Flamingo Land: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by soundwave96, 13th Jun 2012.

1. CGM

CGM TowersStreet Member

Re: flamingo land

Nope, I genuinely think they're terrible names, it's just we've become used to them. I know that Rita's an acronym but that doesn't make it any better as a name for a ride and although the number thirteen has connotations, it's still a number and as a ride name, it just jars for me. Alton used to be so good at names too. You got the likes of Black Hole, Nemesis, Oblivion, Hex, Ripsaw and then it all went downhill at Spinball Whizzer.

If another park opened a couple of coasters called Samantha: Princess of Rapidity and FiVe, they wouldn't get away with it, so I don't see why Alton should be let off the hook.

Also, I think a lot of the ride names at Flamingoland are pretty good. Cliff Hanger, velocity and Kumali are all good names.

2. Adam

Adam TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler

Not offended (nothing really "offends" me anyway), I just think that "Mumbo Jumbo", "Zoom" and especially "Flip Flop" are just stupid ideas for names of rides. The parks name itself is pretty bad anyway, makes the place sound more like a kiddies zoo than the major theme park which it tries to be.

As for 13 and Rita, I totally agree about those names being stupid. :)

3. slappy mcguire

slappy mcguire TowersStreet Member

Flamingoland itself is a silly name. ???

I like Flamingo Land, but I just cant love it. Why? Because Flamingo Land doesn't love me. Or anyone.

Visit Chessie, or LWV, and you feel like people are aware that you are there to have a good time, and will do their level best to make you have one. Flamingo Land on the other hand seems to have the slogan "Ride it, and get out." It is at times the worst kind of pikey parade, which is heartbreaking, given how the park has moved on since the mid Nineties.

I really do feel it doesn't really matter what they install, the staff attitude will always undermine the best efforts, and so easily that can quickly destroy a place from the inside. Massive, massive shame.

4. Stevie

Stevie TowersStreet Member

With the talk of silly names:

"Let's not go to Flamingo Land. 'Tis a silly place!"

;)

5. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure

Is it? I always thought someone just came up with that acronym as an explanation for the name. I severely doubt they named a coaster after and inverse acronym based in the manufacturer and model? I think Rita was chosen simply because, when it was meant to be themed as an American style drag racer in the 50's - Rita was a popular woman's name. Air wasn't named as such because it stood for "Aerial Inversion Ride" as many people purport - that was simply made up.

6. Thomas

Thomas TowersStreet Member

My two cents on the matter: Flamingoland is the Drayton Manor of the North. Both parks have a really good selection of flat rides, both have zoos, and neither have the best rollercoasters in the UK. As far as slagging a place off because of the names, I've never read anything so daft! It's like me saying, I shan't buy those nike trainers I've been after, they're called Nike Blackboards! How silly is that.

I understand that a ride's name is all part of it's theme, but you need to lower your expectations, Flamingoland has daft names for it's rides, it's zany, ridiculous and stupid. But, I would never say that it prevented me from having a good day out, and at the end of the day that is all that matters to both enthusiasts and the GP

The only difference is that Drayton has latched onto two very popular IP's where as Flamingoland have yet to follow. I think given a good children's IP land, they would be a much better park. That and a new rollercoaster with a consistent theme and a name which wouldn't annoy you guys!

:)

7. Rose Of Dawn

Rose Of Dawn TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Eejanaika (Fuji-Q Highland)

I think it's stupid that the place is called Flamingoland, yet the mascots seem to be Meerkats just because Compare The Market's ad campaign has taken off in a huge way. If they are that unoriginal with their advertising, it certainly doesn't make me want to go there, as picky as that sounds.

8. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Apparently Flamingoland are dismantling and removing their Maurer mouse. :)

Also, can someone edit the topic title to 'Flamingo Land' please? :)

9. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point

Removing it? Seems a bit daft. It isn't anything special, but neither is it a bad ride...

Couldn't they just theme it up a bit?

:(

10. Bear

Bear TowersStreet Member

Re: Flamingoland: General Discussion

Worryingly, it looks as if nothing is going on the old Corkscrew site for next year either, never mind the quite large space that Wild Mouse has now left. I bet they'll be going for a summer opening on whatever gets installed in any case.

11. Thomas

Thomas TowersStreet Member

It's very sad, a few years ago I'd of said Flamingoland was on the up. Now with the removal of two rollercoasters I'd say they need to get a new headline ride and quick. They need something conventional, but fun. Even something like a decent mine train would edge it for me!

12. slappy mcguire

13. Bear

Bear TowersStreet Member

Ooohh that's encouraging! I'll keep my ear out, I've heard whispers but let's see if they're true!

14. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Note that they said "something for 2013" rather than "new ride for 2013". Just the word 'something' implies to me this'll be small. 'Oh, just a little something I rustled up...'

15. slappy mcguire

Thing is FL reveal their rides in jan/feb, and open middle of the year. Something to me implies something that will take a bit of time to build, which makes sense if the rumours about the wild mouse leaving are true.

16. Lordy

Lordy TowersStreet Member

They will probably announce the removal of the Wild Mouse :p

17. Danny

Danny Leicester Melvin Rong

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Full article can be found here.

18. Dar

Dar TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    And that, I'm afraid, just about sums up Flamingminger Land for me.

19. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Actual LOL.

Oh dear.

20. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    1.8 million guests a year?

My god. We should expect so much more from them!!!