• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

Oh dear! Please don't let this be true, it would be an awful addition for the park. The park improved so much between my visit in 2004 and visit in 2010, yet progress seems to have suddenly got a lot worse.

On a positive not, at least it would mean we could ride a type of coaster we otherwise may never not! :p

:)

It must be cheap and Flamingoland haven't got much money. They love Zamperla these days!

Looks like an awful ride.

Agree with Sam and pretty much everyone else in this thread!

I'd rather have a GCI 'Big Fun' (that's Great Coasters International if anyone from Flamingo Land is reading this thread ;) ) over a Zamperla Volare anyday. One's cheap financially, the other is simply cheap looking.

The current headlining Volare model can be found at Zamperla's own park at Coney Island. And it looks painful.

Soarin' Eagle Front Row on-ride HD POV Scream Zone at Coney Island

Compared with the unique Big Fun woodie concept, there's only one choice.

Big Fun Compact Coaster

According to Wikipedia, Ravine Flyer 2 is the same amount as one of those Zamperla Volare things...

Ravine Flyer II 2 Wooden Roller Coaster Front Seat POV Waldameer Park

And the Boardwalk Bullet cost Kemah Boardwalk less than half the amount of a Zamperla Volare (that seems wrong though, it looks like it'd cost at least the same amount as the ride above)...

Boardwalk Bullet Wooden Roller Coaster POV - Kemah Boardwalk, TX

There's just no competition. :l

Edit: Wooden Warrior was part of a $5million investment over the course of 5 years (so not the only attraction built). I'd even be happy with a little woodie like that tbh.

Wooden Warrior POV Onride Roller Coaster Front Seat Quassy Amusement Park Gravity Group 1080p HD

Yeah, they could install a ZacSpin for £4m remember! Oh wait, as Scott says it's not acceptable for Flamingoland to get away with "cheap, off-the-shelf, low throughput installations."

But it is for BPB... :p

Flamingo Land are in dire need of something major though. BPB are but a ZacSpin could work as a filler ride before or after a major investment in a big coaster. :p

BigAl said:
Flamingo Land are in dire need of something major though. BPB are and a ZacSpin could work as a filler ride; but only after a major investment in a big coaster. :p

Edited ^^ :-*

The Psychoaster said:
Yeah, they could install a ZacSpin for £4m remember! Oh wait, as Scott says it's not acceptable for Flamingoland to get away with "cheap, off-the-shelf, low throughput installations."

But it is for BPB... :p
BPB isn't suffering from anything near as much bad investment as Mingo though. The only way I would see a ZacSpin working at Blackpool would be as a flat ride type installation as opposed to a major coaster. If Flamingo Land install this it'll be a major coaster installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I dont see what the issue is really, a Volare would suit Mingo. And it would work well for them installing a flying coaster.

We might think they're crap, but the GP would probably love it.

The comments made by the GP about these rides on various Youtube videos suggest that they're not fun or comfortable in the slightest. Besides that, they look downright hideous. :/

I think the only way you could make one of these rides even remotely fun was if you either A) smothered one in theming (you could incorporate the lift into some kind of tower and make the ride feel like it's flying over roof tops of a building or some towers), or B) turn it into a dark ride by enclosing the whole thing (it could be themed to a haunted tomb or mansion and you're a ghost flying past a load of ghouls and demons, etc... :p ). But all of that would cost far more than it'd be worth.

This is... erm... erm... oh. I give up trying to defend this place.

#FlamingoLandFanboyViews

BigAl said:
I think the only way you could make one of these rides even remotely fun was if you either A) smothered one in theming (you could incorporate the lift into some kind of tower and make the ride feel like it's flying over roof tops of a building or some towers), or B) turn it into a dark ride by enclosing the whole thing (it could be themed to a haunted tomb or mansion and you're a ghost flying past a load of ghouls and demons, etc... :p ). But all of that would cost far more than it'd be worth.

Whilst I appreciate most coasters in fairness, and that indeed is a good idea Al, I reckon the only theming that would suit it would be Hannibal Lector style, as the cars you sit in remind me of his suit in Silence of the Lambs!!

They like their coasters with Kidney Beans and Chianti.

That contraption is hideous aesthetically and in terms of enjoyment. This is excruciatingly frustrating to see. I want wood, and I want it now. Surely it's time for the park to "grow up", as it were? It will never be a big player if it continues this terrible cash splash on terrible hardware.

Never did I think I would see the day when one of these hateful contraptions makes its way to our shores. There are so many better coaster types out there for the money second hand and new. How much is a Vekoma Stingray in comparison to a Volare? I can't believe they're that much more expensive and the one that exists looks much better.

This just seems like a massive waste of money which would be much better spent on a wooden coaster or saved for something bigger.

Perhaps crappy throughput, in a small footprint is their goal?

After all, leccy isn't so cheap anymore is it?

I've never visited the park before. But judging by what people say on here, I won't be visiting anytime soon...

Not to mention transport looks like a pain...

Eddie said:
I've never visited the park before. But judging by what people say on here, I won't be visiting anytime soon...

Not to mention transport looks like a pain...

Well, I'm not saying that the rides there are crap, but they're crap.

Well Kumali isn't that bad (that first drop! <3 ) and neither is Mumbo Jumbo really (shame they didn't theme it as well as Timber Drop and it'd really help if they could get Green Lantern style cars for better throughput). Flip Flop is decent and their Splash Battle ride looks well-themed if you don't already hate those things! :p The zoo is actually really quite nice too. Lost River Ride, Cliff Hanger, Voodoo and Sky Flyer are good fun and if you can ignore the fact that they're falling apart, Velocity and Navigator are decent attractions as well (Navigator is more fun than Chessington's Kobra, actually).

But most of the park doesn't look too great and they really do need something to replace Corkscrew (a compact woodie with a decent theme would be a dream). The park could be worse, but it could be so much better. It'd help if they had more staff that didn't look like they'd rather be anywhere but there / there trying to entertain people. I don't think the park is worth visiting if you live too far though as there is a good number of their rides that you can experience elsewhere (usually in a better condition too :L ).

I can't help but disagree, I used to enjoy all the rides but now I find them all pointless, nauseating or painful, with the exception of Lost River Ride, and partially Velocity.

The zoo is ok, if you're into zoos and stuff, but I never really find it all that intriguing anymore. The African Lost Kingdom area is the only bit that continues to interest me in respects to animals. I can still have hope for this park but all the decent attractions are losing their novelty rapidly for me. Have to admit though, haven't yet experienced Pterodactyl and that might actually be quite good, I dunno yet...

Martyn B on CF said:
Apparently, in a standard email sent out by the park, they confirmed that there will be 3 sensational new rides for 2013!

Someone else went on to speculate that the three rides would be the Zamperla Volare, the Zamperla Air Race 8.4 and the Zamperla Aeromax. :)