• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

The Ferris wheel does appear to be the bane of the area.

Anyone been on Twistosaurus? What's it like?

Harvey. said:
The Ferris wheel does appear to be the bane of the area.

Pretty damn decent for what it is, its surprisingly smooth and theres just the right balance of thrill for the target audience.

badlydrawnkelBel said:
Any decent hotels or b&b to stay at nearby? Need to know ASAP

Are you just thinking of visiting Flamingo Land or thinking about visting Lightwater too?

I usually stay at Leeds Colton Travellodge which is about 1 hour from both of the parks.

Harvey. said:

Utterly dreadful. I thought it was slow, lumbering, ugly, pointless and without merit in any sense. It does absolutely nothing. Like, really, nothing.

It makes a Reverchon spinner feel like Expedition Geforce.

There's a travelodge in York near the train station (a fair bit closer than leeds), and tons of B&Bs in Pickering which is nextdoor to the park.

It just smacks to me that Flamingoland are unintentionally recycling old Alton Towers concepts but in a cheaper fashion and without the originality? I mean looking at Ug Land compared to the photos I've seen of Dino Stone Park and it just seems like a step back in time. I understand that dinosaurs are popular with kids, but there doesn't seem to be that much originality?

Whilst Air is both technically fantastic and as a ride enjoyable Hero just seems to be very odd and a cheap alternative. I just wish they had the nads to offer something different?

The dino area is actually pretty good, OK most of the rides are complete rubbish but the area is well presented and there are a few rather impressive animatronics dotted around.

Now that Ug Land is no more those I'd say comparisons are less relevant than they would have been 10 years ago (Ug Land post Rita wasn't really themed in any meaningful way).

Hero on the other hand seems a step backwards for Mingo - it's very much in the style of the additions from the early 2000s which, whilst generally well presented, were little more than glorified fairground rides with no theming to speak of.

See I can kind of see their thinking with Hero's ride system choice, in that there's only 1 other flying coaster in the UK, and there are no Zamperla ones, which are quite different to the B&M equivalents. On paper it would look to be a real good marketing opportunity, and a brilliant way to attract new visitors.

However, in and around the park there's no real indication that there is a major new ride on the way. In fact, unless you walked past it you probably wouldn't even notice anything that different. This, combined with the abysmal presentation of the ride means that all that potential is lost.

On reflection, I realise it wouldn't fit in the Hero space, but I'd much rather have seen them go with the Vekoma option, be that a Stingray, or a Flying Dutchman. Both would be unique to this country, but would offer so much more in terms of ride layout potential and experience. It would compliment Kumali perfectly, and would really move the park forward, as oppose to back several years. It's a shame :(

I understand that they are a cheap manufacturer, but I really do wish they would move away from Zamperla for virtually every attraction they install these days. Anyone would think Zamperla owned the place or something! They're ok for smaller flat rides, and those sort of bits, but as a coaster manufacturer they leave a lot to be desired! They've got 4 of the bloody things now, and (Hero exempt, as I haven't ridden it yet) none of them are anything special, and anything which is memorable about them is so for the wrong reasons!

- Mine Train - Rough as hell. Seriously, if I was a 5 year old going on that it'd put me off coasters for life. It's also plonked down with all the taste and consideration of a dog turd.

- Zooom! - A nice thought, but it somehow manages to break physics! It shuffles its way around the track, and somehow manages to slow down and swing on straight declining track. They did sort of try with a bit of theming here with the station, but on the whole it still leaves a lot to be desired.

- Twistosaurus - Again, a nice though. Not a dreadful ride experience, but certainly nothing special. They could of gone with a much grander ride system and layout which offers the same level of enjoyment, only better. Once again though, it's another dreadfully plonked ride.

- Hero - A prime example of a good strategic idea poorly executed. Devoid of any real theme (No, stainless steel and glass is not a theme), in spite of the name suggesting a theme which the flying concept was really made for. It really is quite an eyesore. The layout looks uninspired, and again very lackluster. I really do think if they'd used any other ride system that's still flying it could have been so much more, and a real leap forward for the place.

It's about time the park pulled its finger out and built a decent ride which will really wow people. Instead, it feels like they're moving back in time. The park feels grotty and unloved, with rides just plonked down on concrete left, right and centre. I'm really in no hurry to return at all until they start to make a real effort :/

I visited Flamingoland on Saturday and had 6 rides on Hero. My verdict: Well its certainly not the worst coaster I have ridden and I do not understand how this model of ride ranks so low amongst enthusiasts. Sure its a bit rough in places, but at least you come off the ride knowing you have been on a coaster rather than some of the forceless rides you get these days.

My first ride was perhaps the roughest, in that because of the position you are in, you try to look forward, hence you raise your head and put your head into a unorthodox position. To replicate this position, stand up and look directly at the sky. Thats the position you are in on the ride. Couple that with the position that you lay in due to the car tilting mechanism makes your centre of gravity lower. Subsequent rides I rode it face down and its a completely different ride.

Dont get me wrong its not the best ride in the world, but certainly not the worst. It has the wow factor and is impressive to look at. The queueline was full at the start of the day, but the maximum I waited was 20mins and you are always moving.

I enjoyed the soundtrack for the ride as well and ride operation could not be faulted (on Hero that is).

So will be interesting to read other peoples comments on the ride. What would I prefer, the Wild Mouse or a new proper flying coaster which has given life to the area? I would go for Hero everytime.

As for the rest of the park, Dino Stone park is looking bettter and better and actually did what is was designed to do. Entertain. Kids and families were walking around looking at the Dino's and again has breathed life into a tired part of the park.

Thumbs up from me.

Good lord. It's like they they're not even trying to make it an enjoyable ride.

Credit where it's due though, the throughput doesn't actually look too bad.

That restraint design, aesthetic and operation is possibly the most primitive I've ever seen of any train on any coaster. If you gave the job to Top Gear I think they could come up with something more slick.

Wow, the "station" is possibly the worst in the history of coasters! It makes Rita's look like a themed masterpiece! However I do quite like the colour scheme of the ride, it's different.

:)

Have to say I am a little disappointed with the overall look of the ride. I thought Flamingo Land had turnt a corner regarding theme etc but this is BLAND! I thought they may put up a big alien like the posters or something but there is literally nothing. Ride looks fun but nothing incredible!

Rob said:
Wow, the "station" is possibly the worst in the history of coasters! It makes Rita's look like a themed masterpiece! However I do quite like the colour scheme of the ride, it's different.

Oohhh thats a bit harsh... Anyone forgot what the Beastie station was like? Hero's station does its job. It fits into Metropolis. Glass, metal looks fine to me.

PeteA said:
Rob said:

Oohhh thats a bit harsh... Anyone forgot what the Beastie station was like? Hero's station does its job. It fits into Metropolis. Glass, metal looks fine to me.

Except Beastie didn't start out with such a rubbish station, its original oriental theming was removed (don't know when or why). Flamingo Land have made Hero look like that from the get-go.