• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2014

I'm surprised that VIP Merlin Annual Pass holders only get 20% off. Given that they advertise those passes as all access and no restrictions I'd have expected them to get in with the pass alone. At most with a minor booking fee.

On the other hand anyone willing to pay £500 for an Annual Pass would probably fork out another £80 without even thinking about it.

I disagree, they already have to bend over backwards for these overly demanding VIP passholders. The VIP pass was a huge mistake, it appears that many of the people with them now see themselves as god's gift and should be entitled to anything they ask for anywhere in the park. I have heard several stories of quite 'disgusting' behaviour and I do not think the staff are too keen on it all either.

In terms of the fireworks VIP area, in a huge mix up on Towers' part (there were two Robert Lowe's staying in the hotel that night) I got two free tickets for it. The view is incredible and it is a brilliant experience. Although not sure I would actually pay for it.

:)

VIP pass holders walking around acting like god's gift was bound to happen. Bit like the 13 year olds with Merlin Premium Passes that walk around like god's gift tbh.

Although for such a high price a 20% discount is a bit of a cheek. Pass holders on all levels seem to be hit in the face really. It should be free for VIP pass holders, or at the very least a 50% discount.

VIP pass holders walking around acting like god's gift was bound to happen. Bit like the 13 year olds with Merlin Premium Passes that walk around like god's gift tbh.

Although for such a high price a 20% discount is a bit of a cheek. Pass holders on all levels seem to be hit in the face really. It should be free for VIP pass holders, or at the very least a 50% discount.

I don't think it should exist at all. The idea of a premium VIP area is so out of touch with what a theme park should be about, even for an event like this.

I really hate the way that Merlin creates different classes of guests whether that be through fast track, different types of annual pass or exclusive premium experiences like this. Of course, they will continue to do it because there are always people willing to pay extra for such things. However, this will always be to the detriment of the guests who only pay for admission.

The idea that some guests are more valuable than others goes against what I see as the ethos of a theme park experience. It's supposed to be a relaxing escape where you can forget about the troubles of the outside world. You shouldn't be able to buy your way past a queue or pay your way into a more exclusive area. At times, Alton can seem like an ugly reminder of how poor you are, where you feel you're supposed to continuously spend to properly enjoy your day.

Last edited:
Starting to inch a little toward discussion about the VIP pass than fireworks here. Don't forget we have the annual pass topic for discussion on VIP, standard and premium passes :)

@CGM I have to respectfully disagree with you. I perhaps would agree if the area was slap bang in the middle of everyone elses view. Such as, overselling of fast track, which when managed properly can be a convenience for reasons I have gone into before, and it makes me giggle because so many people on this site use it for trips abroad!

If I want to spend a little more, to sit down, have a glass of fizzy, a pork bap, and spend a princely sum to feel a little bit posh for a bit, why not? If I went and sat in that area, how I am proving a detriment to your experience, because you can't do anything but focus on the fact I am in the VIP area?

To those who wish to buy it, a fair few will save up no doubt, power to them! Enjoy it!! Not all wealth, success etc is at the detriment of others, and in this case, offering a premium experience for those who want in a way that doesn't actually affect the enjoyment for anyone else only can possibly bother you in your own mind.

Now, THORPE, and their fast track crap, that's an entirely different matter! VIP passes... conflicting thoughts on that for me. There's certainly a bit too much "extra this and that" to the detriment of other customers, that's inarguable and wrong, but in this case, personally, I don't see the problem at all.

When it's over and above, and NOT to the detriment of others (in fact, it may contribute to a better experience budget wise for all), then it's CHOICE, when it's fast track at someone elses time expense, then it's two tier service.

Big difference.

@CGM
If I want to spend a little more, to sit down, have a glass of fizzy, a pork bap, and spend a princely sum to feel a little bit posh for a bit, why not?

That's fair enough but then why not have a champagne/ pork bap tent open to all? Why make other guests feel second rate by segregating VIP guests from everyone else?

That's fair enough but then why not have a champagne/ pork bap tent open to all? Why make other guests feel second rate by segregating VIP guests from everyone else?

The Hog Roast outlet is available to all isn't it? It wasn't in the VIP area last year, it was on the opposite side of TS.

Because then the price would be higher for everyone? With the VIP 'option' you have the choice to pay extra if you wish.

Out of interest, what are your opinions of first class train and air travel? Surely it is very similar. You pay considerably more money and get offerings that 'standard' passengers do not. You are also segregated in an exclusive area.

Some photos from this years preparations taken yesterday.
No towers this year.
P1140797.JPG

Fingers crossed they manage to set fire to that eye sore on the right.

I love it when people come onto the forum and make me look moderate @PeteB :D

Out of interest, what are your opinions of first class train and air travel? Surely it is very similar. You pay considerably more money and get offerings that 'standard' passengers do not. You are also segregated in an exclusive area.

It's almost insulting given my start on this forum how much I agree with you now @Rob ;) but you make a great point. It's arguably worse also, due to the fact first class actually does detract from plebeian experience by way of needing more room for those nice boot boy polished hand crafted by Italian villagers only one pair per year shoes they wear!

:D

Largely agree with TheMan, if people are willing to pay for it, why shouldn't a VIP area be offered for fireworks, the same as first class on trains/planes if people are willing to pay for it, companies will continue to offer it. I quite like the idea of the VIP offering, but personally it is too expensive, especially as I am staying at the hotel, making preferred parking pointless.

As for Premium passes with no blackout dates and free parking, this is something that a lot of theme parks around the world do, particularly Disney where I think the basic pass in California blocks out almost every Saturday! I think maybe the wording of premium is wrong as it implies it is better than standard, when in fact all you are getting is no black-out dates and free parking. Disneyland Paris calls their passes Fantasy (valid 320 days a year) and Dream (356 days), maybe Merlin could call them annual pass and Wizard pass or something?

First of all, there's a big difference between Alton Towers and public transport. It worries me that people would even consider comparing the two. Transport is a public service. It's necessary to get from point A to point B, Alton is a luxury on which to spend disposable income. Overall there are a few things that bother me about first class. It takes up a lot of space and drives the cost of economy seats up for a start.

The thing is that Alton should be in itself a premium product. It may not be immediately obvious how the VIP area is detrimental to the average visitor but I think it's part of a wider problem whereby Merlin are targeting people who will readily part with large amounts of money for small perks at the expense of the average visitor who let's not forget haven't exactly paid a small amount of money to be there.

If nothing else, it makes me feel less valued as a customer and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Fair enough, but it is not just Merlin that offer things similar to VIP viewing areas. Disney do a lot of these premium experiences as do other parks.