• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2013

Hmmm I wonder what that could be for? I don't recall scaffolding like that in previous years.

:)

it was :)

don't know what it was, it was in a different place but it's there.

1351869611.jpg

^^ That picture is from last week. They were starting to construct two new towers at the back of the lawns today.

Maybe they have created a framework to hold an array of small, flame fireworks that create Mr Twirly. Well, one can hope anyway.

intriguing development

As already mentioned the fireworks display is now being planned by the creative arm of Entertainments, unlike previous years. With any luck that means the show might have a bit more theater to it than the last two years.

I wouldn't expect it to be too far removed from the style of 2010 though.

With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 years, there has always been a scaff tower in the middle behind the lake since the 90's. It's used to raise the central laser heads, and also in 2005 (Pop Rocket Part II) they actually had 4 towers like this. Check back on your old photo's to see.

I don't think the towers in that pic will be high enough for a Smiler face. That is unless there's more to come.

As of last night there were I believe 4 towers built on that side of the lake. There's been people constructing the towers quite quickly over the past two days!

PeteB said:
With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 years, there has always been a scaff tower in the middle behind the lake since the 90's. It's used to raise the central laser heads, and also in 2005 (Pop Rocket Part II) they actually had 4 towers like this. Check back on your old photo's to see.

I don't think the towers in that pic will be high enough for a Smiler face. That is unless there's more to come.

Yeah, but as said there is usually one not four.

I doubt it will be for anything particularly wacky, probably a bigger spread of lazers but either way it suggest something different even if it's just some lighting.

This is priceless, from the MAP Facbook page:

Merlin said:
Attention Passholders & Members!

Got plans for this weekend? Alton Towers are having Fireworks tonight, Saturday and Sunday (1st-3rd November 2013).

All passholders get UNRESTRICTED entry into the Alton Towers Fireworks so enjoy and have fun!

If you want to make your Alton Towers Fireworks visit extra special then Alton Towers are offering a limited number of VIP Experience packages which includes:

- Access to an exclusive viewing platform
- Food & Drink before the show
- A glass of Champagne
- Express Parking

The cost of the VIP Package for Annual Passholders & Members is £55 adults for adults & £40 for children.

For more information: http://www.altontowers.com/events/fireworks/#VIPExperience

To book at this rate:
Call 0871 222 9938

Good to know that they know what's going on!

OK I was on park today and when not being told off for observing a certain new ride shed components, I took some more fireworks construction pics.

As you enter the park you see the following across the lake.
P1100026.JPG

Notice not only the low lights but also the 3 towers. A zoom shot through the fog at one of the towers.
P1100028.JPG

Scooting round the back here's one of the towers
P1100116.JPG

and another
P1100120.JPG

Zoomie Zoomie
P1100121.JPG

Some lighting
P1100142.JPG

The third tower
P1100144.JPG

Some boxes
P1100146.JPG

lights that don't want to become parents
P1100147.JPG

the lights at the front, must be new as they still have the cellophane on them
P1100035.JPG

And you would think that that was it, but no there is much more to go in.
P1100042.JPG

And a total nerd shot of the gennies
P1100046.jPG

I will leave you with a shot from the cable car (So excuse the washed colours, the plastic is poor to photograph through.
P1100136.JPG

Nice pics, definitely more lighting this year.

I like the fact people where telling you off for photographing Smiler, hope you mocked them senselessly.

I was reading an article online and it would seem The Smiler isnt the only thing this years fireworks will be based on.
"he annual event which is one of the UK’s biggest displays will this year take guests on a journey through some of the resort’s biggest memories, from the original rollercoaster, the Corkscrew right through to the newest ride, The Smiler." :twirly:

^ This sounds very exciting. Maybe we will be getting a good solid story show this year. I can't wait to see what they do. :)

Nice idea on going through the memories, I've certainly tired of the pop songs routine.

It also means that if a Firework hits someone in the crowd they can say its part of the story, have you not heard why The Smiler is shut? :p

Will be in the hotel Friday night and mill about Saturday and return again on Sunday - I only bother with the fireworks, once I've used my hotel fastracks that'll be me for the season ride wise - far too busy!

They were testing some pretty awesome and rather powerful spot lights this evening, it looks like there are 4 of them. There seems a load more lighting than previous years. I'm really quite excited for fireworks next weekend!

Those structues look interesting! I hope they use them to their full effect, rather than just making the actual fireworks look less impressive... it seems a fairly hefty chunk of buget has been spent on these. If they act as nothing more than disco lights to pop music, it will be very dissapointing. But still i have hope that ents running the event will give us something far more story based (seems pete is a fan of story based attractions).

NickT04 said:
It also means that if a Firework hits someone in the crowd they can say its part of the story, have you not heard why The Smiler is shut? :p

From the smiler general thread : Guide wheels appear to have fallen from the vertical lift. This caused "bruising" for atleast one rider (four were reportidly hit), fortunately the rest of the wheels were caught by the saftey netting. The BBC reported on it here

You can see the spotlights from Derby side of Ashbourne, I could see them in my rear view mirror last night that has to be 10-15miles away surely?