• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

Given FLs last ride and how abysmal that looks I'd be surprised if they went for a great big high quality woodie, if they did I'd probably visit, but I imagine they wont.

Their Vekoma is the most interesting proposition for me at the park, really don't like the look of Mumbo Jumbo, not my kind of ride at all, the booster bike looks ok, Hero looks absolutely awful, so this isn't a park I have a huge amount of faith in getting something decent.

It's a shame as has been mentioned given their investment total they could have actually built a UK competing coaster!

Anybody know what Mingo Land are doing this year? They generally open their new rides midway through Summer, so we usually start hearing bits and pieces around this time of year.

Nothing this year other than consolidation and improvement of infrastructure etc. New coaster 2016 at the earliest.

Erm, well, for all you Flamingo Land fans out there - good news! They appear to be planning on building a second Flamingo Land park on the North Yorkshire Coast, Scarborough to be precise.
The Gazette said:
"Plans could move forward next month for a brand new Flamingo Land theme park - and this time it would be indoors.

The state-of-the-art park would include a host of action packed rides, including a rollercoaster.

There would also be a ride called ‘Space Shot Tower’ which hurls thrill seekers almost 180ft into the air!

The venue is tentatively named ‘Flamingo Land Coast’, and would be built on Scarborough’s South Bay seafront - a short drive from the town’s new multi-million pound water park.

The proposed park, on the Futurist Theatre site, could also include a botanical gardens and a 55m tall lighthouse structure, as well as a cave-themed attraction.

A water-slide is planned, as well as a “lake” on the venue’s roof.

Three different themes would run through the park - subterranean, on the coastline and sky."

JS96665243.png

JS96665213.png

JS96665289.jpg

Not really a proper theme park of course, more of a seaside attraction. You would assume that Flamingo Land must be fairly well to consider a project such as this.

:)

Hmmm. The main road to Scarborough goes past flamingo land anyway? But Scarborough is having some major brass spent on it. Could be good for the town.

Mentioned it before but I can't fathom why they're choosing to build it there instead of North Bay. Quite surprised it's going ahead at all.

Wasn't this planned out a couple of years ago for the Futurist site.
I know I have seen the plans before, is it just that the developer has changed, and it is now under Mingo?

North bay has that huge water park. If they ever finish building it. Plus other things. Guessing planning permission have something aswell. But I'm with diogo. Clean up the original park first, turn away same of the riff raff.

the water park has opened, I wouldn't say huge water park either, it has 4 decent looking slides, the rest doesn't look good. This is exactly the same project they announced two years ago, and it was flamingoland back then as well.

The new water park in Scarborough does look really good but it is massively overpriced. I was walking past the other day and the site isn't very big. It is about £20pp and you are only given 4 hours in the park, it's timed via a wristband. It costs extra for every 30 minutes beyond that. However, there's an infinity pool overlooking the sea, a wave pool, some body slides and an impressive-looking funnel slide. It's on the North Bay and isn't related to this Flamingo Land project.

The South Bay is receiving far less investment at the moment so these plans are sure to be popular with the town council. Flamingo Land carries a lot of weight in Scarborough (the council nearly always supports FL as they sponsor projects and buy advertising space on buses and all over the town). I can see this getting the green light and construction going ahead once the summer season is over.

Scarborough is a funny place. I live just over an hour away, and during warm weather you guaranteed to bump into half the village you grew up in. The main problem I'm finding with this is the A64. Flamingo Is just of the A64, the road that for most people travelling to Scarborough will be on. They would have to do something amazing to make sure those driving past will visit the new place, instead of just turning off and going to the hell that is flamingo land. As a proud yorkshireman, I would like to see brass spent on the original park rather then this, not turn Scarborough into a cheap imitation of Blackpool.

What's the consensus on the tower, are they moving Cliffhanger or are they buying a new one?

Bah. Buy a few decent coasters for the current park before this, can't see anything substantial coming here, and I doubt there will be room for expansion. Tall rides at seaside parks always go well don't they?

I think that this park could be a winner. Having said that, if the current Flamingo Land relies on passing trade to and from Scarborough, surely this new park will put people off visiting the original Flamingo Land.

Also, let's not forget that Flamingo used to own a seaside park- Pleasure Island in Cleethorpes, which they nearly closed down and ended up selling off. Why they've now decided to risk doing it all again is rather confusing.

Bah. Buy a few decent coasters for the current park before this, can't see anything substantial coming here, and I doubt there will be room for expansion. Tall rides at seaside parks always go well don't they?
They have a pretty solid line up for their attendance. I'm not sure what 11 coasters would bring to the table, that 9 doesn't already do.

They don't always show great level of operational skill, but I think the line up itself is pretty solid.

They have a pretty solid line up for their attendance. I'm not sure what 11 coasters would bring to the table, that 9 doesn't already do.

They don't always show great level of operational skill, but I think the line up itself is pretty solid.

Agree, i think FL does have a good calibre of rides for what the park is. Its a good cheap thrill place. But it is let down badly by how the place is kept. and how it is used by the public.