• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

February Half Term 10th-25th 2024: Expanded Event

AT86

TS Member
I know, the 2023 season isn't even over yet, but whilst looking at hotel bookings for next year I appear to have stumbled across the Feb Half Term event for 2024.

Whilst there isn't an event page on the main website itself for this event yet, it is available to book via the short breaks section of the website.

Post Smiler the Feb half term event was scaled back to one week, being Pirate themed it only included Mutiny Bay in the theme park.

The 2024 event seems to have returned to being two weeks long, and will also include CBeebies for the first time since 2015 (I believe?).

Good to see events being scaled up and not down, hopefully a sign of things to come.

Half term.JPG
half term 2.JPG
half term 3.JPG

It’s will be two weeks long as two of Alton’s main local catchments have different half terms. Staffordshire is beginning mon 12th and Derbyshire mon 19th.

This has also been the case a few times over the years, but they stuck to the one week format, so 2024 is a change from that. Possibly because in the recent past it was a hotel only event (i.e. you couldn't just go for the day) and if you live down the road you are unlikely to want or need to stay over.

The two week extension could well be a sign that they will sell day tickets - nothing on the website about that yet, but I am sure something will appear soon.

The reference to Battle Galleons on the website has now been amended:

IMG_5755.jpeg

Sounds like the attraction will differ somehow, perhaps no guns and added theming/elements to make it more suitable for February weather.

Nice to see them try new things and add extra experiences to the event.

The reference to Battle Galleons on the website has now been amended:

IMG_5755.jpeg

Sounds like the attraction will differ somehow, perhaps no guns and added theming/elements to make it more suitable for February weather.

Nice to see them try new things and add extra experiences to the event.

Of all the things

Jesus wept

I get the fact Alton Manor is the other side of the park, but if they plan to open up just the front of the park for events why aren’t they planning with that in mind? Is there even a sit down restaurant open? Why not add more indoor rides on the magic hq car park and bus park?

Two fantastic spots for a pirate boat ride (with restaurant) and flying theatre.

Nobody wants to go on a splash battle in the UK in February? Nobody.

If a UK version of 365 is to work the parks need to be able to rotate their offering throughout the parks dependent on season. Legoland seem to have cracked this.

But the rest of the Merlin group need to be developing with this mind, a proper 10 year plan.

Not multi-buying hardware and slapping the best of the rest Sony IP on its that’s half relevant at the time.

Its worrying the Merlin group seem more Six Flags and less Europa Park/Efteling/Phantasialand year by year

Last edited:
Why not add more indoor rides on the magic hq car park and bus park?
This sounds achievable in 2/3 months.
If a UK version of 365 is to work the parks need to be able to rotate their offering throughout the parks dependent on season.
365 was only hinted at this very season. They are rotating their offering, it's just not a rotation you're happy with. They haven't had time to build up yet.

It's very much chicken and egg. They need the additional revenue and market share to be able to develop these seasonal events more. You argue that they shouldn't be doing them until they have better facilities to handle it, but also complain when they scale back an event to cope with the infrastructure they already have, possibly so that they can focus resources in expansion. With all of that said, I quite like having my cake and eating it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The attractions open for Half Term event are now listed on the website.

Surprised they have included Get Set Go since it can struggle in low temps, but good to see more than just Marauders and Heave Ho, which is all they had open last year.

IMG_6003.jpeg

It's a bit of a non-event again, but it is good to see them have another ride open in the form of Battle Galleons (although one does wonder how entertaining that will be without its gimmick). Having actors in Sharkbait Reef is something they've done in the past, but it's a nice touch if they have the resources.

Would love to see FHT return in full - always loved the idea of a small ride offering a month or so before the season starts to help whet the appetites of people like us. Considering some of the greater issues the park has had recently, it doesn't look like something that will return; presumably this "Pirate Takeover" is sustainable as it's been going for a few years now.

I enjoyed last year's half term event and think this sounds like an improvement. It targets families with younger school age children, which is the logical and sensible market to pool your limited resources at that time of year into attracting.
No complaints from me.

Would love to see FHT return in full - always loved the idea of a small ride offering a month or so before the season starts to help whet the appetites of people like us.
I can't see that happening, the weather is too unpredicatable, last few times they tried it snowed causing them not to be able to open and its better to have the time for maintenance. Far more likely that Christmas would be expanded as December weather is milder.

Day tickets are now on sale at £15pp and annual pass prebooks available. Park hours are 10am-4pm.

The reskinned Battle Galleons has a name too ‘Seadog Starkey’s Sailing School’ (try saying that after a few rum and cokes).

Enjoyed last year with the usual characters in the aquarium- Sharktooth Jack, Sam Pigeon, Roger Ramrod, Lady Victoria Sponge and co - what a great crew they were. Not many of them left now I think.
Last year they brought in an external company to do the show in Mutiny Bay courtyard but no news about this year's yet.

Enjoyed last year with the usual characters in the aquarium- Sharktooth Jack, Sam Pigeon, Roger Ramrod, Lady Victoria Sponge and co - what a great crew they were. Not many of them left now I think.
Last year they brought in an external company to do the show in Mutiny Bay courtyard but no news about this year's yet.
The website does state “dazzling new shows and spectacular performances for 2024”. Would have thought it would be internal ents as they usually do it themselves, which I did find odd last year they didn’t.

The app has been updated ready for the start of this event at the weekend.

As well as the three shows in CBeebies Land there are set to be two shows in the Mutiny Bay courtyard. I think these differ from last year, but I’m not 100% on that.

IMG_6072.jpeg

Captain Finn's Pirate Training Camp has been around in one for or another for years. Not sure I've ever heard of Pirates of Mutiny Bay: The Hunt for the Crown of T'Hulu before... but I'm not going to claim I've been keeping up with the Pirates of Mutiny Bay in recent years.

Captain Finn's Pirate Training Camp has been around in one for or another for years. Not sure I've ever heard of Pirates of Mutiny Bay: The Hunt for the Crown of T'Hulu before... but I'm not going to claim I've been keeping up with the Pirates of Mutiny Bay in recent years.
No that sounds like a brand new pirate show. It wasn’t on last year.