• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food and Beveraaage!

Been meaning to post in here since being on park last week.

Stayed on resort Friday night and did the park Friday and Saturday. On the Friday night we were eating in SG (awesome as ever) so decided to just have something to keep us going whilst on park and I opted for a "Quarter Pounder" from the Burger Kitchen in Mutiny Bay. I've put the Quarter Pounder in brackets as I'd be very surprised if the pre-cooked weight was a quarter of a pound, it was very thin!

Anyway, I chose just a burger option and whilst I was waiting perused the menu on the side. Honestly Merlin you spoil us with choice, a whole FIVE burgers to choose from. Stop please, I can't take it all in at once! Where's the options to add bacon to your burger? Optional onion rings? How hard is it to maybe chuck some bacon onto the grill next to the burgers you're already cooking or some onion rings into the fryers alongside the chips, which is essentially what they do in places such as McDonald's and Burger King. From what I could see there also didn't seem to be an option to go large if you wanted to, unlike what FCC do offer.

Also, without MAP discount, the prices seem quite steep to be honest. Although admittedly a lot cheaper than Burger King was, the drink prices seem to be a complete rip off! I think it was £2.50 for less than 500ml of Coca Cola BEFORE MAP discount. That is an extortinate price for a drink. I'm pretty sure you can get a 500ml bottle of Coke on park for less than this can't you?

Staff wise, the people working in the Mutiny Bay one where friendly enough and engaged me in talk about my day. I had to wait for my burger, however because it was dead I didn't mind as I knew I was then getting something that was freshly cooked rather than something that had been sat around going dry for a couple of hours. The burger itself was passable at best, it was what you would expect from an in house fast food joint really, I can't say much more than that.

In short, for the choice on offer and the prices they're charging I think it's a bad jam really. I can understand it's in it's opening season, but I don't think it would have hurt them to beef up the menu a touch really. If you look at what was on offer before from McDonald's and Burger King (granted they're big multi national food franchises) and then look at this menu and the prices charged for what they're offering it's very poor in my opinion :/

On the other hand, having said all of that, I ate at FCC on Saturday for the first time and thought this was fantastic. A varied menu with plenty on offer, good tasting chicken (actually preferred what I had to KFC :p,) thought the whole red button challenge was a fun idea and the staff were pleasant enough. I think the prices were still a touch on the steep side for your standard guest, but other than that no complaints towards FCC at all. A much better eatery than Burger Kitchen :)

I totally agree. Not much choice. I wanted chicken nuggets, they do offer them but only a children's option which contains........TWO NUGGETS! Lol JOWK!!

badlydrawnkelBel said:
I totally agree. Not much choice. I wanted chicken nuggets, they do offer them but only a children's option which contains........TWO NUGGETS! Lol JOWK!!

That's disgraceful. How can they even think that's reasonable?

badlydrawnkelBel said:

Again, another point that highlights the lack of choice on offer at these outlets. Chicken Nuggets are a staple fast food offering and one that isn't hard OR expensive to implement.

badlydrawnkelBel said:
I was just go smacked........of course two nuggets is going to fill me up....NOT!!!!

You know what's going to happen now...TheMan will read this and we will never hear the end of nugget-gate!! I thought we had managed to lay all that to rest now...;)

And I honestly don't know why anyone chooses to eat anywhere else when Pizza Pasta Buffet is available! :D ;)

Pixie-Ro said:
badlydrawnkelBel said:
I was just go smacked........of course two nuggets is going to fill me up....NOT!!!!

You know what's going to happen now...TheMan will read this and we will never hear the end of nugget-gate!! I thought we had managed to lay all that to rest now...;)

And I honestly don't know why anyone chooses to eat anywhere else when Pizza Pasta Buffet Woodcutters is available! :D ;)

Edited for accuracy and all that...

They really seemed to be struggling with the lunch time rush on Monday in Woodcutters. Not helped by people who were waiting to be seated all milling around inside to keep out of the cold. Though it was just as cold inside.
Seemingly lots of staff around, but at times just one serving. This almost lead to one couple who had been waiting for ages to be served to almost lose their table when staff just assumed it had been vacated. Queue a rather irrate guest who wasn't too happy.
Didn't have any problems ourselves. It just seemed a bit disorganised. I guess they maybe were not expecting thr number of people who all seemed to turn up at the same time, especially considering the park wasn't all that busy.

Pixie-Ro said:
badlydrawnkelBel said:

And I honestly don't know why anyone chooses to eat anywhere else when Pizza Pasta Buffet is available! :D ;)

£3

3 f'ing POUNDS!!!

For 2 SLITHERS OF CHICKEN GREASE!

Burger King was a million times better. Oh and I chuckled at this:

LiamC said:
I had to wait for my burger, however because it was dead I didn't mind as I knew I was then getting something that was freshly cooked rather than something that had been sat around going dry for a couple of hours.

I think why it so expensive, is that regardless of which Burger Kitchen (wow, creative name... BK...) you go for, you will end up waiting whilst they try and find where they put it - and pay for the staff to talk to you for an bonus 5 extra minutes.

One of the biggest rip off, worst tasting, inefficient "fast (er, yeah right) food (just about)" eateries I have ever had the displeasure of visiting.

And now they've gone and ripped a ton of decent theme out of the Counts Cauldron at Chessington to put what sounds like an EVEN WORSE version than Alton's!

Staff were friendly, fake grass on the roof was interesting, and boy is the building... er yellow.

There redeeming features covered.

I really want to try Burger Kitchen now...but more for morbid curiosity than anything else.

It was a sad day indeed when McDonald's left the park.

Im pretty sure McD did a double quarter pounder meal once at Alton Towers, quite a novelty, had never seen one anywhere else before :D , must have been 1998 ish.

This new burger place sounds grim, had high hopes for it, with decent value.

The only place i would eat now is the pizza place, woodcutters is pretty bad, stale buns etc.

I think these days, its brekkie at McD , dairy milk and a small bottle of coke at towers, and a stop off at wetherspoons on the way back for some value.

The massive problem with Burger Kitchen (which I hope improves) is that they are advertising and charging for premium products, eg proper hand made burgers, 100% beef, etc, etc. Yet you are given cheap nasty looking fast food, which im sure people would be fine with, if that is what was being advertised and charged.

I would love some proper good quality burgers that tasted great.

Mum and brother went the other day, Brother got chips and mum a coffee (they'd taken sandwiches etc.)

Mum's view on coffee: 'Certainly not the best I've had from that place, considering it was nicer coffee when it was Burger King, it was a bit disappointing.'

Brother: 'they were crap'.

I just think if they're not able to serve something that was better than McDonalds or Burger King, then what's the point?

I certainly miss the time when McDonalds was in the park. Cheap meals, and kept the others free from Monopoly which they now have again :/

I agree totally with Balb0wa - McDonalds was the best burger joint Alton ever had. Street prices and yummy burgers. I'd still rate Burger Kitchen over Burger King anyday though!

djtruefitt said:
The massive problem with Burger Kitchen (which I hope improves) is that they are advertising and charging for premium products, eg proper hand made burgers, 100% beef, etc, etc. Yet you are given cheap nasty looking fast food, which im sure people would be fine with, if that is what was being advertised and charged.

I would love some proper good quality burgers that tasted great.

This is my main gripe with it in a nutshell. When it was BK and McDonalds you knew you where you were with them and knew what to expect. However now you're led to believe that it's something amazing that is worth the prices charged, yet if anything it's worse than what we had before unfortunately.

884567_464693310267785_680976595_o.jpg

Picture taken from Towersstreet's Facebook page. This is of one of their "premium" fish burgers which quite frankly looks like it's just been launched at the bun. This is in no way high quality produce I'm afraid! The way it's been pushed and the way it's turnt out smells of Th13teen's marketing tbh :p

CoasterCrazyChris said:
God I hate Merlinisation...

Whilst I understand what you're saying and sort of agree I don't think these are an entirely bad idea, just that they've been implemented and executed poorly. My thought was that the idea behind this was that Merlin would come in and undercut what the franchises beforehand had on offer and keep 100% of the profits for the company themselves. Which from a company point of view is a good move. Why have something on park that you can do yourself and make possibly more money from?

Unfortunately whilst this still might be the idea, it needs a lot of work before it becomes reputable and as diverse as what has gone before it. In my eyes they either need to look at how they promote their goods in wording and marketing terms or revamp their menu quite considerably.

It seems to be the case that the marketing department are trying to market something that doesnt exist. Here are a few quotes off the website:

At The Burger Kitchen we take our Burgers very seriously! So feast your eyes and taste buds on our new restaurants in Cloud Cuckoo Land, Mutiny Bay and Forbidden Valley that combine premium ingredients to create the best burgers possible!

The Burger Kitchen are our new fabulous restaurants offering succulent burgers combining premium ingredients to create the best burgers possible! With a menu that provides great variety.

I think its safe to say the burgers they currently sell do not use premium ingredients, are certainly not the best burgers possible and there is very little variety!

Here is a copy of the menu http://www.altontowers.com/uploadedFiles/Page_Content/Events_and_Info/Food,_Shopping_and_Photos/the-burger-kitchen-menu.pdf
Quarter pounder meal - £6.50
Chicken premium meal - £5.95
Fish fillet meal - £5.95
Hamburger meal - £5.75
Spicy beanburger meal - £5.95

Kids hamburger meal - £3.95
Kids chicken tenders meal - £3.95

Ice cream swirl - £1.95

The marketing and promotion of The Burger Kitchen makes out that they sell proper handmade burgers which are of high quality. In reality they sell fast food burgers and the quality is not as good as say McDonalds. It is a bit of a Thirteen scenario. Would be interesting to know how it has gone down with the public.

:)