• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ferrari World - Abu Dhabi - 3 New Coasters incl. SFX Coaster

Are all 3 due to open this season?!

I hadn't realised the SFX coaster would enter the mall part, I assumed it would all be enclosed, I can find very little on the layout of that ride at all.

In fact the whole place is hard to find updates on.

It looks like Flying Aces opens officially tomorrow! Here's a nice shot of the trains:

2016_7_ferrari_base.jpg

Source

And here is a video of it in operation:

Quite underwhelmed from the video actually, looks to go around the circuit rather slowly, especially for an Intamin!

:)

Every single time a new coaster is testing, there always seem to be comments saying how slow it looks. Firstly, it will speed up once the wheels and bearings wear in. Secondly, I don't think it does look particularly slow. If you compare it to similarly sized coasters, it actually carries its speed pretty well. Okay, it's not i305 but it's not exactly crawling through the layout either. The camera angle doesn't do it a lot of justice. It's a crudely filmed tracking shot from a distance against a mostly featureless background. There's nothing there to give the coaster scale, no objects to compare it to and show how fast it's really going. Let's not forget this coaster is over 200ft tall.

Also, how exciting a ride looks from the ground doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the quality of the ride. Skyrush (which also uses these trains) looks fairly sedate and non-threatening from an offride perspective but by all accounts the ride itself is insane.

I'd imagine the white track is something to do with the heat out there, seeing as Formula Rossa is the same.

With it opening tomorrow we should hopefully get a decent POV soon which will give a better idea of how it rides.

I'd imagine the white track is something to do with the heat out there, seeing as Formula Rossa is the same.
In Adu Dhabi, all of the outdoor coasters are white (indoor coasters tend to be coloured). So I think that's the reason why. Not sure about the rest of the UAE though.

White reflects heat the best out of any colour. It's also the only colour that can't fade or bleach. Scream at SF:MM was repainted literally last year, and it's already fading - and anyone that saw its state prior to 2014 would know what I mean about the heat fading it. And Dubai is a lot hotter more consistently than California!

It gets up the lift hill faster than it gets around the track.

We can compare speed, because it goes up the lift hill quickly, down the drop pretty quick, then seems to lose speed until I'm surprised it actually reached the end of the course!

How it rides, that's different, and I would agree about it needing to bed in etc. No idea when that was filmed so...

And VERTICAL VIDEO - what the hell was that?!?!

Every single time a new coaster is testing, there always seem to be comments saying how slow it looks.
But not when it's a video from the day before it actually opens. Usually you see this sort of thing weeks before it opens. I'm pretty concerned.

POV!

The coaster is a great length, and reviews so far have been positive. Station looks amazing as well!

Here's some more info on the ride from an engineering perspective. Short but explained that loop, makes sense now!

Have to say though, it seems to really lose speed 2nd half looks dull as.....!

That loop though :hearteyes:

Great how long it is, but could be faster and it's weirdly drawn out for an Intamin, lacks the usual snap. The big non-inverting loop is great. Looks decent overall.