• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2014

PA system probably isn't a huge issue since they usually have further speakers at back of the lawns and on TowersStreet don't they?

Yep, it's completely irrelevant how powerful the speakers at the front are due to this.

They'd be rigged by now. Pics I saw today didn't show any. None last year either.

Yep, it's completely irrelevant how powerful the speakers at the front are due to this.

Not true. Even the world's best line array systems only have a throw distance of about 100m before the sound seriously degrades. That's why festivals have delay towers about 50m from the stage. But the bulk of the sound waves come from the stage system, and as low frequencies travel further the delay towers have less subwoofers, or sometimes none at all.

The towers lawns are about 130m. :)

[/geekmode]

They'd be rigged by now. Pics I saw today didn't show any. None last year either.

Not true. Even the world's best line array systems only have a throw distance of about 100m before the sound seriously degrades. That's why festivals have delay towers about 50m from the stage. But the bulk of the sound waves come from the stage system, and as low frequencies travel further the delay towers have less subwoofers, or sometimes none at all.

The towers lawns are about 130m. :)

[/geekmode]

As this isn't a festival, I'd say lack of bass isn't a drawback at all. They aren't playing heavy EDM here, a standard PA speaker would have more than enough bass further back for the purpose. I seriously doubt they aren't going to rig up speakers further back, it's a necessity for people standing on TS to watch it.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow for sure, but with 20,000+ people it's not all that different from a festival, and my point was that they were using far bigger systems in previous years. Towers have always had the best sound of all firework events in the country. Just a little saddened when I see it being cut back.

With heavy/light rain being forecast for tonight/tomorrow, what are the chances of it being cancelled?

None. The show must gone on! Ive seen the entire lawn turn into a swamp and they still ran it.

Also there is only a low chance of rain for tonight and Sunday. Saturday looks the worse.

Last edited:
If you look at the picture with all the scaffolding, the actual PA system isnt that big, the scaffolding is mostly there for the lighting rig as opposed to any speakers.

As for weather, grrrr, im there tomorrow and Sunday. Gutted about the weather tomorrow.

With heavy/light rain being forecast for tonight/tomorrow, what are the chances of it being cancelled?

No chance, unless the wind is so strong that it's blowing fallout towards the audience. Everything will be well waterproofed.

Hi there. I was wondering if the gates are likely to close tomorrow. We are going for the fireworks and with our annual pass we were considering arriving after lunch tomorrow and staying for fireworks and then early on Sunday to do a few more rides before heading home. Don't want to end up not getting in tomorrow though.
Thanks.

Hi there. I was wondering if the gates are likely to close tomorrow. We are going for the fireworks and with our annual pass we were considering arriving after lunch tomorrow and staying for fireworks and then early on Sunday to do a few more rides before heading home. Don't want to end up not getting in tomorrow though.
Thanks.
If the park reaches capacity then the gates will inevitably close. I'm not sure what the capacity is. Expect it to be extremely busy though!

The park very rarely reaches capacity as its around 30,000 and they very rarely reach that. However, if they are getting close, they may limit it to pre-paid tickets only.

Full show, not brilliant quality but ok.
Couple of pics taken around the park but not uploaded to the TN live stream.
P1140988.JPG

P1140983.JPG]

P1140987.JPG]

Not watching the video as any fireworks are only worth watching IRL, and not on a screen, you just don't get the same effect. Those images look great! Really disappointed I couldn't attend this year, but will try my upmost once I've left school to attend on the Sundays for the meets. :D

Urgh. I see they're using a disappointingly small PA system again this year. What ever happened to this:

002.jpg

What's in that pic isn't a hugely different speaker rig than what they have put up. Don't think all the speakers had been hoisted up in robs picture.

There are also speaker rigs at the bottom of Towers Street

Also they are using ohm speakers who are pretty good.

Certainly on Friday audio quality was fine.

Certainly on Friday audio quality was fine.

I agree for the most part, however at the start of ITHOTMK it sounded horrifically distorted where I was stood.

Am I the only person who thought the 'dreams' character looked like a green bar of soap with some shaving foam on?

I have to disagree about the audio quality on Friday - I was stood at the bottom of Towers Street and at several points, including the first half of the ITHOTMK finale, the audio was awful. It all sounded distorted and you could only hear parts of the bass sound. Also from this area you could only see the top half of the water screen.

Other than this however, I thought the show was excellent. There was less cringe and pop music than last year, and the overall display seemed a lot more cohesive and tasteful. :)

Watching YouTube videos I have to say I'm pretty.. underwhelmed, with the first half that is. The first half of the show seems a bit flat and the story doesn't come across that clear. When the "nightmares" kick in I enjoyed the rest of the show far more.

Credit where credit is due though, I've been saying for years they should get more effects back like the 90s and early 00s, so well done to them for getting things like fire effects and a waterscreen happening. We at last have a show that you could compare to the 90s/00s. Hope the effects continue in future years!

The pyrotechnics look fantastic again, Jubilee have done a great job as always working with Towers.

My only issues really, from watching the videos, is the first half not feeling that exciting and the story not coming across that well. I think they could have used a stronger story to be honest. Still, for something Pete Cliff and co have done for the second time for fireworks I can at least admire the effort and ambition, hopefully they can continue down this route in 2015.

I think the story telling needs tweaking for the medium being used. The story itself is fine, good v evil with good winning. With tinks to the enjoyment the park brings.
i do wonder if Mr C is still finding his feet with this medium.

Brief thoughts:

Not as good as 2013. However this doesn't mean it isn't a good show! Sound quality was very good and the story idea is solid. Execution is a bit rough around the edges though and the water screen could do with being a few feet taller and wider to make the projection images clearer.

I did enjoy the show and the ideas behind it though - but something in me preferred last years ideas of the ride-themed fireworks and The Smiler taking over better.

Also in my opinion the show overused fire effects in certain sections which made them feel a bit flat.

Despite those minor issues though it's a very good show!