play them. List of all time greats for me.

The secret of monkey island
Monkey island 2 lechucks revenge
The curse of monkey island
Max Payne 1 and 2
Ace combat distant thunder.
Medal of honour allied assault
Hogs of war
Abe's oddysee and exodus
Medieval
Sensible soccer
LMA manager 2007
All GTAs from 3 onwards.

There are some good games there.

I do enjoy how affordable gaming has become now in some senses. A cheap xbox and a gamepass subscription has you linked into a decent plethora of games. You can even get away with an Internet browser and gamepass subscription on the barebones. Granted, you don't get a giant selection to choose what to play, but the selection of 100+ and some rotating games pretty good. Plus, all Microsoft fist party games come on day one.

Last edited:
A general list from across the ages and in no particular order:
  • Tomb Raider II and Tomb Raider Legend
  • SSX Tricky
  • Resident Evil (original) and Resident Evil 4
  • Rayman (the original)
  • Factorio
  • The Sims (any of the core series really)
  • SimCity 4
  • Spyro Year of the Dragon
  • Portal 2

This looks rather good. Releasing exclusively to PC and Xbox this year...on gamepass for both platforms on day one release day, it is a Microsoft first party title after all..

Published by Bethesda but made by MachineGames, the guys responsible for the rather excellent Wolfenstien games a few years ago. This gives me high hopes, they have a proven track record of releasing decent first person games.

Kind of gives me Uncharted VIBES...

A general list from across the ages and in no particular order:
  • Tomb Raider II and Tomb Raider Legend
  • SSX Tricky
  • Resident Evil (original) and Resident Evil 4
  • Rayman (the original)
  • Factorio
  • The Sims (any of the core series really)
  • SimCity 4
  • Spyro Year of the Dragon
  • Portal 2
Portal 2 is still the most fun I have had playing any game.
I'm quite upset that a 3rd game has not been made, yet. I may have to hunt down a used PS3 to replay it.

American Truck Simulator has taken my time recently.

I don't know, there is something quite calming about listening to American music in a big 18 wheeler, hauling cargo across some of North Americas gorgeous landscapes and scenery.

There is a Euro Truck Simulator too. That doesn't float my boat due to the location.

There is a Euro Truck Simulator too. That doesn't float my boat due to the location.
I have played that and quite enjoy it, I agree with you that this kind of game is calming as a fun time waster.

I’m starting to explore more games on the Xbox (I probably mentioned this before but I effectively impulse-purchased a Series X late last year and am currently trying to work out what I like!), and I’ve recently completed the game Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice.

It’s quite simple (effectively linear although it has the appearance of being open-world) and features all our Norse faves such as Valravn, Hela and Surtr. The game is not without its frustrations and there’s a LOT of repetition of tasks. It’s also not always obvious what you’re supposed to do, but this seems to be part of the design given the themes of the story. I spent a lot of time scrolling through online tutorials to actually know what I was supposed to be doing, which is perhaps not in the spirit of things, but as an inexperienced gamer I just wanted to see what was next and finally complete it.

The design of it is stunning though, and the combat is quite satisfying. Just make sure to use your “focus” during combat to help defeat the bosses… wish I knew about this sooner! There’s a sequel coming out later in the year, hence my rush to play it. Would definitely recommend despite my criticisms. The whole thing can be completed in a few hours.

Currently I’m playing Assassins Creed Valhalla, and enjoying it so far!

I have played that and quite enjoy it, I agree with you that this kind of game is calming as a fun time waster.

I’m starting to explore more games on the Xbox (I probably mentioned this before but I effectively impulse-purchased a Series X late last year and am currently trying to work out what I like!), and I’ve recently completed the game Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice.

It’s quite simple (effectively linear although it has the appearance of being open-world) and features all our Norse faves such as Valravn, Hela and Surtr. The game is not without its frustrations and there’s a LOT of repetition of tasks. It’s also not always obvious what you’re supposed to do, but this seems to be part of the design given the themes of the story. I spent a lot of time scrolling through online tutorials to actually know what I was supposed to be doing, which is perhaps not in the spirit of things, but as an inexperienced gamer I just wanted to see what was next and finally complete it.

The design of it is stunning though, and the combat is quite satisfying. Just make sure to use your “focus” during combat to help defeat the bosses… wish I knew about this sooner! There’s a sequel coming out later in the year, hence my rush to play it. Would definitely recommend despite my criticisms. The whole thing can be completed in a few hours.

Currently I’m playing Assassins Creed Valhalla, and enjoying it so far!

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was great, you've reminded me I need to finish it. If you like that game I highly recommend these two, in this order.

1708201138760.png

Then the excellent sequal...

1708201167324.png
Both are excellent story driven games, with a really good narrative, graphics and design.

There is a sequel to Hellblade coming May 21st I think.
1708201245678.png

Both Plague Tale games are available on Microsoft Gamepass as it is now known as, Hellblade will be available on Gamepass, on release day, 21st May 2024. It is advertised on there already....... looking at it, the first Plagues Tale may have left Gamepass actually, its a cheap purchase if it has, the sequel is still on there though.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was great, you've reminded me I need to finish it. If you like that game I highly recommend these two, in this order.

1708201138760.png

Then the excellent sequal...

1708201167324.png
Both are excellent story driven games, with a really good narrative, graphics and design.

There is a sequel to Hellblade coming May 21st I think.
1708201245678.png

Both Plague Tale games are available on Microsoft Gamepass as it is now known as, Hellblade will be available on Gamepass, on release day, 21st May 2024. It is advertised on there already....... looking at it, the first Plagues Tale may have left Gamepass actually, its a cheap purchase if it has, the sequel is still on there though.
Yes they are both on my list! Annoying that the OG has left GamePass now but I definitely want to play them at some point.

What part are you up to in Hellblade? And how have you found the challenges so far? A lot of the reviews agree that having to do the same type of task where the solution isn’t often easy to find over and over again is repetitive and frustrating.