• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

I flipping hope they don't choose that name. It's dreadful! Out of that or Inversion, I'd deal with the latter.

Hopefully Sik just refers to the potential sponsor, a local Scarborough based clothing firm called SikSilk that apparently also supply the park with uniforms. But you’d think though that if they are going for a summer 2022 opening they’d hurry up and just announce officially the name of the damn thing.

Flamingoland are having a celebration of "Best Of British" for The Queen's Platinum Jubilee weekend.

Given the Union Jack's all over the ride's aesthetic I would be very surprised if it doesn't open on or before that weekend.

Flamingoland are having a celebration of "Best Of British" for The Queen's Platinum Jubilee weekend.

Given the Union Jack's all over the ride's aesthetic I would be very surprised if it doesn't open on or before that weekend.
Sounds like a decent time to open it to be fair, makes sense for marketing reasons.

This and the Tory donations mean although it's the third closest park to me I'll never go here plus the fact it sounds like operations are bad and it just looks chavvy as foo3

I was back at the park yesterday and was chatting to one of the members of staff there, I asked them how Inversion was coming along and they said that it’s getting close, they are hoping to start testing soon and looking at opening for July.

Hopefully that will be the case, it looks like there’s still quite a bit work to be done around the area but I don’t think it would be ready for the Jubilee weekend unfortunately.
199ba773fde1973f2be713f8a03abde2.jpg

1d71b7e788a8d53c5ce57f276fb8e9e6.jpg

8597fa67d5ce546b532db01d198dbd09.jpg

You can just about see the train sitting there in that last picture, sorry I didn’t get a better zoomed in picture of it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the tip. I ended up having few goes on it unfortunately, I went on first of all to get the cred and I was in an inside cage. It wasn’t a pleasant experience but it wasn’t quite as horrible as I was expecting it to be. But then my daughter decided she wanted to get the cred as well so I went on it with her, this time in a outside cage, and it was dreadful. And then later on near the end of the day my son, who was adamant he wasn’t going on it, decided that he wanted to get the cred as well because his sister has it. So I went on it for a third time, again in an outside cage. We all decided that next time we visit we’ll steer well clear of it!. You really have to wonder at the thought process that went on to designing this ride. Any ride that begins with you having to chase a moving cage, go up a stepladder to get in to it, and then get shut in to a panini press and rattled around really shouldn’t have got past the drawing board stage. It’s just an awkward and uncomfortable experience from the moment you board to the moment you get stumble off.

But it has to be said that there were some rides at the park. Kumali was great, nicely themed with a good soundtrack, great to look at, and gave a surprisingly smooth ride with some good elements such as the cobra roll in to the zero-g roll which was fun.

Mumbo Jumbo was also a good ride. I loved the track layout for how bonkers it is, it looks like a real life K’nex roller coaster set and it’s just a fun ride. The way it takes the inversions slowly (especially with the Rush style restraints) makes for some interesting moments, I really liked it. And again, Velocity was a nice fun ride. It’s a pity that it’s a 1.4m ride and not a 1.3m because it would make for a great family launch coaster. It’s good that the park have a couple of coasters that are unique in the UK and Kumali, Mumbo Jumbo, Velocity, and Inversion will give them a fairly decent lineup once they finally get it open. I also have to mention how fantastic Cliffhanger was running in its combo mode. Good strong powerful blast up, a few bounces, then back up to the top for a nice long hold before plunging you forcefully downwards, what more could you want.

Interestingly though I was talking to somebody that worked there about Inversion (and how it’s going to be such a great addition to the park with those lap bar trains) and they implied that although everybody refers to it as Inversion that may well not actually be the final name.

It’s really interesting to hear the view of Flamingo Land from, I assume, a first timer.

What really struck me about this review is how you say Kumali, Velocity, Mumbo Jumbo and Inversion should stand up as a decent coaster line up.

It really got me thinking, Flamingo Land does actually have a pretty decent line up of thrill coasters, yet the general consensus of enthusiasts (myself included) is that the place is a bit of a joke.

Perhaps the shoddy presentation, weird layout and shocking operations of the park overshadow the pretty decent coaster line up. I don’t know, but ask me where I’d rather visit out of, say, Oakwood, Drayton Manor, Paultons Park, WMSP, or Flamingo Land, and Flamingo would always be my last choice, despite them arguably having the best coaster line up of the parks listed. There must be a reason for that, but I honestly couldn’t tell you exactly what it is.

Noticed on the park map Union Jacks on the trains for this new coaster. Maybe it will get a patriotic theme, Blackpool style? Maybe Platinum (if it opens this year) also goes with the colour,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 23.49.26.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 23.49.26.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
It’s really interesting to hear the view of Flamingo Land from, I assume, a first timer.

What really struck me about this review is how you say Kumali, Velocity, Mumbo Jumbo and Inversion should stand up as a decent coaster line up.

It really got me thinking, Flamingo Land does actually have a pretty decent line up of thrill coasters, yet the general consensus of enthusiasts (myself included) is that the place is a bit of a joke.

Perhaps the shoddy presentation, weird layout and shocking operations of the park overshadow the pretty decent coaster line up. I don’t know, but ask me where I’d rather visit out of, say, Oakwood, Drayton Manor, Paultons Park, WMSP, or Flamingo Land, and Flamingo would always be my last choice, despite them arguably having the best coaster line up of the parks listed. There must be a reason for that, but I honestly couldn’t tell you exactly what it is.
Very, very poor operations is what it is!
Unless you go on a very quiet day...when some of the big coasters may be closed for "repairs", the queues are very slow moving, unthemed, and unsheltered.
I could go early on next week as I am staying close by, but I simply can't be arsed.

To be honest I wasn’t expecting a great trip there because I’d heard about how bad things had been during the past couple of years there but I was pleasantly surprised that it was ok. I mean I’m not saying that it was an outstanding park or anything, but it was fine, definitely not a dreadful experience, but it was ok with some good rides. Ops were fine, a little slow on Kumali (partially due to them not loading up the air gates for some reason), and most things were running with the exception of Flip Flop and Navigator which were both stated in advance on the website as being down. I visited the park twice, once on the Sunday, and then again a week later on a Saturday and both times things were fine. It wasn’t too busy at all and I think the most I waited was for 25 mins for Kumali on the Saturday, with typical wait times of 20 mins for Mumbo Jumbo and maybe 10 mins for Velocity. But of course I’d expect things to be quite different during the school holidays as opposed to a weekend in May.

They’ve got quite a few coasters in the park but once you take out the kiddie coasters that leaves Hero, which is absolutely awful, Twistosaurus which is ok I suppose, and then the trio of Kumali, Mumbo Jumbo, and Velocity, which are all decent coasters. Not earth shattering ones of course but all pretty fun and they ride well. When you take those three and add in Cliffhanger, which is running a brilliant combo mode cycle and is nice and forceful, I think that’s not a bad selection of rides, especially given how unique Mumbo Jumbo is and to an extent Velocity as well. And then you can add to that the upcoming opening of Inversion, which may well be a superb coaster. It’s not a park that you’d frequently want to visit, but will it be worth a trip once Inversion opens? Yeah, definitely I think. I just hope that they don’t screw things up with poor ops in the park once Inversion opens and it gets busy for the summer.

Last edited: