• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

Flowery [redacted outside the tavern]?

Those water dummy bags are pretty floppy, which isn't ideal for a ride with lap bar style restraints and significant hangtime. The older style rigid dummies would probably have been a better option. Good to see it finally testing though.

Was this definitely the first run? The track had tyre wear all over it, even since the repaint.

Was this definitely the first run? The track had tyre wear all over it, even since the repaint.

Regardless of whether it was or wasn’t the first time the train had been sent around the track, I think that it’s definitely fair to say that it was the first time they sent it with dummies, hence this unexpected result.

And again, I ask the question, why one earth would you do your first dummy test run during opening hours? Whenever you watch any behind the scenes type construction videos of coasters, the first test runs are always done at night time when the parks are closed and there are as few onlookers as possible.

Fingers crossed it'll be open by the end of July, as I'll be going out for days with my parents from the 18th-22 and will do Mingo if so. How busy do we think it could be around that time? It's just before the schools break up. Hoping it won't be too busy because I won't be able to get the access pass as my parents can't go on the big rides (the pass would require me to have a companion on the rides). I'm perfectly capable of going on rides on my own mind.

Fingers crossed it'll be open by the end of July, as I'll be going out for days with my parents from the 18th-22 and will do Mingo if so. How busy do we think it could be around that time? It's just before the schools break up. Hoping it won't be too busy because I won't be able to get the access pass as my parents can't go on the big rides (the pass would require me to have a companion on the rides). I'm perfectly capable of going on rides on my own mind.

In think you might just be ok. The schools break up in North Yorkshire from 26th July onwards so it looks the week after you visit. Obviously the dates for the surrounding areas could be a little different but you should be ok. You might well get some school trips but make sure you get to the park early. They often tend to start running the rides just before the advertised 10am start time so if you are there and in the park early you might be able to tick off a couple of coasters before the school parties start arriving. Fingers crossed for you that Inversion has opened by then so that you get to ride it.

One train being dispatched every 10 minutes won't soak up anything bar your enthusiasm for this hobby.
I wouldn’t be so sure that Inversion will have low throughput; it has 2 trains of 24 riders, making for a capacity of 1,250pph!

With that in mind, it should be quite the queue muncher, surely?

With 24 to a train anything over 1000/hr would be decent even from a park that cared about throughput (40 trains an hour is respectable from this sort of ride). Mingo might get 400/hr if they run both trains, which would still make it their highest throughput coaster by a huge margin

I wouldn’t be so sure that Inversion will have low throughput; it has 2 trains of 24 riders, making for a capacity of 1,250pph!

With that in mind, it should be quite the queue muncher, surely?
I admire your optimism, but this is Flamingo Land. So even 1 dispatch every 10 minutes is bordering on the optimistic side.

I would say they should speak to Thorpe Park to see how it’s done but my last visit Colossus was getting around 280 per hour I probably think that isn’t the best idea 😂

Meanwhile in Germany we can talk about F.L.Y getting 1400pph running trains that seat 20, Blue Fire getting 1,720pph and Olympia Looping capable of nearly 3000pph. Assuming normal Mingo ops of 5 mins a train that's 288pph, a day of lets be generous and say 8 hours it is getting 2,300 per day.

Surely there’s only so slowly a train can be checked, though?

Granted, I’ve never been to Flamingo Land, but even if their staff don’t run up and down the platforms Europa-style, and check at a more leisurely pace, checking restraints and getting people boarded shouldn’t take more than 1-2 minutes or so.

As an example, somewhere like Thorpe Park, which I’m repeatedly told has dreadful operations, still does a decent job, in my opinion; at least 2 trains on everything, and really decent dispatch intervals.

I guess only running things on 1 train might inhibit the dispatch interval (are Flamingo Land prone to that?), but assuming the ride takes about 2 minutes or so and the checking takes about 1-2 minutes, that would still lead to a throughput of between 360pph and 480pph. Surely Flamingo Land could hit that, or more likely exceed the 500pph threshold?

Meanwhile in Germany we can talk about F.L.Y getting 1400pph running trains that seat 20, Blue Fire getting 1,720pph and Olympia Looping capable of nearly 3000pph. Assuming normal Mingo ops of 5 mins a train that's 288pph, a day of lets be generous and say 8 hours it is getting 2,300 per day.
And of those 2,300 punters a day, 2000 will have paid for a Q-Buster ticket, and the 300 in the real queue raced there at first opening, and are still in the queue mid afternoon.
The week mentioned will be hell, all the N Yorks school trips will focus on mingo now Lightwater has kiddied out.

Mingo can be astonishingly slow at times. Take Kumali for instance - it only has 1 train these days so capacity isn't going to be great. The ride has air gates but I've never seen them let people wait behind them: guests are only allowed into the station when the gates have already opened, which significantly slows down the loading process. Dispatch intervals approaching 10 minutes are (sadly) standard.

On other rides it's a similar story. The first time I rode Mumbo Jumbo they were getting less than 150/hr - Nemesis front row can beat that! The ride is set up for 2 car loading but I've never seen it do so. They started out with 5 cars, last time I was there only 2 were visible.