• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

The problem with Flamingo Land is that random Zamperla tat does not a theme park make. It's not a shortage of money; sure, Zamperla is cheap, but not buying anything at all is cheaper and to be brutally honest, just as good for the park right now. No, the money is there - it's just spent diabolically. If you add up the cost of all the Zamp tat they've bought for the past five years (Rockin' Tug, Zooom!, Twistosaurus, Pterodactyl, a couple of other kiddie flats and this year's junior swing) you'd be pushing at the £15 million mark. Europa Park built Arthur for that.

For the price of Twistosaurus, Zooom, Pterodactyl, and Hero, you could have a decent major coaster to go on the old Corkscrew spot. It's not like they have Dragon Coaster, Go Gator, Runaway Mine Train, plus a buttload of small flats for the young kids. The fact they consider Velocity to be a major thrill coaster is pretty laughable too.

Reactions: Ian
Velocity is a major thrill coaster for a park the size of Flamingo Land. It is one of the park's most popular rides and is in a very dominant location. Sure it's not a massive B&M multi looping floorless coaster but would you expect to see that at a park the size of Flamingo Land? It works for them and people like it. I personally find it the most enjoyable coaster in the park, albeit with very little competition.

Velocity is a major thrill coaster for a park the size of Flamingo Land. It is one of the park's most popular rides and is in a very dominant location. Sure it's not a massive B&M multi looping floorless coaster but would you expect to see that at a park the size of Flamingo Land? It works for them and people like it. I personally find it the most enjoyable coaster in the park, albeit with very little competition.

At a park the size of Flamingoland with the money that a park like Flamingoland has (or had, before they cleared out the bargain bin at Zamperla) I expect to see a far better balance of family and thrill, and I also expect to see the owner and managers actually paying attention to quality rather than quantity. What makes "Hero" an appropriate name for a major coaster when the only theming is the mandatory safety fencing and a queue line? Velocity's "theme" barely even makes sense, it's literally just plonked on a spare lot that was haphazardly named "Metropolis". The one area of the park that looks nice and is themed to an OK standard is Kumali, Lost River, and the zoo.

It's been like five years since I've been, but I remember thinking the Yellow Submarine sort of bit looked cool. The rest is a mess though. I think Velocity and Kumali are decent headline rides for the park, but they could have had a third if they spent money more wisely. Mumbo Jumbo was a sound investment, but it's not the sort of ride people flock to, they should have built something bigger again since instead of the stuff they have bought.

The main problem for me is that they just don't look after their rides. Kumali runs like a bag of faeces and cliffhanger doesn't seem to work half the time!

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Bit of an odd one this... Saw this in the Yorkshire post a couple of weeks ago. For those who don't know (which is probably most readers) The Futurist Theatre was Scarborough's main theatre; it was a lovely, old, vintage building but was subject to loads of legal battles about its safety due to ageing and such and it closed in January. It has since been boarded up and looks a real state. There are a few potential bidders and one has been confirmed to be Flamingo Land...

The proposed bidder for the redevelopment of Scarborough’s Futurist Theatre is Flamingo Land, it was announced today.
The would-be developer, which runs the theme park of the same name at Malton, North Yorkshire, wants to demolish the theatre and build a roller coaster, botanical gardens and a 55m lighthouse structure.
Its working title for the Scarborough scheme is ‘Flamingo Land Coast’.
Details of Flamingo Land’s ideas for the site were first released last month in a report to the council’s Cabinet. They included a glass roofed botanical gardens, a roller coaster, a 55metre iconic lighthouse structure and ‘Space Shot Tower’, which propels customers 55 metres into the sky, an elevated sea view bar, restaurant and function space, a walk-through aviary and a new town square for Scarborough.
Gordon Gibb, of Flamingo Land Limited said: “Scarborough is my home town so it gives me great pleasure, both personally and on behalf of Flamingo Land Limited, to be associated with developing a major visitor attraction on the old Futurist site.”
Deborah Doyle, of GMI Estates, said the council has been “extremely positive about developing its tourism plans for the town”.

As a Scarborough resident, to me, this sounds absolutely vile.

(You can read the full thing at http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...ls-plans-for-scarborough-theme-park-1-6907898 )

Wooden rollercoaster rumoured for 2016.
800px-%22Citation_needed%22.jpg

It can't be much worse than an empty, derelict theatre? At least they'll be something to keep the clientele of Scarbados busy and away from the quieter bits.

Wasn't a wooden coaster rumoured for 2015? & 2014 & 2013 & 2012 & 2011 & 2010 & 2009 & 2008

I'd heard something about these Scarboro' plans a few days ago. I really don't get it! Yes, The Futurist is nothing short of a dive, but as a site I can't see it being a cheap and problem free, nor brimming with space. South beach is probably the last place I'd think you'd want to try something like this, especially when there's all the space at North Cliff Gardens which is still doing little more than rotting (Whatever happened to those supposed master plans for the area?).

However, before even considering the location, I think in my mind Flamingo Land needs to instead look at sorting out its main park before expanding. The amount of money that would be spent on this expansion could do so much for the theme park, and give it some of the much needed work the place is crying out for.

A very daft move at this stage in my opinion.

I think there is still very much the hope that it will be taken on and managed as a theatre again, rather than redeveloped. I think any plans that resulted in the demolition of The Futurist would be met with contempt.

there's all the space at North Cliff Gardens which is still doing little more than rotting (Whatever happened to those supposed master plans for the area?).

To be fair, I have seen a bit of progress on the water park on the former Atlantis site. It's still pre-construction, but things appear to moving, albeit very, very slowly.

that's a vile idea that wont be done very well. Scarborough isn't in need of this it needs major investment for sure but as a person said before mingoland needs to invest in its dingy cramped god awful park before ruining the front of Scarborough

If you keep predicting a woodie for a park every year then like a stopped clock, there's quite a high chance that you might be right eventually. If not, just keep saying it's coming the year after.

Yes but I'm not sure how many people would be interested in damaging their credibility in that manner.

Would love them to get a woodie, if they have the money then they are probably the park most likely in the UK at the moment to do so. Would have to hope for either GCI or Gravity Group though!

:)

It's kinda difficult to get excited about this. It could be a great layout but you still get off and you're in the worst park in the world. An EGF comparison isn't appropriate here. Flamingoland makes Holiday Park look like Tokyo DisneySea in comparison.

I heard the same thing about a wooden coaster having been purchased last week.

I'd hazard a guess that, if it's true, said wooden coaster will be a little like the one Gravity Group opened at Storybook Land in the US. Personally I'd prefer a Big Fun, but beggars can't be choosers, haha!